2004 Toyota RAV4

Based on 396 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

290,000 Miles STRONG

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "reliable, quality, re-sale value, safe"

"Words can't describe how pleased I am with my Rav4 with almost 300,000 miles and no mechanical issues! Everything still works fine. Great MPG, safe, and reliable enough to drive daily for a very long time. YES I recommend the Rav4!!!"

Typical (good) Toyota

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Didn't want to deal with poor gas mileage from my larger truck, so I traded in for this RAV4 with 40k miles. Commute in it daily in stop & go traffic and consistently get 26-MPG. Not bad for an SUV. The two negatives I read about the car were that the interior parts weren't as durable as they'd like and that it was underpowered. I haven't experienced any interior problems, but I do agree that Toyota should have bumped it to a 2.2 or 2.4L engine. Overall, however, it's a great little vehicle."

Favorite Vehicle I Have Owned - Great Gas Mileage!

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Price, Reliability and Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Simple interior, small cargo space"

"I bought my RAV4 with 107K miles for $8,000. This model of RAV4 have transmission problems due to a bad Electronic Control Module (ECM or computer). Toyota has fixed the issue but requires the purchase and install of a new ECM. I bought my RAV4 with a reconditioned transmission and the replacement of the ECM. So, I have a 2002 RAV4 with a resolved transmission issue. My family is brand loyal to Toyota quality and have owned several Toyota vehicles over the years. We drive our cars into the dirt. I plan to pass down my RAV4 to my 12 yr old son in a few years. I am confident it will be able to handle the high mileage and a lead foot. Go Toyota! I love what you do for me :)"

A solid AWD CUV (car-based utility vehicle)

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, great AWD, good utility"

Cons: "audio system is not great"

""CUV" [car-based utility vehicle] is what the sales associate told me in 2003 when I bought this used 2001 Toyota RAV4. It had about 26K miles at time of purchase. It was purchased as a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned. NO MAJOR PROBLEMS FOR 10 YEARS. In 2005, I was in the passenger seat while my friend was driving in a snow storm. Friend was driving too fast for the conditions (human error, not mechanical failure), the car began to spin off the road, bounced off a dirt embankment and ended up in a ditch on its side. All passengers were wearing seat belts. Airbags did not need to deploy. 20 minutes later tow truck and police arrived (no alcohol or substances involved, this was road-condition related). RAV4 was flipped back to its wheels and winched out of the ditch. Damage report: One mud guard. No other damage. We were able to continue driving (albeit slower) the rest of the journey. I continued driving this vehicle through March of 2013, still with no major powertrain issues. Some convenience issues arose after about 8 years: rear door stopped responding to keyless entry. Then same with driver door after 9 years. But no major issues for the duration of my ownership. Passed 100,000 miles in 2012. Still a good vehicle, but wanted a change... next vehicle, Jeep Wrangler. But I would certainly recommend this vehicle. A good, solid AWD SUV (or CUV, although to this day, I have still never heard that phrase anywhere else). The car drives very well, especially on hills with the great low-end torque. It's high profile was nice for visibility in traffic. Drives smooth and although slow to accelerate, I generally am a conservative driver. Gas mileage was consistently between 19-25. Conservative driving style helps. Removable back seats is a GREAT function. As long as you have a place to store them when out of the car. Truck access from cabin is also nice. Highly recommend this car. Later RAV4 models were a bit longer, more "wagon-like" but the 2001 was no longer than a 1994 toyota carolla (my previous vehicle)."

Great

By on Friday, September 16, 2011

"I bought a 2003 used in 2004 with only a little over 11,000 miles.....I drive a lot...basically it's a commuter....the only major repair was my Catilac converter....did all my oil changes and had changed a few sets of tire...this car is great...."

BEWARE Defects

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"The ECM will go bad in this car before you even hit 100,000 miles (refer to Technical Service Bulletin issued in March of 2006). When the ECM goes bad, it causes the car's transmission to shift hard and start off in the incorrect grear, which damages the transmission. While the ECM is covered under Toyota's Emissions Warranty (if you can get the dealer to find the technical service bulletin), Toyota will NOT cover the damage to the transmission caused by this faulty warrantied part."

Best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "great price , fun to drive , front seat comfort"

Cons: "cramped back seat leg room"

"The ride and driving experience is wonderful.I get 26 mpg/city and around 30 mpg/hwy,even after 10 years. Never any problems,major or minor. Body integrity is great and I especially like the look of the tire on the back...it used to be unique,but not anymore. I have recommended the car to many people."

It is a very solid car all way round.

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

"I got all the value and more for the overall price.Provides comfort and trust-worthiness.Solid like a s.u.v. but drives and handles like a luxury car. I'M so confident in quality and value I'm going to drive it for a total of 15 years before buying another."

I love the Toyota Rav 4

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Cargo room without having a huge vehicle."

Cons: "Check engine light just likes to be on."

"I bought my Rav 4 brand new in 2001. Originally I was going for the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but after a dealer snafu I had to choose a different model completely. What attracted me to the PT Cruiser was the ability to tumble and take out the seats. This function on the Rav 4 made me a buyer. I have moved over 12 times (once across the country), and have moved nearly everything using my Rav 4 - Couches on the rooftop, chairs inside, boxes upon boxes. I love the Toyota Rav 4. This car has been reliable and has paid for itself twice over in the 11 years that I have had it. Now that the car is over 200,000 miles, I'm seeking a new one but hesitant to because this one is like my baby. Cons about the Rav 4: The high center of gravity means that you shouldn't take turns too fast. I have managed to lift two wheels off the pavement before. Ever since I got the vehicle I've had trouble with the check engine light. It just likes to be on - for NO REASON. It always says it's an oxygen sensor. But, I have changed the oxygen sensors, the oxygen manifold, etc. time and time again. Finally, I just gave up on it and it works just fine with that check engine light on. Be aware though - Having that check engine light on makes it difficult for registration in certain states."

04 Rav bought for Kids -- great vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "Nimble, great drive, 24 mpg"

Cons: "Moon roof stinks."

"Purchased 04 brand new. Did not want moon roof but no choice. Have had issues with the roof holes clogging and then rain water moving into the interior of the vehicle. Other than that I LOVE this vehicle. If my kids aren't driving it, I am. Nimble, turns on a dime; excellent acceleration; fun to drive. No major repairs; son had in AZ at ASU for 3 years so had full maintenance done prior to drive home to TX. transmission flush, hoses, belts changed, etc. Other than that no repairs on the 134k miles; Gets about 24+ mpg. Don't like the seat covers as they seem to be hard to clean and maintain but overall this car is great; I want another when this one dies."