2003 Toyota RAV4

Based on 384 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

BEWARE Defects

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"The ECM will go bad in this car before you even hit 100,000 miles (refer to Technical Service Bulletin issued in March of 2006). When the ECM goes bad, it causes the car's transmission to shift hard and start off in the incorrect grear, which damages the transmission. While the ECM is covered under Toyota's Emissions Warranty (if you can get the dealer to find the technical service bulletin), Toyota will NOT cover the damage to the transmission caused by this faulty warrantied part."

Best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "great price , fun to drive , front seat comfort"

Cons: "cramped back seat leg room"

"The ride and driving experience is wonderful.I get 26 mpg/city and around 30 mpg/hwy,even after 10 years. Never any problems,major or minor. Body integrity is great and I especially like the look of the tire on the back...it used to be unique,but not anymore. I have recommended the car to many people."

It is a very solid car all way round.

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

"I got all the value and more for the overall price.Provides comfort and trust-worthiness.Solid like a s.u.v. but drives and handles like a luxury car. I'M so confident in quality and value I'm going to drive it for a total of 15 years before buying another."

I love the Toyota Rav 4

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Cargo room without having a huge vehicle."

Cons: "Check engine light just likes to be on."

"I bought my Rav 4 brand new in 2001. Originally I was going for the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but after a dealer snafu I had to choose a different model completely. What attracted me to the PT Cruiser was the ability to tumble and take out the seats. This function on the Rav 4 made me a buyer. I have moved over 12 times (once across the country), and have moved nearly everything using my Rav 4 - Couches on the rooftop, chairs inside, boxes upon boxes. I love the Toyota Rav 4. This car has been reliable and has paid for itself twice over in the 11 years that I have had it. Now that the car is over 200,000 miles, I'm seeking a new one but hesitant to because this one is like my baby. Cons about the Rav 4: The high center of gravity means that you shouldn't take turns too fast. I have managed to lift two wheels off the pavement before. Ever since I got the vehicle I've had trouble with the check engine light. It just likes to be on - for NO REASON. It always says it's an oxygen sensor. But, I have changed the oxygen sensors, the oxygen manifold, etc. time and time again. Finally, I just gave up on it and it works just fine with that check engine light on. Be aware though - Having that check engine light on makes it difficult for registration in certain states."

04 Rav bought for Kids -- great vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "Nimble, great drive, 24 mpg"

Cons: "Moon roof stinks."

"Purchased 04 brand new. Did not want moon roof but no choice. Have had issues with the roof holes clogging and then rain water moving into the interior of the vehicle. Other than that I LOVE this vehicle. If my kids aren't driving it, I am. Nimble, turns on a dime; excellent acceleration; fun to drive. No major repairs; son had in AZ at ASU for 3 years so had full maintenance done prior to drive home to TX. transmission flush, hoses, belts changed, etc. Other than that no repairs on the 134k miles; Gets about 24+ mpg. Don't like the seat covers as they seem to be hard to clean and maintain but overall this car is great; I want another when this one dies."