2001 Toyota RAV4

Based on 376 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Great car!

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Excellent price, reliability, great sporty looks"

Cons: "A little noisy on freeway, but great stereo"

"I bought this car used when it was just 3 yrs old and only 20,000 miles on it. This car has proven its utility, time and time again. The only time I ever had to get work done on it is when I got into an accident with another car, even after the repair, it runs beautifully. Snow, ice, toting several hundred pounds of unassembled furniture from Ikea (love the pop-out back seats), its been awesome! The only maintenance I do is the oil changes, and thats it. Thanks Toyota for making such a great car!"

Toyota is the only vehicle that I will own.

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, reliable, and enjoyable"

"I've started out with a 1993 Toyota Previa had it for five years. Gave me no problems and I traded it on a 1998 Toyota Sienna and like the Previa it had no problems. I then went into a 2002 Toyota Sienna with nice options and I could trust it to always make it home with or without problems. I had to replace an altenator, water pump that was pretty much all. Now I'm in a 2004 Toyota Rav4 and I'm very happy with the way it rides. Steering it is effortless and I like the spunk it has when you are sitting still and then give it gas it jumps and those are the kind of cars I enjoy. I know I will enjoy the Rav4 as much as I enjoyed the Previa and Sienna."

I will never buy a Toyota again !

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "Engine reliability, milage... 25 HWY."

Cons: "Transmission, interior, door locks & paint."

"Transmission went out at 83,000 miles and cost $5,000 to repair. Considering I'm an old lady that also drives like one... that's just beyond poor ! Cheap interior & driver door lock doesn't work anymore. Engine reliability has been good so far but only at 110000 miles thus yet. Also, paint already oxidizing."

12 years and I still LOVE this car

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "mpg, spacious, AWD, retained value"

Cons: "small engine"

"I bought this car in college 1 year used and with 19K miles. Now it's 12 years and 100K miles later and I can't seem to find anything I think I will love as much as my RAV4. I've driven this car on the beach, up to the ski resorts in blizzards, to mountain bike trails with 2 bikes upright and fully assembled in the back, and coast to coast 3 times and it's been SO reliable. Enough space to squeeze 600lbs of my gear in the back, removable seats, adjustable cupholders fit and hold EVERY size mug, decent gas mileage and rather good looks are some of my favorite features. I do find the seats get uncomfortable after about 3h of driving, but stuffing a coat behind me for lumbar support fixes that. NO leaks, major repairs, or anything other than routine maintenance required, which I do myself. Downsides-it's a bit basic and the engine is small so it's not something you'll gun to pass anyone other than a Jeep...that's all I've got. If I were selling my used RAV4, I'd market to a teen's first car: great visibility, safe, decent gas mileage (I get about 22) and a bit underpowered so you know they won't be drag racing anyone. But I'm not selling just yet. :)"

Best value I have ever owned.

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

"I bought this vehicle used with only 16,000 miles on it. The previous owners traded it for a larger vehicle when found they were expecting. This RAV is the Sports edition, with the scoop on the hood which gives it a nice look. The only problem I've had with it, other than routine maintenance, was an oxygen sensor that needed replaced around 105,000 miles."

Love this car

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, reliable, great in all weather"

Cons: "I have no cons for this vehicle"

"I absolutely love this car! It is outstanding in every kind of road condition. It has safely got me through ice storms and blizzards. Gets great gas mileage. Has lots of room, I am always saying there is very little I can't haul around in my Rav. It it completely reliable, have never had any issues with it. Gas, oil changes, new tires, wipers and a battery is all it has ever cost me after purchase. I highly recommend this car!"

Best SUV I have ever purchased

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "Great rde-Low maintenace-4 wheel dr. great in snow"

Cons: "Gas milage could be better but consider it is a 4"

"I purchased this SUV in 2003 with 18,000 miles. Except for brakes, rotors, tires and 2 batteries, these are the only costs to me since I purchased it. The SUV rides very smooth and has good acceleration for a 4 cyl. The removable seats as well as the roof racks are great! I can haul a lot of different sizes items. The seats are great for long drives. The heater works great. Also, no rust. Living in WI means a lot of salt. I love the layout of the dash board. I intend to kept this SUV forever!"

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my RAV4

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, I'm not fond of the newer body style"

"I bought my Rav4 brand new in 2001 & everyday I am thankful I found such a wonderful car. I've not had one problem with it, I take it to the dealership when it's due for it's checkups & she still runs like a top. She's an indoor car & still looks new. I sworn off American cars years ago, because of previous problems on one thing or another, junks everyone, the cars I had literately spent more time getting fixed then in my garage. Everyone lemons. I got tired of wasting my money. So, I made the jump, I didn't think I would ever, but now you can't make me buy another American car over Toyota brand."

best car

By on Sunday, September 09, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "ok"

"i love the look. the style it drives good."

I LOVE MY TOYOTA!

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Pros: "resale value, fun to drive, peppy, cute!"

Cons: "thin seat cushioning"

"If I could change anything about my RAV4, it would be adding more padding in the seats. Everything else is wonderful :)"

Zips in and out...easy to park and drive

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Sporty, dependable and reliable!"

Cons: "Front airbags only."

"All I've had to do is regular oil changes/tire rotations...tires I replaced @ 22K miles); skips a tad when picking up on wet pavement. Lots of pep and pickup for a small engine. About 22 mpg in city driving. Sporty and easy to drive and park. Rav4 was enlarged in 2005. Great runabout! Starts everytime I turn on the key! Very reliable. No repairs ever."

I love the Toyota Rav 4

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Cargo room without having a huge vehicle."

Cons: "Check engine light just likes to be on."

"I bought my Rav 4 brand new in 2001. Originally I was going for the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but after a dealer snafu I had to choose a different model completely. What attracted me to the PT Cruiser was the ability to tumble and take out the seats. This function on the Rav 4 made me a buyer. I have moved over 12 times (once across the country), and have moved nearly everything using my Rav 4 - Couches on the rooftop, chairs inside, boxes upon boxes. I love the Toyota Rav 4. This car has been reliable and has paid for itself twice over in the 11 years that I have had it. Now that the car is over 200,000 miles, I'm seeking a new one but hesitant to because this one is like my baby. Cons about the Rav 4: The high center of gravity means that you shouldn't take turns too fast. I have managed to lift two wheels off the pavement before. Ever since I got the vehicle I've had trouble with the check engine light. It just likes to be on - for NO REASON. It always says it's an oxygen sensor. But, I have changed the oxygen sensors, the oxygen manifold, etc. time and time again. Finally, I just gave up on it and it works just fine with that check engine light on. Be aware though - Having that check engine light on makes it difficult for registration in certain states."

Love my 2004 RAV 4

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pros: "well made, cute, dependable..."

"I love my 2004 Rav 4, no problems at all... I've only had to replace the tires, do oil changes and it keeps on running...."

Great up to 8 years

By on Monday, July 09, 2012

Pros: "Great for first 8 years, easy to drive"

Cons: "Very costly once major problems begin."

"2003 Rav4 had no major problems until it hit 8 years old. Needed a new catalytic converter and 3 cylinders and spark plugs for $1800, a year later at 9 years old it needed a new water pump, exhaust system, wheel rod, tires, and battery for total $2000. This car is easy to drive because of small dimensions and higher height than a sedan. Very easy to parallel park because it's so short to fit in very small spots. Fortunately original cost of car is cheap - got it under $20000 new. Will probably keep and maintain if repair costs are under $2000 per year."

250,000 miles virtually trouble free.

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "Great on snow and ice. Never breaks down."

Cons: "Sensors replaced twice."

"250,000 miles with only significant problem that sensors needed to be replaced twice and water pump at 200,000 miles. Original power steering, master cylinder, alternator and BATTERY! Air conditioning clutch loud last 4 years. Catalytic converter needed cleaning. Plugs replaced twice -- 25.5 mpg through whole life."

Excellent-Dependable-Relieable

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

I own this car

Pros: "goes when others won't; Fun to drive!"

"A good vehicle Year round; Excellent in snow; always starts; New tires all four wheels."

Worst car ever

By on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pros: "None"

Cons: "Everything"

"New transmission 80k miles $3500 New engine 95k miles $6500 Multi hundred dollar repair every several months Owning this car --- expensive I have owned several toyotas over the years, this is my last!"

Low maintenance and dependable.

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, classic, removable rear seats."

Cons: "Rear glass does not retract."

"I purchased this RAV4 L vehicle new after seeing an older version of RAV4. I have never regretted the decision. I do the recommended maintenance with my Toyota dealer and have had only one major repair. My only complaint is that the rear glass does not retract so you can carry that 8 foot 2x4 you need. Overall, this is a great small SUV."

The most reliable car I ever bought.

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "great car."

Cons: "smaller than my usual car."

"I bought this car out of necessity. It was the best deal of my life. It never has given me one ounce of trouble. Worth every penny and more."

This car is the most dependable I have ever driven

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "see review"

Cons: "see review"

"50 years of driving and this is the best vehicle ever. Utility is the word. Dependable, low maintenance costs, good ride, excellent acceleration and brakes. The blind spot bothers me a bit. Grey plastic over the clock drives me crazy because it is almost unreadable for the driver. But, and it's a big but, it is comfortable for long trips, has an easy "door" type rear opening,and good speakers. I bought this car new, have driven it for six years."

Wonderful ride

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "compact, efficient, reliable, utility, fun"

Cons: "road noise, engine probs at 140k, power"

"This is by far my favorite car that I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few). I use it for everything and it's very reliable. Fails: road noise, engine had to be replaced at 140k mi due to manufacturer defect (though not covered under warranty), front passenger space."

In love with my Ravvy

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage; reliable; long lasting; compact"

Cons: "No bells and whistles; low head room"

"I have had my Rav since early 2007 (about 5 years). I do all my regular maintenance, oil changes, tires etc. and have had no major issues with the car at all. I drive for work, and this car is very reliable, versatile (the back seats fold down and I have moved several times with the help of this car). The value really has stayed very steady, it has only dropped about 7,000 in value since I bought it 5 years ago, which is pretty good. Its not too fancy, no bells and whistles but a great, fun, reliable car that gets great gas mileage (I average about 27-28 overall) and drive a mix of highway and side streets. I am planning on keeping this car until it dies, which should be at least another 5 years!!"

Surprised at repairs not expected

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good in snow"

Cons: "More repairs than the Audi it replaced"

"Purchased car brand new and have babied it every step of the way. I was surprised by a bad camshaft a year ago and now manual transmission failure. I thought a Toyota was supposed to be better than this."

dependable, economical, practical

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Love the mpg and dependability"

Cons: "Hard to get comfortable on long trips"

"If we buy a brand new car, we plan to keep it for at least 10 years. I've had my Rav4 for 9 years now and am extremely attached! She has NEVER had a real problem; starts every time, and regularly gets 25 mpg city and 30 mpg hwy. She's great for hauling all kinds of cargo; we even pull a small trailer with her - who needs a pickup? She works best with short commutes rather than long road trips - not the smoothest ride or most comfortable seats. She maneuvers well and is easy to park - great turn radius. Great A/C, heater, and electrical integrity."

An excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "fun"

Cons: "not a lot of space to organize everyday items"

"No problems until 9th year, then problems with power locks only. Never had another problem with it."