• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1999 Toyota RAV4

Based on 279 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

The best

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cute,"

"I hate to sell this vehicle. It has been totally great. I replaced the cruise control, got new shocks, But nothing major. I hope I am this lucky with my next car."

Awesome car

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "Great size vehicle for city/burb living"

Cons: "No knee room in backseat"

"I bought my Rav brand new in 1998 & have enjoyed it completely. It runs great and fun to drive. It handles very well on both highway and city driving. I have only taken short road trips (<300 miles). I've mostly used it for day to day purposes and living in Chicago, it's gotten its fair share of city living use. I has also performed great in the winter with heavy snow. The front seats are comfortable for most people. I'm 5'10" so I have never had an issue with knee room. However, the back seats don't have the greatest knee room unless the front seats are moved forward. It also has plenty of interior room to haul stuff with the backseats folded down. I've used it to move twice and I shop at Sam's Club and sometimes can't believe the amount of stuff I can cram into it. I wouldn't be surprised if I had it for another 5-10 years, but would happily buy another brand new one without hesitation."

Great little SUV!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "rugged, sits high, fun, decent 4X mileage"

Cons: "rough highway ride, low on power"

"I bought this car 10 years ago. It was 7 years old with 30K. It is a second car for the family, mostly in snow in winter and to go to our cabin in summer. The car is a tank. We have only done routine maintenance and expected wear (tires, brakes, new exhaust system at 14 years). It keeps us dry, warm and comfortable, no matter what the road or weather conditions. If I could buy a new one I would, otherwise we will probably just keep this one on the road forever."

GETS THE JOB DONE

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "Reliable. Low maintenance. Cheap parts"

Cons: "No passing power. Rough rider"

"I bought this car with 185,000 miles on it. I'm a Salesman, so I drive a lot. No major problems so far. I did replace tires, struts and shocks when I first bought it. Replaced alternator, Battery too. Burns no oil. Just a great running little car. Drove it to New Mexico and back, over 3000 miles without any problems. Not very fast. Cops pay no attention to it. Like it's invisible. Handles ok, a bit rough on the ride.. I just like the fact that I turn the key and it starts. One of the coldest winters in Wisconsin history, and it has started every single day without fail. Sitting outside every night in below zero weather. Will drive it to the bitter end."

Great Rav 4

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Realiable"

Cons: "Could have more cargo space"

"I have been the owner of this car since May 1999 and have nothing but good things to say about this car. Mine is a 5 speed fully loaded and never any problems."

See if you qualify for