2002 Toyota RAV4

Based on 386 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Terrific value. Rock solid never once failed me.

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "highly reliable, superb value, rock solid, fun"

Cons: "not the prettiest looking car"

"I bought a 2001 RAV4 as a starter car when I got my first job. I thought I would buy a new in 5 years. But 13 years and 225,000 miles later, I still plan on using the 2001 RAV4 for a few more years! After 200,000 I have had two repairs - struts, sway bar bushings for ~$750 and a new catalytic converter for $1400. While >$2000, I expect the car to last another 30k miles at least without any major repair. This car has never once failed me when I needed it. Snow, rain, slush, mud, trails, highways you name it. I have move my belongings in it several times, used it transport snow blowers, generators, lots of garden stuff, home repair stuff like boards, drywall what not."

Great up to 8 years

By on Monday, July 09, 2012

Pros: "Great for first 8 years, easy to drive"

Cons: "Very costly once major problems begin."

"2003 Rav4 had no major problems until it hit 8 years old. Needed a new catalytic converter and 3 cylinders and spark plugs for $1800, a year later at 9 years old it needed a new water pump, exhaust system, wheel rod, tires, and battery for total $2000. This car is easy to drive because of small dimensions and higher height than a sedan. Very easy to parallel park because it's so short to fit in very small spots. Fortunately original cost of car is cheap - got it under $20000 new. Will probably keep and maintain if repair costs are under $2000 per year."

Trustworthy transportation

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "Few repairs even with high mileage"

Cons: "Back door design"

"I bought my Rav4 4WD used, and couldn't ask for a more reliable vehicle. Aside from replacing and an emissions sensor, I have spent nothing on repairs (knock on wood), just scheduled maintenance, brake pads and tires. It runs well and is great transportation. The only fault I have with this vehicle is its back door design, which opens left to right instead of a "hatch" design --down to up-- which I prefer. In use, I have discovered if you park on the right side of a city street and want to unload items from the cargo area to take inside, the door blocks your way to the curb, which can be irritating and inconvenient when parking on a crowded city street. If you are loading or unloading items into the cargo area, a bottom-to-top door opening design also provides some protection from rain or snow. Also, when it snows, the owner must remember to clear the rear roof area very well, otherwise upon opening the door, the accumulated snow falls directly into the rear cargo area and all over whatever you have in there. And, there is no "ledge" on the floor of this area to keep the items placed here from rolling out onto the ground. For example, if you put groceries back there, and the bag of oranges you just bought falls over, when you open the back door they'll all roll out onto the street. Lesson learned: I bought an accessory to hold my grocery bags. Maybe the 2006 and newer models have addressed the floor issue, but I can see that the door still opens from side to side. Other than the back door issues, this Rav4 model is a great mode of transportation!"

I will never buy a Toyota again !

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "Engine reliability, milage... 25 HWY."

Cons: "Transmission, interior, door locks & paint."

"Transmission went out at 83,000 miles and cost $5,000 to repair. Considering I'm an old lady that also drives like one... that's just beyond poor ! Cheap interior & driver door lock doesn't work anymore. Engine reliability has been good so far but only at 110000 miles thus yet. Also, paint already oxidizing."

2002 RAV4-Good except...

By on Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"My girlfriend bought her RAV4 brand new in 2002 and it ran well for 98K miles with no problems. Until 1 day her transmission stopped shifting properly. After a bit of online research I thought that it might be the ECM (Toyota has has a service bulletin out on this since 2005). I brought it to a shop and sure enough a new ECM fixed it. A lot of people were not as lucky as we were & their ECM's ruined their transmissions. After a bit of arm twisting Toyota reimbursed us for the repair $1200. I figured that they should pay because they knew of potential problems with their 2000-2002 ECM's since 2005. Lots of people had to pay for new transmissions on their own. Other than that this car and the 3 Toyotas that I've owned have been great."

has held up well for 12 years

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Reason: trade in

Pros: "reliable and easy to maintain"

Cons: "ride could be a little more quiet"

"We purchased it at 120K and 82K later, it still looks and runs good. It is a great college kid car."

Owned mine 12 years!

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, VERY reliable, great gas milage,"

Cons: "Engine is a little weak"

"I have over 90,000 miles on my 2002 Rav and have never had any mechanical issues with it. It still drives great and looks great. Currently looking for new vics but only because I need a bit more size. Love this car!"

most reliable and fun car I've ever owned.

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "4 usable cup holders, elevated seat position, fun"

Cons: "a bit noisy on the highway."

"The only thing that ever went wrong with this car was 4th gear, when it was still under warranty. I drove it 10 years in snow country, and only had to put on chains once. The 25-27 mpg was great. High driver's seat position is nice. Negatives: a bit under-powered, so you want the manual trans, so you can decide your own shift points. Also, there is no "granny" gear, so if you're in a very steep place, the clutch work needs to be precise."

greatest reliability in 55 yrs of driving.

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "balance on curves is great! leather seats a plus"

Cons: "back seat has short leg space."

"reliability is excellent. tires wear well.paint holds up well. never any transmission problems. Never had any engine leaks. Only normal maintenance needed. one set of breaks needed in 132,000 mi. never uses oil. only complaint, it is a little noisy when using snow tires. Not fond of anti lock breaks however."

Best Car I have owned

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Cons: "No "cons" for me."

"I've loved my car since I purchase it new in 2003 with 25 mi. All of the milage has been driven by me up & down the East Coast from Maine to Key West and finally settling in Fla. The car has never left me stranded anywhere. I take credit for this by ensuring that it gets it's follow-up service changes. While living up north, during the winter months when other more newer models i.e. maxima's would not start with low temps, my motor with no effort just smoothly turn over and away we go. I have given some thought to upgrading after 10 yrs of service, but can't seem to let it go. I really have gotten fantastic service from this Rav 4."