2000 Toyota RAV4

Based on 298 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Great little workhorse!

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "It needed a little more leg room, front and back."

Cons: "Not good for tight turns."

"I purchased this RAV4 new in 1999 and although I had problems with a 1995 Toyota Tacoma, I have been extremely happy with this car. I delivered mail out of it, use it for family and now put my walker in the back. It's never let me down in the 14 years I've had it. Never a breakdown and completely reliable."

This car is excellent

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Cons: "none."

"I have had this car for 14 years. It has never broken down, gas milage is good. The body does not have any rust. It handles well and can move out when needed. Not always the case with a small car. Itake it to the garage for regular maintance. It also rides well and the interior is in great shape. All in all a great car."

Reliable, safe and dependable transportation

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"I bought this auto at 52,600 miles and it remains a very reliable, safe and dependable transportation. I have used just two front seats last two years as I travel about the country. The roadability is stable and secure."

Most economical, useful vehicle we've ever owned

By on Sunday, April 12, 2009

"We bought our RAV4 new in 1999. Our is an AWD model. Ten years later is has 200,000 miles and is still going strong. It uses NO oil between changes. I replaced the tires yesterday because the tread was looking a little thin (but still perfectly even) and some small cracks were showing in the sidewalls, and when I checked my records I found I had gotten 107,000 miles on this set of tires - a tribute both to the quality of the RAV4 and the tires (Yokohama Geolander H/T-S which are perfect for this car). I drive this car 100 miles a day 5 days a week to commute and it is never in the shop. It gets a consistant 27 mpg. The AWD works great in the snow. I change the oil every 4,000 miles and have a Toyota dealer perform recommended servcies every 30,000 miles and that is all. Fantastic little car."

Best car I ever owned!

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, good gas mileage, very reliable."

Cons: "Expensive parts"

"I have had my Rav4 since 2001. I LOVE this car! It has never, ever broken down and left me sit anywhere! Sure, it has had some problems, like we had to replace the catalytic converter and other various parts that have worn out. The car is, after all, over 15 years old. That being said, however, I think it was the best $20,000 I ever spent. Being 15 years old, it still drives like a dream. I do 75 and 80 miles an hour on the highway and the steering wheel is steady as a rock. No vibrations or shimmying whatsoever. The only bad part is that parts for this model can be a little expensive and the heat shields under the front end tend to rust out a little so that there is a rattle when I first start it up sometimes but other than that, it's a great car. Also, the wheels are a little beat up and it has some dents and dings but I don't plan on selling it so that doesn't matter too much. It has over 215K miles and it still runs great."

Excelllent Gas Mileage

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

"I currently fill up with $40. and it last me 2 weeks or more. But I work less than 3 miles from home. I bought this car from a private owner last year. There is an anoying rattle that I can not find out where it comes from. Usually when I press on the brakes. I currently had the timing belt and valve cover changed. $$$. I bought with the inspection expired, but I thought it was nothing. Thank God for Air Check Texas. To pass emission the bill was $400. plus. Timing belt was close to $500. So I already have $1000 in it that I could not really afford. Comfort is not a strong point. I feel every bump and pot hole, and that is going 30 mph or less. Very bouncy vehicle. But, all around a decent vehicle once I get the oil pump leak fixed, and fix the rattling prob."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, spacious, good price"

Cons: "small cup holders, trunk door opens horizontally"

"I have owned this car since it was made in 1998. Couldn't have been a better purchase! It's considered a small SUV, but there is a huge trunk and is spacious for passengers. I would encourage any one to buy a Rav4!"

The best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Great value, very reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Needs extra cup holder, better cassette player"

"I own the 1996 version of this car. I it, by far, the most reliable car I have ever driven. I commute to school and work, about 60-80 miles each day. It's never broken down on me and is getting near the 200k mile mark. I've only owned it for 60k miles, but I've fallen in love over that period of time. Aside from routine maintenance like oil changes, tune-ups, and replacing the timing belt/ water pump, she's had zero mechanical issues and cosmetically, she is in pristine condition. My only complaints are the my stock cassette player (which is really fussy, but I refuse to waste money on a CD player) and sometimes it does not accelerate as fast as I'd like (but then again, I drive like an old lady and never 'floor it'). It's cozy but roomy, good for going on road trips and camping, it fits my GIANT dog very comfortably, there are very little blind spots, and I feel very safe in it (even in the winter). My last car was a Camry which was also great and convinced me to search for another Toyota (I slipped on black ice a few winters ago and that Camry saved my life). I would highly recommend this car to anyone."

Great service

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, 4WD great, handles good"

Cons: "Wish ride was little quieter inside"

"This vehicle has been a workhorse for a long-distance commuter. Usual upkeep all that has been required. Couldn't have asked for a more reliable vehicle. Easy to drive, handles great. Had 18,000 miles on it when purchased - now 299,900 and still going!"

Cant seem to kill it

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Original owner Well the 2k rav is a great suv. At 200K miles it still runs great, doesnt burn oil, doesnt smoke, doesnt leak. The paint still shines, the Wheels still look good. The breaks, well i have 200K miles and the fronts are on number 2 set, the rear are original. I have my 3rd set of tires. every power thing works, the clock died, which honestly ill take that over a tranny or something else. The motor is great, the 3sfe was a fantastic motor, the tranny is good for 300+hp so for the 127 it has, the tranny should last forever. It has had a few issues, which were very easy and cheap to fix. The rear break cable got stretched out over years of use, this was replaced. The rear breaks rattle a bit, but for the originals they probably just need a new set of pads. It hessitates every now and then, which i have not yet figured out why yet, but i am sure it is nothing big, probably needs some fuel injector cleaner and a good highway drive. The Suv is great in the snow and rain with good tires, its scary with bald ones, as its a short wheelbase. This is not a Beach truck, it is great in some mud and dirt, but the sand is a bit much for it. The system is Fulltime 4wd, it does not have a locking system, the stick version i believe does, but for a get from point A to B it is about as good as it gets. Plenty of room, power is really not their so flooring it helps (all the time). It will hit about 85 before it just wont go anymore. It stops like a porsche 911. It goes around corners on rails. The MPG is not that great, it gets about 20MPG combined and about 27 on the highway, 17 or so city, which for a small suv you would think better, if i dont beat on it, meaning drive 0-60 in 5min i can get about 23mpg combined. I would Buy another today, heck if you know anyone with one with a stick and less then 300K miles let me know."

Reliablity and Practical

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"The RAV4, I believe is a very reliable and practical mini SUV. My sister owns one 1999 92,000 miles and never even changes her oil (like every 20,000 miles) with no service problems...no joke..and I just bought one 1999 95,000. The Toyota reliability speaks for itself...Period! They really don't have a lot of horse power but last I checked you can't go over 75MPH legally anywhere in the US and it is sufficient for 50/50 city/hwy driving. I have owned Nissan Pathfinder(good vehicle but only 12 to 14 mpg in the city...still loved mine), GM(EVERY ONE THEY HAVE IS ABSOLUTE JUNK!!!) and Ford Explorer(not nearly as bad as the GM JUNKERS but still not very reliable over a lifetime) and while I loved my Pathfinder the gas mileage savings I am getting in my Rav4 (24/mpg city) is really quite something to take into consideration in over all cost and practicality these days. The interior is quite a bit smaller than I had expected but 4WD and it being a 4 cylinder with Toyota reliability is hard to beat. I am a research fanatic and when its all laid out a RAV4 is a very good buy and I would suggest them to anyone!"

An extremely reliable vehicle.

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"I bought my 1998 Toyota RAV4 in April of 2003 used. It had 48660 miles on it. It now has 117,500 in July of 2007. In the 4 years I have owned it, it has given me NO problems whatsoever. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have since bought a new Toyota RAV4, but kept my 1998. I would highly recommend the RAV4 to anyone, as well as any other Toyota model."

best car I have ever purchased

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "I brought from private party and got a good price"

Cons: "No arm rests on front seats"

"My 1998 RAV4 was purchased in 2000 with 18,000 miles; now it has 205,500 with original engine and trans; has only required normal maint. I will buy another RAV4 when this one drops dead; my goal is 300,000 miles. GO GET ONE!"

Has been maintained by a Toyota specialist.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Les Schwabb tires and NEW Brakes by L.S."

Cons: "Driver side only sun visor. Worked for us."

"Driven about 7,500 miles per year since we purchased the vehicle in 2007 from the original buyer. The Rav 4 is a reliable all wheel drive car that has NEW FRONT Brakes, a moon roof, electric windows and mirrors and has a tow package which was rarely used but, is handy if it is needed. It has a versatile roof rack, and spare tire holder mounted on the rear day, providing more storage in the back cargo area. Seats 4 comfortably and seat belts 5 passengers if the one in the middle is smaller. (smile) Our son took a teaching job in another country and won't be home for a few years, so we are selling it with the hopes that it will meet the needs of another driver who will appreciate the TLC it has been given over the years. The cloth seats, floor mats front, back, and rear compartment are in great shape and the radio, heater, AC all work great."

Keeps on going.

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Durability, dependability, no rust, looks great."

Cons: "Only 20 mpg, steep windshield collects bugs."

"Bought this car new. Was on waiting list to get it due to limited inventory. My oldest daughter drove it 4 years to college then my youngest drove it 4 years to college and I've driven it the past 8 years. Very few repairs other than wear and tear and aging. It's a runner. Even now people make comments thinking it's much newer than 1998. Never any rust on the paint. Will get you anywhere in snow and ice. Trading it in would be foolish. It's worth ten times it's book value to me and I'm confident it will go tens of thousands of more miles. For me it's one of those once in a lifetime vehicles."

Never let me down!

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "MPG, reliability"

Cons: "low horsepower, noisy engine"

"I love my '98 Rav4!! My little red rav has high miles but has never let me down even once. Aside from usual maintenance costs and one pricey repair (leaking front struts) this car has been extremely easy on my wallet. For a small SUV, the gas mileage is unbeatable! Like another user pointed out, I fill up for less than $40 which easily lasts me 2 weeks driving around in town. I have driven this car all over New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada with zero problems. The 4WD has (literally) been a life saver in the mountains & during the winters. It may not be the fastest or sexiest car around, but I can ALWAYS count on this little guy to get me from point A to point B!"

Great little SUV

By on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"Have a '99 Rav4, runs great. It's a reliable little thing, fits into all the spaces cars can. The large windows offer good visibility. It's fun to drive & feels very light and peppy, although it sometimes struggles with getting up to speed (especially on the freeway), because the engine is small. MPG is OK, but tends to be low when city driving + running AC/heater. The trunk has a LOT of space, & rear legroom is adequate. Interior is kind of bland, but at least it's not an eyesore. Safety is good (by '99 standards) but sometimes the car's balance seems a little precarious, especially when turning at high speeds. I don't see it dying anytime soon, but if it did, I'd buy it again."

11 years old and running strong

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"I purchased my 97' Rav4 in 99' and to date have never had any major mechanical problems. Gas mileage is still very good and I can't justify any reason to purchase a new car. In a way, I've been secretly wishing for something to go wrong so that I'll have a excuse to buy a fresh, pretty, shiny, new car. But alas, I'm stuck with old reliable."

Great SUV

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Great vehicle for Alaska driving. Good on the ice and snow. No mechanical issues to date."

Best Car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Dependable transportation for a good price"

Cons: "Back doors"

"I've driven this car over most of the western US and all around the Arizona desert on some challenging roads and through it all my Rav4 has been dependable. It now has 204000 miles but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts another 100,000 or more!"

Love my RAV!!!

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Not too big, not to small, just a great drive."

Cons: "needs another 12v outlet."

"I bought my RAV 8 years ago with 99,000 miles on it. Since then I've driven it an additional 157,000+. It still looks and runs like the day I bought it. It has never let me down. If you're thinking about getting a RAV, make sure that you get the color and options you want. You're going to have it a REALLY LONG TIME. It's not a car, it's not a truck, it's a RAV!!!"

I love it

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage, low maintenance. fun"

Cons: "Noisier than new vehicles."

"Leased my Rav 4 in April 1999. Loved it so much I bought it when the lease ran out. Fourteen years and 246,000 miles later it is still reliable and fun to drive. No major repairs ever. Regular Oil changes, tires and a trip to the mechanic every two years keeps it on the road. I live 20 miles from work and buy one tank of gas a week. Hope to keep it on the road for a few more years."

A very good car

By on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Pros: "A very reliable car - hot or cold weather"

Cons: "larger engine when AC is on - going up the hill"

"RAV4 has been a great car for our family. As empty nesters we just have 1 too many cars, that's why we're selling it."

Two Rav4s

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good in snow"

Cons: "one cup holder, little rough ride"

"I loved my first Rav4 (1996) so much that when it was totaled I only wanted another one. I ended up with an even nicer one- 1997, L series, upgrades, etc. I LOVE this car. People looking for a smooth ride should look elsewhere. Fun to drive, great in snow and rain, great on bumpy roads, but compared to a sedan the ride is rough. It is a shame the new Ravs are different."

Good Car

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Well, if your looking for an off road vehicle that you can drive on road, its pretty good. But if your looking for a car that can get up really steep hills on highways, it works if you work hard... I have owned this car for this year and like it, but don't get me wrong though, it also sucks. I have the special edition which has a sport button that does absolutely nothing and if you get into a situation where you need to accelerate fast you have no hope because it only has 127 horse power. however for everyday use, its perfect! i swear that car can fit anywhere you want it! i parked it next to a mini cooper the other day and saw that it was just a little bit wider. But the room inside is fine, i have fit 5 people in it, squished in. And the back seats fold down, the trunk space is kindof small."