1999 Toyota RAV4

Based on 297 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Never let me down!

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "MPG, reliability"

Cons: "low horsepower, noisy engine"

"I love my '98 Rav4!! My little red rav has high miles but has never let me down even once. Aside from usual maintenance costs and one pricey repair (leaking front struts) this car has been extremely easy on my wallet. For a small SUV, the gas mileage is unbeatable! Like another user pointed out, I fill up for less than $40 which easily lasts me 2 weeks driving around in town. I have driven this car all over New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada with zero problems. The 4WD has (literally) been a life saver in the mountains & during the winters. It may not be the fastest or sexiest car around, but I can ALWAYS count on this little guy to get me from point A to point B!"

Great little SUV

By on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"Have a '99 Rav4, runs great. It's a reliable little thing, fits into all the spaces cars can. The large windows offer good visibility. It's fun to drive & feels very light and peppy, although it sometimes struggles with getting up to speed (especially on the freeway), because the engine is small. MPG is OK, but tends to be low when city driving + running AC/heater. The trunk has a LOT of space, & rear legroom is adequate. Interior is kind of bland, but at least it's not an eyesore. Safety is good (by '99 standards) but sometimes the car's balance seems a little precarious, especially when turning at high speeds. I don't see it dying anytime soon, but if it did, I'd buy it again."

11 years old and running strong

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"I purchased my 97' Rav4 in 99' and to date have never had any major mechanical problems. Gas mileage is still very good and I can't justify any reason to purchase a new car. In a way, I've been secretly wishing for something to go wrong so that I'll have a excuse to buy a fresh, pretty, shiny, new car. But alas, I'm stuck with old reliable."

Great SUV

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Great vehicle for Alaska driving. Good on the ice and snow. No mechanical issues to date."

Best Car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Dependable transportation for a good price"

Cons: "Back doors"

"I've driven this car over most of the western US and all around the Arizona desert on some challenging roads and through it all my Rav4 has been dependable. It now has 204000 miles but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts another 100,000 or more!"