• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2002 Toyota RAV4

Based on 369 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Sturdy , Reliable vehicle. I would buy it again.

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "Sturdy , fun to drive, handles well."

Cons: "Slightly under powered on inclines."

"2003 Rav 4 purchased with 17 k now has 67 K. Just replaced sensor, front struts and rear shocks. i expect to get 300 k out of this car. The car is fun to drive, handles well and is easy to park. I find it to be under powered on inclines. The interior seating is very comfortable and driving view is excellent. I have been reading on some sites that the car may have transmission and catalytic converter issues but have not experienced any yet. My mechanic feels that the rash of catalytic converter failures can be attributed to the 10 ethanol added to the gas."

Functional but not impressive

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "It gets you from A to B."

Cons: "Cheaply built. Rough ride."

"Engine runs great. Ride is rough, radio is awful, carpet is cheap. Two back windows won't open, driver's door lock won't work with fob."

I love this car

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Not great gas mileage"

"This car is 14 years old, and I've had it for about 10 of those years. It has amazing turning radius, I can make a full u-turn easily anywhere. It's really roomy all around, the back seats lay flat for more room. It gets 17 miles a gallon in the city and about 25 miles a gallon on the highway. It's a little noisy at high speeds and I'm at a loss as to what kind of car I should get once this one dies on me. Don't think I'll ever love a car more than I love this one."

has held up well for 12 years

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Reason: trade in

Pros: "reliable and easy to maintain"

Cons: "ride could be a little more quiet"

"We purchased it at 120K and 82K later, it still looks and runs good. It is a great college kid car."

Fear I'll Never Be Satisfied with Another!!

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow/wind/rain/sunny hot days not Too hot"

Cons: "Stero system could be better"

"After i had known many other people who loved their Toyotas, I decided it was time for me to have a car to love. I had never kept a car before for more than 5 years, as I always ended up with multiple things I was unhappy with. But I have owned my Rav 4 for over 12 years and there is no way I could have been more satisfied! I just fear whenever I do get a replacement, that it will not live up to my expectations!! It seems many new cars today do not have the same options as they had in the past-- easy to remove back seats if need to move something, back seats fold forward if my short dog wants to sit on it like a "booster seat", front seats recline fully if one needs to nap as spouse is at a store/gathering that the other chooses not to go. Also comfortable for long trips!"

Very reliable, sturdy car!

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, convenient size"

Cons: "None!"

"My mother had this car for ten years before giving it to me two years ago. It's stayed in our family, and for a good reason. It's reliable, sturdy and drives well. If anyone is looking for a 'first car' for their children, I would recommend something like this. It'll last her, and also it's a safe driving vehicle. I take my car off-roading, through snow, and through all sorts of things most cars couldn't handle. It's the reliability of a truck or a suburban, but the petite size and convenience of a little car. Definitely a car that I have loved for years!"

Owes me NOTHING!!!

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"I bought my RAV new in 2001. Except for 1 sensor that needed replacing 6 years ago, and having the front brakes replaced after 8 years, it has been problem free. I take care of it with scheduled oil changes, inspections, etc. so it has been very good to me. I've never owned a car this long .. and I think buying it was the best thing I ever did."

300,000 miles strong

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Great gas milage, very reliable, great performance"

Cons: "Cabin is a bit noisy at highway speeds"

almost 300,000 miles!!!!!!

"I'm a proud owner of a highly reliable, no issues, cheap to own 2002 Rav4 with 298,900 miles on the original engine and automatic transmission. With just minor wear and tear, and the factory paint still looking great, I plan to keep it running for as long as I can. At about 27 mpg on regular gas my Rav4 is still my daily driver. 10/10!!!!!!!"

almost 300,000 miles!!!!!!

Owned mine 12 years!

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, VERY reliable, great gas milage,"

Cons: "Engine is a little weak"

"I have over 90,000 miles on my 2002 Rav and have never had any mechanical issues with it. It still drives great and looks great. Currently looking for new vics but only because I need a bit more size. Love this car!"

Great all around car. I've been really happy with

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Park in compact spaces. Fun, visibility is good."

Cons: "Interior seems small w/riders.Car wash charges SUV"

"This has been a good vehicle for me. I had been driving an Accord, and I prefer sitting higher in the RAV. For taller people the headroom is not what I thought. In the front passenger seat my son, who is 6'3"... his head hits the handle above the window when we go over speed bumps or around corners. I'm 5' 5" and it's been fine for me. The cup holders, console and pockets behind seats allow for easy access. Good access to rear, excellent cargo capacity for groceries, etc. Seats can be folded down or are easily removed to expand cargo room. Stereo is important to me and has been excellent, with speakers for back seating. I enjoy the sun roof, but its noisy when driving with it open. Gas mileage has been 15-20 mpg. I track mileage every fill up, if it goes down I get air pressure in tires checked or take it in for oil change or tune up. Faithfully maintained with regular service on time per dealers recommendation helps. Drivers door doesn't respond to keyless entry, all other doors are okay."

Good, reliable transportation. Handy in winter.

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

"Nice quality for interior and body paint. Weak link is the body molding is attached by plastic clips which get brittle and break with age. Chrome running bars, tinted windows, and wide wheels and tires really set this vehicle apart from the pack."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Price, size, reliability, fun to drive"

Cons: "No V6 engine"

"Perfect size and so reliable. I loved this car! My only complaint is I need a V6 engine and RAV4 does not come with a V6. I would definitely buy this car again!"

dependable and responsive

By on Sunday, June 01, 2014

"The rear seat is not comfortable. The hatch opens with the hinge on the right. It is a great compact size for parking. It responses quickly with high way and city driving. It has a great clearance for unplowed roads and drive ways. When I force it to do donuts and slides in the parking lot it is easy to correct. I don't want to go to the newer larger more comfort for passenger RAV4s."

Love this car. Hate to part with it!

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Just needs a little freshening up"

Ready to go!

"Moving so have to sell because of new living plans. Car drives like a dream. Cloth seats and carpets a little stained but can be cleaned. Exterior paint on bumper peeling. New tires. Button for a/c wont engage unless you hold it in. New part and labor to replace board is about $300 in my area. Some blemishes and scrapes on outside but paint otherwise in good condition. Cute car. Back seats can be removed for large loads. 4 wheel drive which I have not used in 4 years I have owned it as not need in my area. Titanium color"

Ready to go!

Best Car I Have Ever Owned, I Would Buy It Again

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, light workhorse"

Cons: "Brakes make noise when humid, (so do other makes)"

"This is my first foreign brand car, but it is better than any American brand car that I have previously owned. When this Toyota RAV4 dies in the future, (hopefully way past 200,000 miles), I will shop for another one. I can take out the back seats and haul around my bicycle to the bike trail, or my lawn mower to my dad's house, or pack up equipment at work to an offsite location for a customer. It has been very low maintenance. After 100,000 miles, I had to get the brakes replaced. That has been the only mechanical repair since I bought this used in 2007. The all-wheel drive works great for most snowfalls in Dayton, Ohio, when there is too much snow for most normal car heights."

best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Cons: "might need some new shock absorbers"

"starts every time, even not being garaged the past winter in NE, never had to to much except usual maintenance, my mechanic says this car will go another 170,000 miles and I believe him, reliable, good gas mileage, perfect height for getting in and out, excellent room for carrying items in back with seats down. can't say enough, would keep, but I need a newer car and it will be a RAV 4."

I bot this car new and have had no problems.

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage and reiliability."

Cons: "Really....none..."

"I bot this car new and have had no problems at all. The car has only been serviced by the dealer when it was due. The dealer has always been excellent with great prices and extra services many times were not charged. I hate giving the car up, biut feel it is time for me to move on to a bigger car. It's been great for commuting and used exclusively on the highways. It's been garage kept the whole time."

Cons: "bumpy ride."

"I keep the oil changed, keep the gas tank full (due to the great gas mileage) and can’t say enough about this car. Plan on driving it well into the 200k mileage point. Wish it was a little smoother driving since I am getting older and am all about comfort  but you just can’t beat this cars value!"

Was good until 100,000

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "easy drive, comfortable"

Cons: "possible transmission problem, tire on back of car"

"The car has no major problems until it hit 110,000 miles. The gear wouldn't shift and it turned out to be the transmission. I was very disappointed because I thought it would last well into 200,000 miles. I read online that this was a common problem with my year of Rav4 but the warranty only lasted to 100,000 so it wasn't covered. I was planning on staying with the newer version of this car... Now not so sure."

Reliable, comfortable, my sixth Toyota

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "great value, comfortable, dependable,"

Cons: "I don't have automatic locks."

"I love my Rav4. It is comfortable, reliable, dependable, and the best value out there. My car has always been garaged so it has a near-new body. I never ever had a problem with it. It seems to be faultless. I will only buy a Toyota!"

Terrific value. Rock solid never once failed me.

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "highly reliable, superb value, rock solid, fun"

Cons: "not the prettiest looking car"

"I bought a 2001 RAV4 as a starter car when I got my first job. I thought I would buy a new in 5 years. But 13 years and 225,000 miles later, I still plan on using the 2001 RAV4 for a few more years! After 200,000 I have had two repairs - struts, sway bar bushings for ~$750 and a new catalytic converter for $1400. While >$2000, I expect the car to last another 30k miles at least without any major repair. This car has never once failed me when I needed it. Snow, rain, slush, mud, trails, highways you name it. I have move my belongings in it several times, used it transport snow blowers, generators, lots of garden stuff, home repair stuff like boards, drywall what not."

It's been a reliable form of transportation.

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

"It drives get. The motor is good. But the transmission needs some work."

best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

"IT's been a great car no major repairs, tires, breaks, and battery."