2002 Toyota RAV4

Based on 400 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

most reliable and fun car I've ever owned.

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "4 usable cup holders, elevated seat position, fun"

Cons: "a bit noisy on the highway."

"The only thing that ever went wrong with this car was 4th gear, when it was still under warranty. I drove it 10 years in snow country, and only had to put on chains once. The 25-27 mpg was great. High driver's seat position is nice. Negatives: a bit under-powered, so you want the manual trans, so you can decide your own shift points. Also, there is no "granny" gear, so if you're in a very steep place, the clutch work needs to be precise."

greatest reliability in 55 yrs of driving.

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "balance on curves is great! leather seats a plus"

Cons: "back seat has short leg space."

"reliability is excellent. tires wear well.paint holds up well. never any transmission problems. Never had any engine leaks. Only normal maintenance needed. one set of breaks needed in 132,000 mi. never uses oil. only complaint, it is a little noisy when using snow tires. Not fond of anti lock breaks however."

Best Car I have owned

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Cons: "No "cons" for me."

"I've loved my car since I purchase it new in 2003 with 25 mi. All of the milage has been driven by me up & down the East Coast from Maine to Key West and finally settling in Fla. The car has never left me stranded anywhere. I take credit for this by ensuring that it gets it's follow-up service changes. While living up north, during the winter months when other more newer models i.e. maxima's would not start with low temps, my motor with no effort just smoothly turn over and away we go. I have given some thought to upgrading after 10 yrs of service, but can't seem to let it go. I really have gotten fantastic service from this Rav 4."

12 years and I still LOVE this car

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "mpg, spacious, AWD, retained value"

Cons: "small engine"

"I bought this car in college 1 year used and with 19K miles. Now it's 12 years and 100K miles later and I can't seem to find anything I think I will love as much as my RAV4. I've driven this car on the beach, up to the ski resorts in blizzards, to mountain bike trails with 2 bikes upright and fully assembled in the back, and coast to coast 3 times and it's been SO reliable. Enough space to squeeze 600lbs of my gear in the back, removable seats, adjustable cupholders fit and hold EVERY size mug, decent gas mileage and rather good looks are some of my favorite features. I do find the seats get uncomfortable after about 3h of driving, but stuffing a coat behind me for lumbar support fixes that. NO leaks, major repairs, or anything other than routine maintenance required, which I do myself. Downsides-it's a bit basic and the engine is small so it's not something you'll gun to pass anyone other than a Jeep...that's all I've got. If I were selling my used RAV4, I'd market to a teen's first car: great visibility, safe, decent gas mileage (I get about 22) and a bit underpowered so you know they won't be drag racing anyone. But I'm not selling just yet. :)"

Great SUV

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great on gas, and very dependable"

Cons: "not as much cargo room in the older models"

"I absolutely love this little Rav4. This 4X4 gets around great in the snow, gets about 24-26 mpg, without any major issues. I just hope the new one I just bought is as good as this 2001 has been. I love the way it handles and rides. It is great with small kids. Just enough room to travel but small enough to not break the bank on gas mileage. I haven't had any major issues with it, changed the oil, regular maintenance items, and it has 140,000 miles and still going strong. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a dependable SUV."

Great car, reliable, trustworthy low cost to own

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "great in snow and on bad roads"

Cons: "rear seats do not remove or install easily"

"I have had nearly 130,000 trouble free miles on this car. Always starts, always gets me there. Feels great in the snow, inspires confidence and promotes a feeling of safety in poor conditions. I am not one to be at the dealer every time I turn around so sevice viits were minimal. Repairs were minimal. Had the original battery for over 100,000 miles, changed this year. Kept up on oil changes etc and it has served me way better than well. I expect another 100000 miles of reliable use without a doubt!"

Best Ever - RAV 4 "L"

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"I purchased my RAV 4, 4wd in Feb 2004. It now has 53,500 miles and I have just replaced the tires. This car has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Not a single issue with it...ever! I am now passing it onto my daughter with the knowledge that she is getting a great and reliable vehicle. I travel 50 miles per day...about 40 on the highway and average 24 to 26 mpg. The car accelerates and handles corners very well...no doubt one of the best cars made by Toyota. The paintwork still looks new with no signs of rust. Good in the snow. The front seats could be a little more comfortable, but they have many adjustments every driver in our family managed to find the position they liked. OVERALL - A GREAT CAR!!!"

Best Ever

By on Monday, May 12, 2008

"I purchased this vehicle new over 4 years ago and have been very happy. I have only had routine maintenance/service performed on the vehicle and it runs like a dream. This is an all wheel drive vehicle that came standard with traction control and stabilty control. It is very reliable in the snow/ice but a little light weight in the rear. I drove in the anchorage bowl area for 4 winters with the factory tires and did fairly well. The abs combined with traction control is good enough for city driving, but this winter I started making a commute. I purchased Blizzak tires, which make a world of difference on how the vehicle handles. Controls are well placed, gas mileage is good, no complaints other than moderate road noise while on the highway. This vehicle has really held its value (4 years later I can recoup almost 70 percent of my investment)."

Stylish and Reliable

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"I love my Rav and this was my first Toyota. I have a 2003 Rav with 76,000 miles and I have only had routine maintenance. Replaced battery, front brakes and one brake light, other than that oil changes. That is extremely refreshing from the other vehicles I have owned and my daughter's VW bug. I needed a reliable car because I was a single parent on one income and the price was right and the repairs needed to be minimal. Thank you Toyota, I will be a repeat customer when it comes time to look for something new. Drives great, even in the snow, easy to park, I have hauled bikes, lawn mower, boxes, wood. Seats are easy to take out and put back in. I have recommended it to many friends."

Best Car

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I have 95,000 miles on it and NO repairs. It has great pickup and I get 30 miles to the gallon on trips. It is comfortable and roomy for all the tall people in my family. It drives/feels like a car NOT a truck. Love it!"

189000 and still strong!!!

By on Sunday, December 09, 2007

"Bought new in 2001 in AZ, the RAV 4 4WD we bought has only needed brakes, tires, and a battery! At 189K it's still going strong and friends tell us it looks like a 2004. As they say about Toyota's, just keep changing the oil and fluids. Now that it's almost paid off, we're going to drive it until it drops (looking for 300k). It still can pass traffic doing 85 uphill on the freeway...he now drives 135 r/t to work every day without a hitch..."

Very reliable vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"This is my second RAV. Had the first RAV for 8 years, without any significant problems. Vehicle has had all required maintenace inspections."

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Cons: "might need some new shock absorbers"

"starts every time, even not being garaged the past winter in NE, never had to to much except usual maintenance, my mechanic says this car will go another 170,000 miles and I believe him, reliable, good gas mileage, perfect height for getting in and out, excellent room for carrying items in back with seats down. can't say enough, would keep, but I need a newer car and it will be a RAV 4."

Dependable Toyota

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Typical dependable Toyota"

Cons: "Engine needs to be a 2.2 instead of a 2.0 liter,"

"As with every other Toyota on the road this one will go further than the energizer bunny. No major repairs done for the last 40,000 miles beyond typical maintenance. Only downside is the engine can be a bit sluggish on the interstate and I wish the top gear was a little higher to allow better mpg on the 75mph country roads."

Toyota is the only vehicle that I will own.

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, reliable, and enjoyable"

"I've started out with a 1993 Toyota Previa had it for five years. Gave me no problems and I traded it on a 1998 Toyota Sienna and like the Previa it had no problems. I then went into a 2002 Toyota Sienna with nice options and I could trust it to always make it home with or without problems. I had to replace an altenator, water pump that was pretty much all. Now I'm in a 2004 Toyota Rav4 and I'm very happy with the way it rides. Steering it is effortless and I like the spunk it has when you are sitting still and then give it gas it jumps and those are the kind of cars I enjoy. I know I will enjoy the Rav4 as much as I enjoyed the Previa and Sienna."

Best value I have ever owned.

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

"I bought this vehicle used with only 16,000 miles on it. The previous owners traded it for a larger vehicle when found they were expecting. This RAV is the Sports edition, with the scoop on the hood which gives it a nice look. The only problem I've had with it, other than routine maintenance, was an oxygen sensor that needed replaced around 105,000 miles."

Love my 2004 RAV 4

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pros: "well made, cute, dependable..."

"I love my 2004 Rav 4, no problems at all... I've only had to replace the tires, do oil changes and it keeps on running...."

Surprised at repairs not expected

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good in snow"

Cons: "More repairs than the Audi it replaced"

"Purchased car brand new and have babied it every step of the way. I was surprised by a bad camshaft a year ago and now manual transmission failure. I thought a Toyota was supposed to be better than this."

dependable, economical, practical

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Love the mpg and dependability"

Cons: "Hard to get comfortable on long trips"

"If we buy a brand new car, we plan to keep it for at least 10 years. I've had my Rav4 for 9 years now and am extremely attached! She has NEVER had a real problem; starts every time, and regularly gets 25 mpg city and 30 mpg hwy. She's great for hauling all kinds of cargo; we even pull a small trailer with her - who needs a pickup? She works best with short commutes rather than long road trips - not the smoothest ride or most comfortable seats. She maneuvers well and is easy to park - great turn radius. Great A/C, heater, and electrical integrity."

Excellent overall reliability. Excellent Handling.

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "Good price and definitely a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Unreliable alarm. No rear bumber."

"The only undesirable qualities that I found are: No rear bumber; and the location of the battery which is up under the windshield. I had the remote entry/alarm removed from the vehicle because the alarm became erratic and would activate for no reason during the day or night. Otherwise, I was very happy with the vehicle. Handling is superior and overall reliability is great. Other than the alarm, I have had no repairs. The interior is quiet with no wind noise and little noise from the motor."

My little Tonka Toy!

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "Perfect size great for parking"

Cons: "Little more horse power"

"These little truck are like the energizer bunny...they keep going and going! I will drive this until it pukes. Nothing but general repairs......breaks, tires, battery.....ect ect."

I love my RAV4! It's very dependable.

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"I bought my RAV4 with 62,000 mi on it when it was 4 yrs old. Since then I now have 250,000 mi on it. My experience with Toyota's are if you treat them right, they will last you forever! This car is fantastic. I've only had to do regular maintenance on it. I am confident it will last me another 100,000 miles! It still looks great too, inside and out."

Just be aware

By on Sunday, March 13, 2011

"I bought my 2001 toyota rav 4 L in June of 2007 from a local car lot.....needless to say the previous owners were not gentle while towing apparently they didn't know you have to quick disconnect an auto when towing never the less at 94k miles I put a $3400 transmission under the hood. I never had to replace the ECM and I take it for check ups periodically at our local Aamco those guys are great! I have not had any problem since replacing the torque converter 2 years ago i'm about to hit 114k miles and the car runs like new. It's never the car that is the problem folks it's the drivers sorry to break your heart. I would recommend this car they really arn't bad so don't believe the hipe...and they handle fairly good in a rear end accident i know i got into one 3 weeks after I bought mine, my sons birthday became pure craziness....but yea they are good cars so don't listen to those peved people i'm in the position to be mad but hey we treat our cars badly and they ware out fast thats all there is."

Loved it, but.......

By on Monday, August 30, 2010

"Bought this car new in 2001. Now has 187000+ miles. Loved driving it. Plenty of room, great visibility. Excellent car up to this point. However, we have found out there is a big problem with this car. Something goes wrong with the computer and this causes problems with the transmission. So now to fix the problem we have to spend $1400 for a new computer and $3000-$4000 for a new transmission. The car is only worth $2500-$3000. I guess we got our money's worth out of it, but it kind of makes me mad that Toyota has known about the problem for quite some time and never notified anyone. Despite all of that, I would still buy another RAV4."