2008 Toyota RAV4

Based on 666 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Good Balance of Features and Price

By on Saturday, December 01, 2012

Pros: "Great value for the price, reasonable gas mileage."

Cons: "Some road noise at highway speeds."

"The V6 engine is a worthwhile option. It only gives up about 1 or 2 MPG, versus the 4 cyl, but gives a dramatic increase in performance, whether climbing mountain roads or passing trucks on the open highway. The seats are relatively comfortable, even on long trips. The car handles well at all speeds and on a variety of roads, although you get some road noise at higher speeds. If you're not hauling a whole soccer team or bales of hay for your horse, there's still plenty of room for 4 adults + 1 kid, or a reasonable amount of cargo with the rear seats folded down. Altogether, this is a reliable, economical SUV. I put 170k miles on my 1998 RAV4, traded it for a 2008 Sport V6 4x4, which now has 55k miles. I've been happy with both cars and would definitely buy another RAV4. But if you're thinking about the V6 engine, get one now because they're discontinued as of the 2013 model year."

Great small SUV but issues developed in time

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reason: Issues

Pros: "roomy for a small SUV-good mileage-practical"

Cons: "Known issues that flare up. Do your research."

"We bought it used and I wanted to love this car but we traded it back in after 1 year of ownership. We started having issues with it within the first month. We bought a 4cyl model so I did not expect a rocket. The power that the 4cyl provide was adequate for what I thought it should have. If I wanted a rocket, I would have opted for the 6 cyl version. The interior was very roomy for 4 people but when adding the 5th, things got tight. Vacation was not fun with 3 kids in the back. Love the storage compartment in the belly of the rear. Rear seat would also slide forward or backward to provide more or less leg room when needed. The rear split seat will even recline to help with sleeping kids. Very practical car that was easy on gas. The automatic transmission did not shift properly from 3 to 4th. We found that if you manually shifted it, it was fine. The transmission never was to the point to where you could not drive with fear. Just annoying but we managed. I had read of issues with the transmission but never persued it since we found a workaround with manually shifting it. The VSC/4WD/ Maintenance required lights came on after a few months. In researching this, alot of owners are having issues as the miles rack up. The cruise control will not work when these warning lights are on. Our car never ran differently, so it was aggravating that the lights would come on and also make the cruise and 4WD inoperable. Some research suggested that it might be a costly CO2 sensor. We just kept driving it. Another known issue is to watch the oil level since the 4cyl and 6 cyl models are known to consume oil. The car never smoked, never was underpowered, nor leaked oil but would need oil added after 1000 miles. Not good when using full Synthetic oils. All in all, a good little car but try to purchase a warranty that will cover some of these known issues so your not left with the cost of these known issues. We traded it back to the Toyota dealer that sold it to us so we did not feel guilty of not telling them of the issues we had. We just disconnected the battery to reset the warning lights until we could trade it in. When doing this, our warning lights would stay off for about 40 miles before coming back on."

Great vehicle, responsive, comfortable.

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Pros: "Everything about this car is a 10."

Cons: "NONE"

"This is an outstanding car to own. It is very safe and you have very good total visibility. The V-6 gives me the power when I need it and the MPG is very good. I will purchase another RAV/4 when the time comes. Not sure when that will be as I have not had one thing go wrong with the car since it left the showroom in 2008."

Great value. stylish and utilitarian

By on Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pros: "Looks, acceleration, storage room, value"

Cons: "MPG"

"With the kids grown and out of the house, its the perfect non-midlife crisis car. Looks good, drives great, and even with the 4-cylinder engine it gets off the line pretty quickly. Won't smoke a BMW M3, but then for $24k original price it performs really well. Tons of room, surprising so; a single mattress fits in the back with the 2nd row seats down. Only negative is the mpg is consistently around 21 with almost all in-town driving. And the way the back opens can be a pain, requries extra room such as when unloading at the airport."

Fantastic compact SUV! And a Toyota to boot!

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, resale is best there is!"

"What a great vehicle. MPG is wonderful(bought 4 cyl model). I do no hauling so had no need for bigger engine. Ride was a bit choppy at first but after replacing stock tires smoothed out considerably and increased MPG. I had broken my tailbone years ago and have been thru numerous vehicles,e.g. Cadillac, Lincoln, Chrysler, which are all built for plush and not correct posture, and could only drive 1/2 hour or so but with the Rav I can now drive for hours with no problem because my body is now being held properly even though the seating is very firm. Unfortunately, I think we can learn alot from foreign mfg. about these types of things!"

Very good

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "4 WD...amazing in snow!"

Cons: "MPG not so good for a 2.5L engine, AVG 24 MPG"

"Bought this car because my wife and I are going to have a baby. So far so good, no problems yet. I got the 2.5L and I enjoy it very well. Enough power for me. I used to have a 99 Legacy and that was a 2.5L as well, but this one feels way faster and stronger. ALL wheel drive is amazing, I live in Northern New mexico and take this car snowboarding all the time! It handles very well on sleek and deep snow! defiantly not a sports car or a truck but I do recommend it for families with kids because of Toyota's reliability, safety and you know you wont ever get stuck in snow!!!! (if you have snow where you live!)"

Love my 2011 rav4 sport

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage for suv"

Cons: "Back middle seat is not ideal for infant seat"

"I bought this car because we have 2 German shepherds and needed a larger car to transport them in. Got a great deal with Toyota they worked hard with the finance company and got me 0.0% apr which is huge! A 15 months after buying the car we had our first baby and I'm so glad we have the rav4. All the extra storage under the floor in the trunk is great for storing my daughters stroller an other baby gear. Only negative is that you can not put the infant seat in the center of the back seat. The middle is the safest place for a baby so they say but when you try to put the infant seat in the middle, the seatbelt doesn't hold the carseat base secure and it slides all around. Just took a $700 mile road trip and got 30mpg. Practically unheard of for an suv. LOVE MY RAV!"

BEST EVER VEHICLE

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "Suv for the gas of a shoe box"

"Own this Suv since 2/8/10 and it is great.Gas milage is 25-26 mpg city with a/c and 30 mpg hwy truck does not know what the dealer is.Both my wife a I love this suv.We have the 180 hp 4 cyl and has more than ample power getting on hwy."

one nice car

By on Saturday, April 07, 2007

"Well I'm on my second toyota rav 4, and absolutly love this car. I believe that it is one of best cars I have owned"

disapointed

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "Engine seems reliable"

Cons: "Rest of car problematic"

"Had to change O2 sensor at 38,000 miles ($300)and water pump at 45000 ($430) Toyota wouldn't back their product. Both prices lower than they would have been if I had the work done at a dealership. Some people were charged $1400 to change water pump at a dealership. Was told at dealership I needed new struts and shocks while they were doing a recall. I was told they were shot. Took it to my mechanic and he said they both have 30,000 miles left on them, go figure!"