2008 Toyota RAV4

Based on 686 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Great small SUV but issues developed in time

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reason: Issues

Pros: "roomy for a small SUV-good mileage-practical"

Cons: "Known issues that flare up. Do your research."

"We bought it used and I wanted to love this car but we traded it back in after 1 year of ownership. We started having issues with it within the first month. We bought a 4cyl model so I did not expect a rocket. The power that the 4cyl provide was adequate for what I thought it should have. If I wanted a rocket, I would have opted for the 6 cyl version. The interior was very roomy for 4 people but when adding the 5th, things got tight. Vacation was not fun with 3 kids in the back. Love the storage compartment in the belly of the rear. Rear seat would also slide forward or backward to provide more or less leg room when needed. The rear split seat will even recline to help with sleeping kids. Very practical car that was easy on gas. The automatic transmission did not shift properly from 3 to 4th. We found that if you manually shifted it, it was fine. The transmission never was to the point to where you could not drive with fear. Just annoying but we managed. I had read of issues with the transmission but never persued it since we found a workaround with manually shifting it. The VSC/4WD/ Maintenance required lights came on after a few months. In researching this, alot of owners are having issues as the miles rack up. The cruise control will not work when these warning lights are on. Our car never ran differently, so it was aggravating that the lights would come on and also make the cruise and 4WD inoperable. Some research suggested that it might be a costly CO2 sensor. We just kept driving it. Another known issue is to watch the oil level since the 4cyl and 6 cyl models are known to consume oil. The car never smoked, never was underpowered, nor leaked oil but would need oil added after 1000 miles. Not good when using full Synthetic oils. All in all, a good little car but try to purchase a warranty that will cover some of these known issues so your not left with the cost of these known issues. We traded it back to the Toyota dealer that sold it to us so we did not feel guilty of not telling them of the issues we had. We just disconnected the battery to reset the warning lights until we could trade it in. When doing this, our warning lights would stay off for about 40 miles before coming back on."

BEST EVER VEHICLE

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "Suv for the gas of a shoe box"

"Own this Suv since 2/8/10 and it is great.Gas milage is 25-26 mpg city with a/c and 30 mpg hwy truck does not know what the dealer is.Both my wife a I love this suv.We have the 180 hp 4 cyl and has more than ample power getting on hwy."

Good value for money

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Roomy & good to drive"

Cons: "Gas mileage & road noise on highways"

"I bought a certified 2011 RAV4 in Jul-12 based on strong recommendation from some of my buddies in the Middle East. I should say I am not disappointed overall. While the SUV handles itself well on the highways, the road noise is on the higher side & gas mileage is less than expected (19mpg city & 22mpg highway). Considering to trade it in for a Mazda CX5 or Acura RDX soon."

We love our 2012 V6

By on Monday, October 19, 2015

Pros: "Strong V6, Spacious Interior, Sunroof, Reliable"

Cons: "Small Gas Tank, Some Squeaks and Rattling"

"We traded in our BMW 3 series after we had our first child. In that car you could barely fit a baby seat in the back and we couldn't find a stroller to fit in the trunk. I wanted to trade up into an X3 but couldn't justify the price tag of 40K (for certified pre-owned). Granted I'm comparing apples to oranges BUT I just happened to test a V6 Rav4 and was blown away by the acceleration, comfort and handling. The V6 puts out 269 HP and runs on regular gas. Even in city driving I average about 23-25 miles which is not bad considering I drive the car hard. My only complaint is that the car has a small gas tank of 11 gallons so on long road trips we have stop often to fill up. I have the base model with 17 in wheels, sunroof and bluetooth with controls on the steering wheel. Other than that, the car is no frills. Which is fine by me. The controls are easy to use, the interior is very roomy, when you fold down the seat, it's massive, the rear seats also slide forward and back and even recline. I love this car because it's cheap to maintain and it's very reliable. It's always going to start. Okay, another small complaint is that there are a few rattles on the inside. Other than that, I would buy another Rav4 but they dropped the V6 which means we will likely move up to a Highlander."

It's okay

By on Sunday, February 24, 2008

"I've had this vehicle for just over six months. I bought it after trading in my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I absolutely loved but gave me nothing but problems mechanically. I like the RAV, but I don't love it. It's very uncomfortable, the seats are horrible! The display is invisible if you are wearing sun glasses. It's so powerful that even touching the gas pedal sends you forward like a rocket. And the sound system is a lot to be desired. Things I like are the styling, the moonroof and the value of a Toyota product. And I don't mind the back door opening out, being short it was always hard to reach the Jeep door that went way up over my head, so this door is just right for me."

Surprisingly roomy and comfortable-no frills

By on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pros: "roomy, comfortable, reliable,"

Cons: "city MPG,"

"We bought this SUV because we needed a reliable, affordable vehicle for traveling from FL to TN a few times a year and we've been very happy. It has plenty of room for my wife and I plus our 45 pound dog. It's comfortable on long car rides and the 4cyl has enough power to merge into speeding traffic. The only negatives are that we only get around 23MPG city-I was hoping for 25 with it being a 4cyl. Also, it's not a luxury vehicle, the interior has hints of cheapness. This thing is incredibly roomy inside for it's size. I've hauled everything from plants to 1,000 pounds of lumber-I don't recommend this. Overall, we're very happy."

Sport V6 116,000 miles Fantastic car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"Reliable and running strong all these miles later. Very safe car and really fun (fast) to drive. Like the full time 4wd, JBL stereo (paid extra for) sunroof. Low maintanence with no major problems at all. Would not hesitate to buy another one. Won't need to anytime soon though as this one just keeps keepin' on like she was brand new."

Love this vehicle!

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, handles well"

Cons: "seats could be more comfortable"

"Great car! I have the V6 and it is fun to drive, it's very quick and handles great. It's fantastic in snow, I used to live in Portland where we would get snow and then ice, all the other vehicles would spin out and couldn't make it up hills and I had no issues in the Rav4 (no chains or cables either!). The car has a great traction control system that allows the vehicle to correct itself when needed, it's really amazing. The breaks are also great, it stops on a dime. I feel very safe in this car. My only complaints would be the seats are not very comfortable for long trips, no heated seats and road noise is higher than I want. I think what I am looking for is probably an upgrade to a higher end car that would include more comfort features. For the price, this is a great car."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"I was laid back at the 2.5 ltr 4 cylinder til i drove it. It has more torque and Hp than my V6 sonata had that i traded. Great car like ride,22-23mpg city in summer and winter 25-26 city and 28 hwy. It can comfortably tow 1500 lbs.Fit and finish is flawless. Gets some getting use to the "Smart Key",you never need the keys in hand anymore. Insurance is about $20 more per 6 months but it is a 28K rav.I needed a suv that i can get in and out easy,plus the drivers seat adjusts with lumbar,almost can sleep in it.A/c cools the truck off very very quickly."

Rav4 Sport

By on Saturday, October 06, 2007

"This vehicle is the real deal! The combination of power it provides and the mileage it gets are unparallelled in any other that I've driven. The backseat has plenty of room to stretch out my 6'2" frame. My only complaint is that the driving position is a bit tight for me. My smaller wife loves to drive it....everywhere. So much so that we need a 50K warranty. This one will be up in a year and a half!"