• 2014 Compact SUVs

2002 Toyota RAV4

Based on 352 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Dependable Toyota

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Typical dependable Toyota"

Cons: "Engine needs to be a 2.2 instead of a 2.0 liter,"

"As with every other Toyota on the road this one will go further than the energizer bunny. No major repairs done for the last 40,000 miles beyond typical maintenance. Only downside is the engine can be a bit sluggish on the interstate and I wish the top gear was a little higher to allow better mpg on the 75mph country roads."

It is a very solid car all way round.

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

"I got all the value and more for the overall price.Provides comfort and trust-worthiness.Solid like a s.u.v. but drives and handles like a luxury car. I'M so confident in quality and value I'm going to drive it for a total of 15 years before buying another."

I LOVE MY RAV4!!!!

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, roomy but still compact"

Cons: "had to replace the transmission"

"I love my Rav! It is the best car I have ever owned!! It is big enough to cart around all of my equestrian equiptment and on occassion I have had to use it as the farm vehicle. It is easy and comfortable to drive. It is nice and compact while still offering so much room on the interior. The only complaint I have about this car is that I had to replace the transmission about 3 years ago."

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST CAR EVER!!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Reason: My son needed a vehicle.

Pros: "Excellent car for reliability!! Also tons of room."

Cons: "Seats aren't that comfy, but not a big deal."

"With my job and love for travel, in 10 years I put over 220,000 miles on this car. Aside from normal maintenance, I have had NO problems with this vehicle. I have since given it to my son in upstate NY and he is still driving it, through snow now, and has had no problems!!!"

A solid AWD CUV (car-based utility vehicle)

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, great AWD, good utility"

Cons: "audio system is not great"

""CUV" [car-based utility vehicle] is what the sales associate told me in 2003 when I bought this used 2001 Toyota RAV4. It had about 26K miles at time of purchase. It was purchased as a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned. NO MAJOR PROBLEMS FOR 10 YEARS. In 2005, I was in the passenger seat while my friend was driving in a snow storm. Friend was driving too fast for the conditions (human error, not mechanical failure), the car began to spin off the road, bounced off a dirt embankment and ended up in a ditch on its side. All passengers were wearing seat belts. Airbags did not need to deploy. 20 minutes later tow truck and police arrived (no alcohol or substances involved, this was road-condition related). RAV4 was flipped back to its wheels and winched out of the ditch. Damage report: One mud guard. No other damage. We were able to continue driving (albeit slower) the rest of the journey. I continued driving this vehicle through March of 2013, still with no major powertrain issues. Some convenience issues arose after about 8 years: rear door stopped responding to keyless entry. Then same with driver door after 9 years. But no major issues for the duration of my ownership. Passed 100,000 miles in 2012. Still a good vehicle, but wanted a change... next vehicle, Jeep Wrangler. But I would certainly recommend this vehicle. A good, solid AWD SUV (or CUV, although to this day, I have still never heard that phrase anywhere else). The car drives very well, especially on hills with the great low-end torque. It's high profile was nice for visibility in traffic. Drives smooth and although slow to accelerate, I generally am a conservative driver. Gas mileage was consistently between 19-25. Conservative driving style helps. Removable back seats is a GREAT function. As long as you have a place to store them when out of the car. Truck access from cabin is also nice. Highly recommend this car. Later RAV4 models were a bit longer, more "wagon-like" but the 2001 was no longer than a 1994 toyota carolla (my previous vehicle)."

Great car!

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Excellent price, reliability, great sporty looks"

Cons: "A little noisy on freeway, but great stereo"

"I bought this car used when it was just 3 yrs old and only 20,000 miles on it. This car has proven its utility, time and time again. The only time I ever had to get work done on it is when I got into an accident with another car, even after the repair, it runs beautifully. Snow, ice, toting several hundred pounds of unassembled furniture from Ikea (love the pop-out back seats), its been awesome! The only maintenance I do is the oil changes, and thats it. Thanks Toyota for making such a great car!"

Toyota is the only vehicle that I will own.

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, reliable, and enjoyable"

"I've started out with a 1993 Toyota Previa had it for five years. Gave me no problems and I traded it on a 1998 Toyota Sienna and like the Previa it had no problems. I then went into a 2002 Toyota Sienna with nice options and I could trust it to always make it home with or without problems. I had to replace an altenator, water pump that was pretty much all. Now I'm in a 2004 Toyota Rav4 and I'm very happy with the way it rides. Steering it is effortless and I like the spunk it has when you are sitting still and then give it gas it jumps and those are the kind of cars I enjoy. I know I will enjoy the Rav4 as much as I enjoyed the Previa and Sienna."

I will never buy a Toyota again !

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "Engine reliability, milage... 25 HWY."

Cons: "Transmission, interior, door locks & paint."

"Transmission went out at 83,000 miles and cost $5,000 to repair. Considering I'm an old lady that also drives like one... that's just beyond poor ! Cheap interior & driver door lock doesn't work anymore. Engine reliability has been good so far but only at 110000 miles thus yet. Also, paint already oxidizing."

12 years and I still LOVE this car

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "mpg, spacious, AWD, retained value"

Cons: "small engine"

"I bought this car in college 1 year used and with 19K miles. Now it's 12 years and 100K miles later and I can't seem to find anything I think I will love as much as my RAV4. I've driven this car on the beach, up to the ski resorts in blizzards, to mountain bike trails with 2 bikes upright and fully assembled in the back, and coast to coast 3 times and it's been SO reliable. Enough space to squeeze 600lbs of my gear in the back, removable seats, adjustable cupholders fit and hold EVERY size mug, decent gas mileage and rather good looks are some of my favorite features. I do find the seats get uncomfortable after about 3h of driving, but stuffing a coat behind me for lumbar support fixes that. NO leaks, major repairs, or anything other than routine maintenance required, which I do myself. Downsides-it's a bit basic and the engine is small so it's not something you'll gun to pass anyone other than a Jeep...that's all I've got. If I were selling my used RAV4, I'd market to a teen's first car: great visibility, safe, decent gas mileage (I get about 22) and a bit underpowered so you know they won't be drag racing anyone. But I'm not selling just yet. :)"

Best value I have ever owned.

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

"I bought this vehicle used with only 16,000 miles on it. The previous owners traded it for a larger vehicle when found they were expecting. This RAV is the Sports edition, with the scoop on the hood which gives it a nice look. The only problem I've had with it, other than routine maintenance, was an oxygen sensor that needed replaced around 105,000 miles."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25