1999 Toyota RAV4

Based on 300 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Reliable, safe and dependable transportation

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"I bought this auto at 52,600 miles and it remains a very reliable, safe and dependable transportation. I have used just two front seats last two years as I travel about the country. The roadability is stable and secure."

Most economical, useful vehicle we've ever owned

By on Sunday, April 12, 2009

"We bought our RAV4 new in 1999. Our is an AWD model. Ten years later is has 200,000 miles and is still going strong. It uses NO oil between changes. I replaced the tires yesterday because the tread was looking a little thin (but still perfectly even) and some small cracks were showing in the sidewalls, and when I checked my records I found I had gotten 107,000 miles on this set of tires - a tribute both to the quality of the RAV4 and the tires (Yokohama Geolander H/T-S which are perfect for this car). I drive this car 100 miles a day 5 days a week to commute and it is never in the shop. It gets a consistant 27 mpg. The AWD works great in the snow. I change the oil every 4,000 miles and have a Toyota dealer perform recommended servcies every 30,000 miles and that is all. Fantastic little car."

This car is excellent

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Cons: "none."

"I have had this car for 14 years. It has never broken down, gas milage is good. The body does not have any rust. It handles well and can move out when needed. Not always the case with a small car. Itake it to the garage for regular maintance. It also rides well and the interior is in great shape. All in all a great car."

Cant seem to kill it

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Original owner Well the 2k rav is a great suv. At 200K miles it still runs great, doesnt burn oil, doesnt smoke, doesnt leak. The paint still shines, the Wheels still look good. The breaks, well i have 200K miles and the fronts are on number 2 set, the rear are original. I have my 3rd set of tires. every power thing works, the clock died, which honestly ill take that over a tranny or something else. The motor is great, the 3sfe was a fantastic motor, the tranny is good for 300+hp so for the 127 it has, the tranny should last forever. It has had a few issues, which were very easy and cheap to fix. The rear break cable got stretched out over years of use, this was replaced. The rear breaks rattle a bit, but for the originals they probably just need a new set of pads. It hessitates every now and then, which i have not yet figured out why yet, but i am sure it is nothing big, probably needs some fuel injector cleaner and a good highway drive. The Suv is great in the snow and rain with good tires, its scary with bald ones, as its a short wheelbase. This is not a Beach truck, it is great in some mud and dirt, but the sand is a bit much for it. The system is Fulltime 4wd, it does not have a locking system, the stick version i believe does, but for a get from point A to B it is about as good as it gets. Plenty of room, power is really not their so flooring it helps (all the time). It will hit about 85 before it just wont go anymore. It stops like a porsche 911. It goes around corners on rails. The MPG is not that great, it gets about 20MPG combined and about 27 on the highway, 17 or so city, which for a small suv you would think better, if i dont beat on it, meaning drive 0-60 in 5min i can get about 23mpg combined. I would Buy another today, heck if you know anyone with one with a stick and less then 300K miles let me know."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Great value, very reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Needs extra cup holder, better cassette player"

"I own the 1996 version of this car. I it, by far, the most reliable car I have ever driven. I commute to school and work, about 60-80 miles each day. It's never broken down on me and is getting near the 200k mile mark. I've only owned it for 60k miles, but I've fallen in love over that period of time. Aside from routine maintenance like oil changes, tune-ups, and replacing the timing belt/ water pump, she's had zero mechanical issues and cosmetically, she is in pristine condition. My only complaints are the my stock cassette player (which is really fussy, but I refuse to waste money on a CD player) and sometimes it does not accelerate as fast as I'd like (but then again, I drive like an old lady and never 'floor it'). It's cozy but roomy, good for going on road trips and camping, it fits my GIANT dog very comfortably, there are very little blind spots, and I feel very safe in it (even in the winter). My last car was a Camry which was also great and convinced me to search for another Toyota (I slipped on black ice a few winters ago and that Camry saved my life). I would highly recommend this car to anyone."