• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2001 Toyota RAV4

Based on 362 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

greatest reliability in 55 yrs of driving.

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "balance on curves is great! leather seats a plus"

Cons: "back seat has short leg space."

"reliability is excellent. tires wear well.paint holds up well. never any transmission problems. Never had any engine leaks. Only normal maintenance needed. one set of breaks needed in 132,000 mi. never uses oil. only complaint, it is a little noisy when using snow tires. Not fond of anti lock breaks however."

Toyota RAV4 reliable and awesome

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "cute car, reliable, good mileage, comfortable,"

Cons: "slight road noise in back seat"

"Toyota vehicles are so reliable and easy to maintain; amazing value"

Best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "great price , fun to drive , front seat comfort"

Cons: "cramped back seat leg room"

"The ride and driving experience is wonderful.I get 26 mpg/city and around 30 mpg/hwy,even after 10 years. Never any problems,major or minor. Body integrity is great and I especially like the look of the tire on the back...it used to be unique,but not anymore. I have recommended the car to many people."

Favorite Vehicle I Have Owned - Great Gas Mileage!

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Price, Reliability and Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Simple interior, small cargo space"

"I bought my RAV4 with 107K miles for $8,000. This model of RAV4 have transmission problems due to a bad Electronic Control Module (ECM or computer). Toyota has fixed the issue but requires the purchase and install of a new ECM. I bought my RAV4 with a reconditioned transmission and the replacement of the ECM. So, I have a 2002 RAV4 with a resolved transmission issue. My family is brand loyal to Toyota quality and have owned several Toyota vehicles over the years. We drive our cars into the dirt. I plan to pass down my RAV4 to my 12 yr old son in a few years. I am confident it will be able to handle the high mileage and a lead foot. Go Toyota! I love what you do for me :)"

Best Car I have owned

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Cons: "No "cons" for me."

"I've loved my car since I purchase it new in 2003 with 25 mi. All of the milage has been driven by me up & down the East Coast from Maine to Key West and finally settling in Fla. The car has never left me stranded anywhere. I take credit for this by ensuring that it gets it's follow-up service changes. While living up north, during the winter months when other more newer models i.e. maxima's would not start with low temps, my motor with no effort just smoothly turn over and away we go. I have given some thought to upgrading after 10 yrs of service, but can't seem to let it go. I really have gotten fantastic service from this Rav 4."

Dependable Toyota

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Typical dependable Toyota"

Cons: "Engine needs to be a 2.2 instead of a 2.0 liter,"

"As with every other Toyota on the road this one will go further than the energizer bunny. No major repairs done for the last 40,000 miles beyond typical maintenance. Only downside is the engine can be a bit sluggish on the interstate and I wish the top gear was a little higher to allow better mpg on the 75mph country roads."

It is a very solid car all way round.

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

"I got all the value and more for the overall price.Provides comfort and trust-worthiness.Solid like a s.u.v. but drives and handles like a luxury car. I'M so confident in quality and value I'm going to drive it for a total of 15 years before buying another."

I LOVE MY RAV4!!!!

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, roomy but still compact"

Cons: "had to replace the transmission"

"I love my Rav! It is the best car I have ever owned!! It is big enough to cart around all of my equestrian equiptment and on occassion I have had to use it as the farm vehicle. It is easy and comfortable to drive. It is nice and compact while still offering so much room on the interior. The only complaint I have about this car is that I had to replace the transmission about 3 years ago."

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST CAR EVER!!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Reason: My son needed a vehicle.

Pros: "Excellent car for reliability!! Also tons of room."

Cons: "Seats aren't that comfy, but not a big deal."

"With my job and love for travel, in 10 years I put over 220,000 miles on this car. Aside from normal maintenance, I have had NO problems with this vehicle. I have since given it to my son in upstate NY and he is still driving it, through snow now, and has had no problems!!!"

A solid AWD CUV (car-based utility vehicle)

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, great AWD, good utility"

Cons: "audio system is not great"

""CUV" [car-based utility vehicle] is what the sales associate told me in 2003 when I bought this used 2001 Toyota RAV4. It had about 26K miles at time of purchase. It was purchased as a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned. NO MAJOR PROBLEMS FOR 10 YEARS. In 2005, I was in the passenger seat while my friend was driving in a snow storm. Friend was driving too fast for the conditions (human error, not mechanical failure), the car began to spin off the road, bounced off a dirt embankment and ended up in a ditch on its side. All passengers were wearing seat belts. Airbags did not need to deploy. 20 minutes later tow truck and police arrived (no alcohol or substances involved, this was road-condition related). RAV4 was flipped back to its wheels and winched out of the ditch. Damage report: One mud guard. No other damage. We were able to continue driving (albeit slower) the rest of the journey. I continued driving this vehicle through March of 2013, still with no major powertrain issues. Some convenience issues arose after about 8 years: rear door stopped responding to keyless entry. Then same with driver door after 9 years. But no major issues for the duration of my ownership. Passed 100,000 miles in 2012. Still a good vehicle, but wanted a change... next vehicle, Jeep Wrangler. But I would certainly recommend this vehicle. A good, solid AWD SUV (or CUV, although to this day, I have still never heard that phrase anywhere else). The car drives very well, especially on hills with the great low-end torque. It's high profile was nice for visibility in traffic. Drives smooth and although slow to accelerate, I generally am a conservative driver. Gas mileage was consistently between 19-25. Conservative driving style helps. Removable back seats is a GREAT function. As long as you have a place to store them when out of the car. Truck access from cabin is also nice. Highly recommend this car. Later RAV4 models were a bit longer, more "wagon-like" but the 2001 was no longer than a 1994 toyota carolla (my previous vehicle)."

Great car!

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Excellent price, reliability, great sporty looks"

Cons: "A little noisy on freeway, but great stereo"

"I bought this car used when it was just 3 yrs old and only 20,000 miles on it. This car has proven its utility, time and time again. The only time I ever had to get work done on it is when I got into an accident with another car, even after the repair, it runs beautifully. Snow, ice, toting several hundred pounds of unassembled furniture from Ikea (love the pop-out back seats), its been awesome! The only maintenance I do is the oil changes, and thats it. Thanks Toyota for making such a great car!"

Toyota is the only vehicle that I will own.

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, reliable, and enjoyable"

"I've started out with a 1993 Toyota Previa had it for five years. Gave me no problems and I traded it on a 1998 Toyota Sienna and like the Previa it had no problems. I then went into a 2002 Toyota Sienna with nice options and I could trust it to always make it home with or without problems. I had to replace an altenator, water pump that was pretty much all. Now I'm in a 2004 Toyota Rav4 and I'm very happy with the way it rides. Steering it is effortless and I like the spunk it has when you are sitting still and then give it gas it jumps and those are the kind of cars I enjoy. I know I will enjoy the Rav4 as much as I enjoyed the Previa and Sienna."

I will never buy a Toyota again !

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "Engine reliability, milage... 25 HWY."

Cons: "Transmission, interior, door locks & paint."

"Transmission went out at 83,000 miles and cost $5,000 to repair. Considering I'm an old lady that also drives like one... that's just beyond poor ! Cheap interior & driver door lock doesn't work anymore. Engine reliability has been good so far but only at 110000 miles thus yet. Also, paint already oxidizing."

12 years and I still LOVE this car

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "mpg, spacious, AWD, retained value"

Cons: "small engine"

"I bought this car in college 1 year used and with 19K miles. Now it's 12 years and 100K miles later and I can't seem to find anything I think I will love as much as my RAV4. I've driven this car on the beach, up to the ski resorts in blizzards, to mountain bike trails with 2 bikes upright and fully assembled in the back, and coast to coast 3 times and it's been SO reliable. Enough space to squeeze 600lbs of my gear in the back, removable seats, adjustable cupholders fit and hold EVERY size mug, decent gas mileage and rather good looks are some of my favorite features. I do find the seats get uncomfortable after about 3h of driving, but stuffing a coat behind me for lumbar support fixes that. NO leaks, major repairs, or anything other than routine maintenance required, which I do myself. Downsides-it's a bit basic and the engine is small so it's not something you'll gun to pass anyone other than a Jeep...that's all I've got. If I were selling my used RAV4, I'd market to a teen's first car: great visibility, safe, decent gas mileage (I get about 22) and a bit underpowered so you know they won't be drag racing anyone. But I'm not selling just yet. :)"

Best value I have ever owned.

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

"I bought this vehicle used with only 16,000 miles on it. The previous owners traded it for a larger vehicle when found they were expecting. This RAV is the Sports edition, with the scoop on the hood which gives it a nice look. The only problem I've had with it, other than routine maintenance, was an oxygen sensor that needed replaced around 105,000 miles."

Love this car

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, reliable, great in all weather"

Cons: "I have no cons for this vehicle"

"I absolutely love this car! It is outstanding in every kind of road condition. It has safely got me through ice storms and blizzards. Gets great gas mileage. Has lots of room, I am always saying there is very little I can't haul around in my Rav. It it completely reliable, have never had any issues with it. Gas, oil changes, new tires, wipers and a battery is all it has ever cost me after purchase. I highly recommend this car!"

Best SUV I have ever purchased

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "Great rde-Low maintenace-4 wheel dr. great in snow"

Cons: "Gas milage could be better but consider it is a 4"

"I purchased this SUV in 2003 with 18,000 miles. Except for brakes, rotors, tires and 2 batteries, these are the only costs to me since I purchased it. The SUV rides very smooth and has good acceleration for a 4 cyl. The removable seats as well as the roof racks are great! I can haul a lot of different sizes items. The seats are great for long drives. The heater works great. Also, no rust. Living in WI means a lot of salt. I love the layout of the dash board. I intend to kept this SUV forever!"

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my RAV4

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, I'm not fond of the newer body style"

"I bought my Rav4 brand new in 2001 & everyday I am thankful I found such a wonderful car. I've not had one problem with it, I take it to the dealership when it's due for it's checkups & she still runs like a top. She's an indoor car & still looks new. I sworn off American cars years ago, because of previous problems on one thing or another, junks everyone, the cars I had literately spent more time getting fixed then in my garage. Everyone lemons. I got tired of wasting my money. So, I made the jump, I didn't think I would ever, but now you can't make me buy another American car over Toyota brand."

best car

By on Sunday, September 09, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "ok"

"i love the look. the style it drives good."

I LOVE MY TOYOTA!

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Pros: "resale value, fun to drive, peppy, cute!"

Cons: "thin seat cushioning"

"If I could change anything about my RAV4, it would be adding more padding in the seats. Everything else is wonderful :)"

Zips in and out...easy to park and drive

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Sporty, dependable and reliable!"

Cons: "Front airbags only."

"All I've had to do is regular oil changes/tire rotations...tires I replaced @ 22K miles); skips a tad when picking up on wet pavement. Lots of pep and pickup for a small engine. About 22 mpg in city driving. Sporty and easy to drive and park. Rav4 was enlarged in 2005. Great runabout! Starts everytime I turn on the key! Very reliable. No repairs ever."

I love the Toyota Rav 4

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Cargo room without having a huge vehicle."

Cons: "Check engine light just likes to be on."

"I bought my Rav 4 brand new in 2001. Originally I was going for the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but after a dealer snafu I had to choose a different model completely. What attracted me to the PT Cruiser was the ability to tumble and take out the seats. This function on the Rav 4 made me a buyer. I have moved over 12 times (once across the country), and have moved nearly everything using my Rav 4 - Couches on the rooftop, chairs inside, boxes upon boxes. I love the Toyota Rav 4. This car has been reliable and has paid for itself twice over in the 11 years that I have had it. Now that the car is over 200,000 miles, I'm seeking a new one but hesitant to because this one is like my baby. Cons about the Rav 4: The high center of gravity means that you shouldn't take turns too fast. I have managed to lift two wheels off the pavement before. Ever since I got the vehicle I've had trouble with the check engine light. It just likes to be on - for NO REASON. It always says it's an oxygen sensor. But, I have changed the oxygen sensors, the oxygen manifold, etc. time and time again. Finally, I just gave up on it and it works just fine with that check engine light on. Be aware though - Having that check engine light on makes it difficult for registration in certain states."

Love my 2004 RAV 4

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pros: "well made, cute, dependable..."

"I love my 2004 Rav 4, no problems at all... I've only had to replace the tires, do oil changes and it keeps on running...."

Great up to 8 years

By on Monday, July 09, 2012

Pros: "Great for first 8 years, easy to drive"

Cons: "Very costly once major problems begin."

"2003 Rav4 had no major problems until it hit 8 years old. Needed a new catalytic converter and 3 cylinders and spark plugs for $1800, a year later at 9 years old it needed a new water pump, exhaust system, wheel rod, tires, and battery for total $2000. This car is easy to drive because of small dimensions and higher height than a sedan. Very easy to parallel park because it's so short to fit in very small spots. Fortunately original cost of car is cheap - got it under $20000 new. Will probably keep and maintain if repair costs are under $2000 per year."

250,000 miles virtually trouble free.

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "Great on snow and ice. Never breaks down."

Cons: "Sensors replaced twice."

"250,000 miles with only significant problem that sensors needed to be replaced twice and water pump at 200,000 miles. Original power steering, master cylinder, alternator and BATTERY! Air conditioning clutch loud last 4 years. Catalytic converter needed cleaning. Plugs replaced twice -- 25.5 mpg through whole life."

See if you qualify for