1999 Toyota RAV4

Based on 283 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Best car I have ever owned

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "very reliable, cheap to own, fun to drive"

Cons: "At 200,000 it started to need more maintenance"

"I bought my 1998 Toyota RAV4 as a used car when it was 5 years old, in 2003, for $10,000, and it's now the end of 2014, and I'm still driving it. It's a very reliable and trustworthy car. I have driven it across the United States and Canada several times, moved in it several times, and carried furniture and pets and boxes and camping gear in it. In the 11 years I have owned it, I have replaced the tires twice, the brakes once, the timing belt once, and the transmission once. At 257,000 miles it finally developed a problem difficult to fix: the EGR emission system is buggy now. But that's it. The car still runs great!"

Great car, reliable, I would buy it again.

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Great little SUV. Reliable. Fun."

Cons: "Paint starts wearing out after 15 years."

"This is a great car. I bought it in 2002 with 78000 miles and have put about the same amount of miles on it in the 12 years since. I have maintained it religiously - it has only needed one repair, an oxygen sensor, for $100. Better than any car I've ever owned. The paint job is wearing out at 17 years but other than that, this little SUV should go another 150,000 miles. It is peppy - goes up hills at 70 mph, and I never go over 3000 on the tachometer. Plenty of room for two though I've carried four adults besides me in it just fine. The only other problem is that in Northern CA people steel the spare tire and wheel - even though I had locking lug nuts. Not the car's fault though, and if I had garage space that wouldn't have happened. Bottom line: great car. It has a Celica chassis, drives like a sport car, After 2006 Toyota changed the engine and chassis and went to a truck chassis - whole different ball game. I'm a short woman and someone told me that "women like Rav4s" - it may be true. With mirrors and the good visibility through all windows from driver's position, there are no blind spots. Highly recommended."

best car ever

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "what are you talking about!"

"I love this car great for every occasion. Never let me down.Thank you Rav4."

Fantastic

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

"This vehicle is champ. It has held up mechanically aside from normal wear and tear thats typical of any vehicle. The 4wd still works, minor transmision issues (hard to shift 4th gear, but not impossible) but still original trans. the gas mileage has held up and has a minor oil leak (valve cover gaskets, easily replaced). Im stating all of this just to say that the vehicle is extremely reliable and safe thus far. I recommend any used car buyer to this car, as long as previous owner has held up maintenance."

love my rave

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "gets me where I need to go, comfortable, reliable"

Cons: "needs a bit more power, but love it anyway"

"I have had my rave4 for about 3 years, it is the best little car I have ever owned, had a few minor things done to it, but it is always dependable, when I got it, it had 94000 miles on it, I don't do much traveling but when I do its maybe about 30 to 60 miles with no problems. would love to update to a newer date , maybe a 2005."

A great vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Still gets 27mpg, use to be 30, Mo. went to corn."

Cons: "6 speed MANUAL, HAND crank windown :)"

"Original Owner and this vehicle came off the car show floor. Replaced all belts when 10 years old, changed oil/filter every 5000. First Rav-4 in Missouri and has it been a fantastic vehicle. After 18 1/2 years decided time for something new. Probably a big mistake. Last month finally had to replace something, the starter. Other than that, all original on this car except battery, tires. Guess that is all I ever replaced. Keeps going and going. Been one heck of a fantastic vehicle and still it great shape. No rust, seats/interior still fantastic shape!"

I love this car!

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Looks good, drives good, lasts good."

"My 1999 Toyota has nearly a half-million miles on her and she is not slowing down yet. Original motor, radiator replaced once and that was in April 2014, water pump replaced once. I have enjoyed this car so much. When you have a car payment, it's such a good thing to have no repair bills too. But to drive a paid-for car and still have very few repairs is a beautiful thing."

I have owned since new and it has been great car

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "Pd 17,000 New 2000 pd by 2003. Reliable low cost"

Cons: "No AC in rear."

"Car has 225,000 miles, and has served me great. I bought with 28 miles on it, and have been only driver. Drove all over Florida and to Vermont many times. Replaced timing belt at 125,000 and at 200,000. I have never broke down. October 2013 when replaced timing belt; I also did brakes, tires, complete tune up and also radiator due to little rust which "might" have caused leak in future. I have put 25,000 miles on since then. I am just considering looking for new car since it has been 15 years. I do not NEED new car. I think I could put at least another 100,000 on it. I have almost all service records."

Wise Investment!!!

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Can't beat price with lack of needed repairs"

Cons: "Hmm?"

"Personal possessions have never meant much to me. One exception: My Rav4! This vehicle is 17 years old and I have had virtually no repairs. My list is this: battery/tire replacement and brake pads tightened. That's it! I simply keep oil and transmission fluid clean. It's not a fast or sporty-looking car. And the gas mileage is only fair. I did develop rust on back passenger-side wheel well as the protection shield came off (something I never noticed). Otherwise, this car is a charm for me! I suspect I'll own it another 17 years. Better built than my home."

Never dissapoints!

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "bullet proof, good on gas, 4x4,"

Cons: "not very comfortable for tall people"

"This is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it used 7 years ago and it is still running strong. I have done everything I can to make this car quit and it just doesn't. Even after my accident with an f150 In 2010 everything still works and the the only damage was cosmetic. We use this car as a field vehicle and the four wheel drive makes getting through any terrain easy. The 5 speed, 2.0 inline four cylinder combo usually allows me to get 25-28 mpg (not always nicely driven). I used to be a domestic only guy but after owning my rav 4 Toyota is definitely a way to go. True quality!"

best car I have ever purchased

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "I brought from private party and got a good price"

Cons: "No arm rests on front seats"

"My 1998 RAV4 was purchased in 2000 with 18,000 miles; now it has 205,500 with original engine and trans; has only required normal maint. I will buy another RAV4 when this one drops dead; my goal is 300,000 miles. GO GET ONE!"

Love this car.

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Great car for price."

"I bought this car used in 2000 with 30,000 miles. 14 years later and driven by all my children still runs great. Never broke down only regular maintenance, very reliable."

Best Car Ever

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Dependability, durability, appearance, performance"

Cons: "Replaced water pump twice."

"I've put a little money in it but after 16 years it still looks great, no body rust ever, repairs have been only wear and tear items. Goes anywhere in snow and ice. Interior as good as day I bought it except normal wear on carpets. Still 22 23 mpg as when new. 192000 miles and will definitely make it to a quarter million. Still get compliments from strangers and those who know the car still make me offers to buy it."

Has been maintained by a Toyota specialist.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Les Schwabb tires and NEW Brakes by L.S."

Cons: "Driver side only sun visor. Worked for us."

"Driven about 7,500 miles per year since we purchased the vehicle in 2007 from the original buyer. The Rav 4 is a reliable all wheel drive car that has NEW FRONT Brakes, a moon roof, electric windows and mirrors and has a tow package which was rarely used but, is handy if it is needed. It has a versatile roof rack, and spare tire holder mounted on the rear day, providing more storage in the back cargo area. Seats 4 comfortably and seat belts 5 passengers if the one in the middle is smaller. (smile) Our son took a teaching job in another country and won't be home for a few years, so we are selling it with the hopes that it will meet the needs of another driver who will appreciate the TLC it has been given over the years. The cloth seats, floor mats front, back, and rear compartment are in great shape and the radio, heater, AC all work great."

The best

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cute,"

"I hate to sell this vehicle. It has been totally great. I replaced the cruise control, got new shocks, But nothing major. I hope I am this lucky with my next car."

Awesome car

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "Great size vehicle for city/burb living"

Cons: "No knee room in backseat"

"I bought my Rav brand new in 1998 & have enjoyed it completely. It runs great and fun to drive. It handles very well on both highway and city driving. I have only taken short road trips (<300 miles). I've mostly used it for day to day purposes and living in Chicago, it's gotten its fair share of city living use. I has also performed great in the winter with heavy snow. The front seats are comfortable for most people. I'm 5'10" so I have never had an issue with knee room. However, the back seats don't have the greatest knee room unless the front seats are moved forward. It also has plenty of interior room to haul stuff with the backseats folded down. I've used it to move twice and I shop at Sam's Club and sometimes can't believe the amount of stuff I can cram into it. I wouldn't be surprised if I had it for another 5-10 years, but would happily buy another brand new one without hesitation."

Great little SUV!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "rugged, sits high, fun, decent 4X mileage"

Cons: "rough highway ride, low on power"

"I bought this car 10 years ago. It was 7 years old with 30K. It is a second car for the family, mostly in snow in winter and to go to our cabin in summer. The car is a tank. We have only done routine maintenance and expected wear (tires, brakes, new exhaust system at 14 years). It keeps us dry, warm and comfortable, no matter what the road or weather conditions. If I could buy a new one I would, otherwise we will probably just keep this one on the road forever."

GETS THE JOB DONE

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "Reliable. Low maintenance. Cheap parts"

Cons: "No passing power. Rough rider"

"I bought this car with 185,000 miles on it. I'm a Salesman, so I drive a lot. No major problems so far. I did replace tires, struts and shocks when I first bought it. Replaced alternator, Battery too. Burns no oil. Just a great running little car. Drove it to New Mexico and back, over 3000 miles without any problems. Not very fast. Cops pay no attention to it. Like it's invisible. Handles ok, a bit rough on the ride.. I just like the fact that I turn the key and it starts. One of the coldest winters in Wisconsin history, and it has started every single day without fail. Sitting outside every night in below zero weather. Will drive it to the bitter end."

Great Rav 4

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Realiable"

Cons: "Could have more cargo space"

"I have been the owner of this car since May 1999 and have nothing but good things to say about this car. Mine is a 5 speed fully loaded and never any problems."

Best Car/SUV That I Will Probably Ever Own!!!

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "EVERYTHING"

"I remember the day I bought the car, I knew I would have Good Luck with it. It has gotten me through some tough rides home in the snow. I commute 30 min away from my job. I have been through torn up roads, camping, vacations, everything!!! Right now, it is out of commission, timing belt. Called Toyota, no problem, will be fixed tomorrow at a decent cost. I have to take care of that car, as it has gotten me through rough times and it still looks great. By the way timing belt, it went 270,000 miles and this is the only major repair to this car EVER!!!!!"

Keeps on going.

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Durability, dependability, no rust, looks great."

Cons: "Only 20 mpg, steep windshield collects bugs."

"Bought this car new. Was on waiting list to get it due to limited inventory. My oldest daughter drove it 4 years to college then my youngest drove it 4 years to college and I've driven it the past 8 years. Very few repairs other than wear and tear and aging. It's a runner. Even now people make comments thinking it's much newer than 1998. Never any rust on the paint. Will get you anywhere in snow and ice. Trading it in would be foolish. It's worth ten times it's book value to me and I'm confident it will go tens of thousands of more miles. For me it's one of those once in a lifetime vehicles."

Best Car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Dependable transportation for a good price"

Cons: "Back doors"

"I've driven this car over most of the western US and all around the Arizona desert on some challenging roads and through it all my Rav4 has been dependable. It now has 204000 miles but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts another 100,000 or more!"

Love my RAV!!!

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Not too big, not to small, just a great drive."

Cons: "needs another 12v outlet."

"I bought my RAV 8 years ago with 99,000 miles on it. Since then I've driven it an additional 157,000+. It still looks and runs like the day I bought it. It has never let me down. If you're thinking about getting a RAV, make sure that you get the color and options you want. You're going to have it a REALLY LONG TIME. It's not a car, it's not a truck, it's a RAV!!!"

Decent car with a few extras

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "great value at this price range"

Cons: "under powered up steep hills"

"I purchased this suv ,new in 1999. I have 148,000 trouble free miles. replacement of the timing belt and water pump has been the only major maintenance that has been done to the vehicle. The Handling of the truck is excellent.The ride is comfortable for such a small truck. The 4 wheel drive(full time) has been excellent in snow/mud and limited off road driving. I have NEVER gotten stuck. My only real gripes are the engine horse power conversion and the gas mileage, but we are talking about a 15 year old vehicle, all in all I give the little suv a 7 out of 10 rating and would purchase the next generation model."

Best car I ever owned!

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, good gas mileage, very reliable."

Cons: "Expensive parts"

"I have had my Rav4 since 2001. I LOVE this car! It has never, ever broken down and left me sit anywhere! Sure, it has had some problems, like we had to replace the catalytic converter and other various parts that have worn out. The car is, after all, over 15 years old. That being said, however, I think it was the best $20,000 I ever spent. Being 15 years old, it still drives like a dream. I do 75 and 80 miles an hour on the highway and the steering wheel is steady as a rock. No vibrations or shimmying whatsoever. The only bad part is that parts for this model can be a little expensive and the heat shields under the front end tend to rust out a little so that there is a rattle when I first start it up sometimes but other than that, it's a great car. Also, the wheels are a little beat up and it has some dents and dings but I don't plan on selling it so that doesn't matter too much. It has over 215K miles and it still runs great."