2003 Toyota RAV4

Based on 383 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Great reliable SUV

By on Monday, March 23, 2015

Pros: "4WD works great, minimal maintenance costs,"

Cons: "exterior design goofy, trunk door opens sideways"

"It's been very reliable. it's not true 4wd, more of a front to back awd system from how I understand it, but it works great in the snow here. I've only ever had to replace the tires and change the oil and transmission fluid. Not a fan of the basic exterior design, but we have the sport version with a hood scoop, so that helps immensely. otherwise this body style reminds me of bugs (not the VW type). It's also got a lot more wind noise on the freeway than my old camry, but not horrible. It's older now, so not up to current mpg standards, but great for the year, I get about 25 on the freeway. It's very comfortable for my wife and I on road trips, both 5'7"; taller people might not be as comfortable, but that's been the case with all of our toyotas. I love that the back seat goes mostly flat into the floor, but not as well as the new SUVs (cushion sticks up 6" or so behind front seats, but still very convenient). Plenty of room in the trunk for our bullmastiff to lay out comfortably."

I love my RAV4

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

"I'm 5'10" and can comfortably drive the 2005. It has been a reliable vehicle with few repairs required. Test drove 2015 RAV and the redesign feels cramped inside especially with the dash that extends into knee area. Nice cargo area though. Would recommend for a short person."

VERY reliable, not the greatest mileage

By on Thursday, February 19, 2015

Pros: "reliable (still going strong)"

Cons: "so so gas mileage"

"pick-up is a little slow especially on hills, not a lot of leg room in the back but since I rarely have passengers that's ok; car may look small but can hold A LOT of items."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, low repair costs, safe to drive in wind"

Cons: "Personally, I would prefer it a little "shorter""

"I bought this car used with only 40,000 miles on it in 2009. Like many "fleet cars," previous drivers had put cheap gas in the tank which later, ruined the catalytic convertor (which cost me about $1,200 to fix). However after I got that taken care of, I've never had any problems. It gets the same gas mileage as my previous Toyota Camry maybe because it's the same engine as a Camry. When it's windy, the SUV is heavy enough that the vehicle doesn't "blow all over the road" like a small economy car would do. I always felt safe driving this SUV."

great small vehicle

By on Friday, February 06, 2015

Pros: "Economical, reliable, plenty of cargo space"

Cons: "Big Guys may be uncomfortable on long drives"

"Purchased the 2003 RAV 4 used in 2009. At the time it had about 65,000 miles on the odometer. Purchased it mainly for my wife who loved, loved, loved it. The 2 liter engine has plenty of pep, is economical and has been trouble free. The only "major" repair(s) have been to replace the struts and shocks at about 114,000 miles. I am a larger guy, about 6 feet tall and a solid 220 so find driving the car for long periods somewhat uncomfortable -- course I'd much rather drive my pickup anyway. Even though the car is not a 4 X 4, the front wheel drive handles our snow and ice very well."