2005 Toyota RAV4

Based on 393 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

290,000 Miles STRONG

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "reliable, quality, re-sale value, safe"

"Words can't describe how pleased I am with my Rav4 with almost 300,000 miles and no mechanical issues! Everything still works fine. Great MPG, safe, and reliable enough to drive daily for a very long time. YES I recommend the Rav4!!!"

Typical (good) Toyota

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Didn't want to deal with poor gas mileage from my larger truck, so I traded in for this RAV4 with 40k miles. Commute in it daily in stop & go traffic and consistently get 26-MPG. Not bad for an SUV. The two negatives I read about the car were that the interior parts weren't as durable as they'd like and that it was underpowered. I haven't experienced any interior problems, but I do agree that Toyota should have bumped it to a 2.2 or 2.4L engine. Overall, however, it's a great little vehicle."

Favorite Vehicle I Have Owned - Great Gas Mileage!

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Price, Reliability and Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Simple interior, small cargo space"

"I bought my RAV4 with 107K miles for $8,000. This model of RAV4 have transmission problems due to a bad Electronic Control Module (ECM or computer). Toyota has fixed the issue but requires the purchase and install of a new ECM. I bought my RAV4 with a reconditioned transmission and the replacement of the ECM. So, I have a 2002 RAV4 with a resolved transmission issue. My family is brand loyal to Toyota quality and have owned several Toyota vehicles over the years. We drive our cars into the dirt. I plan to pass down my RAV4 to my 12 yr old son in a few years. I am confident it will be able to handle the high mileage and a lead foot. Go Toyota! I love what you do for me :)"

A solid AWD CUV (car-based utility vehicle)

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, great AWD, good utility"

Cons: "audio system is not great"

""CUV" [car-based utility vehicle] is what the sales associate told me in 2003 when I bought this used 2001 Toyota RAV4. It had about 26K miles at time of purchase. It was purchased as a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned. NO MAJOR PROBLEMS FOR 10 YEARS. In 2005, I was in the passenger seat while my friend was driving in a snow storm. Friend was driving too fast for the conditions (human error, not mechanical failure), the car began to spin off the road, bounced off a dirt embankment and ended up in a ditch on its side. All passengers were wearing seat belts. Airbags did not need to deploy. 20 minutes later tow truck and police arrived (no alcohol or substances involved, this was road-condition related). RAV4 was flipped back to its wheels and winched out of the ditch. Damage report: One mud guard. No other damage. We were able to continue driving (albeit slower) the rest of the journey. I continued driving this vehicle through March of 2013, still with no major powertrain issues. Some convenience issues arose after about 8 years: rear door stopped responding to keyless entry. Then same with driver door after 9 years. But no major issues for the duration of my ownership. Passed 100,000 miles in 2012. Still a good vehicle, but wanted a change... next vehicle, Jeep Wrangler. But I would certainly recommend this vehicle. A good, solid AWD SUV (or CUV, although to this day, I have still never heard that phrase anywhere else). The car drives very well, especially on hills with the great low-end torque. It's high profile was nice for visibility in traffic. Drives smooth and although slow to accelerate, I generally am a conservative driver. Gas mileage was consistently between 19-25. Conservative driving style helps. Removable back seats is a GREAT function. As long as you have a place to store them when out of the car. Truck access from cabin is also nice. Highly recommend this car. Later RAV4 models were a bit longer, more "wagon-like" but the 2001 was no longer than a 1994 toyota carolla (my previous vehicle)."

Great

By on Friday, September 16, 2011

"I bought a 2003 used in 2004 with only a little over 11,000 miles.....I drive a lot...basically it's a commuter....the only major repair was my Catilac converter....did all my oil changes and had changed a few sets of tire...this car is great...."