2000 Toyota RAV4

Based on 293 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Great little workhorse!

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "It needed a little more leg room, front and back."

Cons: "Not good for tight turns."

"I purchased this RAV4 new in 1999 and although I had problems with a 1995 Toyota Tacoma, I have been extremely happy with this car. I delivered mail out of it, use it for family and now put my walker in the back. It's never let me down in the 14 years I've had it. Never a breakdown and completely reliable."

I LOVE my Rav!

By on Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Oh, my gosh, where do I start...I LOVE my Rav!! I got it with 119K and it now has 164K and still going strong! Regular maintenance, brakes, tires, previous owner put a new timing belt on at 94K. Nothing major. I would recommend this car in a heartbeat. In fact, my husband and I can't wait to get rid of our Pontiac Montana (when carpooling ends in June) and trade it in for another Rav. The Pontiac has been nothing but expensive trouble and the Rav has been nothing but dependable. I love that it gets into small parking spaces so easily and I love that I get 30 mpg with a mix of city and hwy. driving! I'm sad that they made it bigger, I like this smaller version. One last thing...I'm older and I don't like climbing in and out of smaller cars like a Corolla. The Rav is the perfect height for someone who just wants to get in their car without twisting a hip or knee out of joint."

Perhaps the best

By on Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"Never owned an Asian vehicle and boy, have I missed out. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned period. Yes, I bought it used and it was maintained somewhat, but wow! With 126000 miles when bought and now 140000 and doesn't leak anything at all. Doesn't burn or use oil or smoke. It is flawless in every way. A bit small even with four doors, but superior handling and driving. The reliability can not be matched and I have driven imports and domestic vehicles of all sorts. I bought it cheap and to just check out and simply feel in love with it in everyway. I can't find anything wrong with it at all. The proof is in the pudding for sure. I can't imagine what one of these things would be like brand new. In fact, the girl who sold it to me actually bought a new one and same color and I see why. It is over built like the Lexus. I'm sold and will drive this one for a very long time and will purchase a Toyota next time, no doubt about it."

I can't wear it out!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"I'm the second owner of my 1997 Rav4 and at 218,000+ miles I keep hoping it will conk out on me so I can justify buying something new, but it just keeps on ticking! I have put nearly 100,000 miles on the car since purchasing it and have not had to do ANY repairs on it! It gets regular oil and fluid changes, checkups, etc., but that's it! I do admit that finally . . . about 5 or 6 thousand miles ago, a very small oil leak became apparent on my garage floor and it is burning a bit of oil now, but what the heck, look at the mileage on it! No compression loss at all so I'm tooling merrily along. We also have a 2000 Mitsubishi montero and with the seats folded down, there's more cargo area in the mighty Rav than in the Montero. I also love the AWD option - hands down better than any 4WD vechicle I've owned, and living in the boondocks, I've owned many. It handles EXCEPTIONALLY well in the snow and inclement weather. In 1997 it wasn't built to be a luxury car, so yes, there's some road noise and the seats aren't exactly Lexus type, but I've driven it all day before and the driver's seat remains more than adequately comfortable. It still idles perfectly - I was getting a smog check recently and the technician asked me to turn on the engine - I told him it was already running and he couldn't believe it. The cruise control works great - it doesn't slow down or speed up slightly, like some CC options. I did replace the stereo and front speakers a few years ago with some good equipment, but given the rig's road noise, I wouldn't put a lot of money into high end speakers. Oh yeah - the one thing that's always been "wrong" with it is when I put the fan all the way to defrost, for some reason the A/C light kicks on, but it doesn't affect the functionality. For a 10 year old car, I'm not gonna worry about that. For me, it's just been a great value, and a very dependable rig, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat, if they weren't so dang expensive now!"

My RAV4

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"My 99' RAV4 is a vehicle that I'll continue to rave about long after it's gone. It has given me little by way of repairs...a little bit of brake work, a new set of tires and that's all about that. The ac works just as well as it did that day I took delivery. The handling and control are still as agile and the fuel consumption still gives me a good return for my dollars. Mine's a hunter green color, and once again, it still looks as good as it did years back. No rust, a few pings and things here and there but still very decent looking. I am considering adding leather to refresh the interior, that's how much I love this car. My advice is, should you encounter this gem grab it and keep it. Period"