• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide
2001 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

290,000 Miles STRONG

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "reliable, quality, re-sale value, safe"

"Words can't describe how pleased I am with my Rav4 with almost 300,000 miles and no mechanical issues! Everything still works fine. Great MPG, safe, and reliable enough to drive daily for a very long time. YES I recommend the Rav4!!!"

Typical (good) Toyota

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Didn't want to deal with poor gas mileage from my larger truck, so I traded in for this RAV4 with 40k miles. Commute in it daily in stop & go traffic and consistently get 26-MPG. Not bad for an SUV. The two negatives I read about the car were that the interior parts weren't as durable as they'd like and that it was underpowered. I haven't experienced any interior problems, but I do agree that Toyota should have bumped it to a 2.2 or 2.4L engine. Overall, however, it's a great little vehicle."

A solid AWD CUV (car-based utility vehicle)

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, great AWD, good utility"

Cons: "audio system is not great"

""CUV" [car-based utility vehicle] is what the sales associate told me in 2003 when I bought this used 2001 Toyota RAV4. It had about 26K miles at time of purchase. It was purchased as a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned. NO MAJOR PROBLEMS FOR 10 YEARS. In 2005, I was in the passenger seat while my friend was driving in a snow storm. Friend was driving too fast for the conditions (human error, not mechanical failure), the car began to spin off the road, bounced off a dirt embankment and ended up in a ditch on its side. All passengers were wearing seat belts. Airbags did not need to deploy. 20 minutes later tow truck and police arrived (no alcohol or substances involved, this was road-condition related). RAV4 was flipped back to its wheels and winched out of the ditch. Damage report: One mud guard. No other damage. We were able to continue driving (albeit slower) the rest of the journey. I continued driving this vehicle through March of 2013, still with no major powertrain issues. Some convenience issues arose after about 8 years: rear door stopped responding to keyless entry. Then same with driver door after 9 years. But no major issues for the duration of my ownership. Passed 100,000 miles in 2012. Still a good vehicle, but wanted a change... next vehicle, Jeep Wrangler. But I would certainly recommend this vehicle. A good, solid AWD SUV (or CUV, although to this day, I have still never heard that phrase anywhere else). The car drives very well, especially on hills with the great low-end torque. It's high profile was nice for visibility in traffic. Drives smooth and although slow to accelerate, I generally am a conservative driver. Gas mileage was consistently between 19-25. Conservative driving style helps. Removable back seats is a GREAT function. As long as you have a place to store them when out of the car. Truck access from cabin is also nice. Highly recommend this car. Later RAV4 models were a bit longer, more "wagon-like" but the 2001 was no longer than a 1994 toyota carolla (my previous vehicle)."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted