1999 Toyota RAV4

Based on 293 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Great little workhorse!

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "It needed a little more leg room, front and back."

Cons: "Not good for tight turns."

"I purchased this RAV4 new in 1999 and although I had problems with a 1995 Toyota Tacoma, I have been extremely happy with this car. I delivered mail out of it, use it for family and now put my walker in the back. It's never let me down in the 14 years I've had it. Never a breakdown and completely reliable."

I LOVE my Rav!

By on Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Oh, my gosh, where do I start...I LOVE my Rav!! I got it with 119K and it now has 164K and still going strong! Regular maintenance, brakes, tires, previous owner put a new timing belt on at 94K. Nothing major. I would recommend this car in a heartbeat. In fact, my husband and I can't wait to get rid of our Pontiac Montana (when carpooling ends in June) and trade it in for another Rav. The Pontiac has been nothing but expensive trouble and the Rav has been nothing but dependable. I love that it gets into small parking spaces so easily and I love that I get 30 mpg with a mix of city and hwy. driving! I'm sad that they made it bigger, I like this smaller version. One last thing...I'm older and I don't like climbing in and out of smaller cars like a Corolla. The Rav is the perfect height for someone who just wants to get in their car without twisting a hip or knee out of joint."

Perhaps the best

By on Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"Never owned an Asian vehicle and boy, have I missed out. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned period. Yes, I bought it used and it was maintained somewhat, but wow! With 126000 miles when bought and now 140000 and doesn't leak anything at all. Doesn't burn or use oil or smoke. It is flawless in every way. A bit small even with four doors, but superior handling and driving. The reliability can not be matched and I have driven imports and domestic vehicles of all sorts. I bought it cheap and to just check out and simply feel in love with it in everyway. I can't find anything wrong with it at all. The proof is in the pudding for sure. I can't imagine what one of these things would be like brand new. In fact, the girl who sold it to me actually bought a new one and same color and I see why. It is over built like the Lexus. I'm sold and will drive this one for a very long time and will purchase a Toyota next time, no doubt about it."

I can't wear it out!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"I'm the second owner of my 1997 Rav4 and at 218,000+ miles I keep hoping it will conk out on me so I can justify buying something new, but it just keeps on ticking! I have put nearly 100,000 miles on the car since purchasing it and have not had to do ANY repairs on it! It gets regular oil and fluid changes, checkups, etc., but that's it! I do admit that finally . . . about 5 or 6 thousand miles ago, a very small oil leak became apparent on my garage floor and it is burning a bit of oil now, but what the heck, look at the mileage on it! No compression loss at all so I'm tooling merrily along. We also have a 2000 Mitsubishi montero and with the seats folded down, there's more cargo area in the mighty Rav than in the Montero. I also love the AWD option - hands down better than any 4WD vechicle I've owned, and living in the boondocks, I've owned many. It handles EXCEPTIONALLY well in the snow and inclement weather. In 1997 it wasn't built to be a luxury car, so yes, there's some road noise and the seats aren't exactly Lexus type, but I've driven it all day before and the driver's seat remains more than adequately comfortable. It still idles perfectly - I was getting a smog check recently and the technician asked me to turn on the engine - I told him it was already running and he couldn't believe it. The cruise control works great - it doesn't slow down or speed up slightly, like some CC options. I did replace the stereo and front speakers a few years ago with some good equipment, but given the rig's road noise, I wouldn't put a lot of money into high end speakers. Oh yeah - the one thing that's always been "wrong" with it is when I put the fan all the way to defrost, for some reason the A/C light kicks on, but it doesn't affect the functionality. For a 10 year old car, I'm not gonna worry about that. For me, it's just been a great value, and a very dependable rig, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat, if they weren't so dang expensive now!"

My RAV4

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"My 99' RAV4 is a vehicle that I'll continue to rave about long after it's gone. It has given me little by way of repairs...a little bit of brake work, a new set of tires and that's all about that. The ac works just as well as it did that day I took delivery. The handling and control are still as agile and the fuel consumption still gives me a good return for my dollars. Mine's a hunter green color, and once again, it still looks as good as it did years back. No rust, a few pings and things here and there but still very decent looking. I am considering adding leather to refresh the interior, that's how much I love this car. My advice is, should you encounter this gem grab it and keep it. Period"

Love this car.

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Great car for price."

"I bought this car used in 2000 with 30,000 miles. 14 years later and driven by all my children still runs great. Never broke down only regular maintenance, very reliable."

Best Car/SUV That I Will Probably Ever Own!!!

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "EVERYTHING"

"I remember the day I bought the car, I knew I would have Good Luck with it. It has gotten me through some tough rides home in the snow. I commute 30 min away from my job. I have been through torn up roads, camping, vacations, everything!!! Right now, it is out of commission, timing belt. Called Toyota, no problem, will be fixed tomorrow at a decent cost. I have to take care of that car, as it has gotten me through rough times and it still looks great. By the way timing belt, it went 270,000 miles and this is the only major repair to this car EVER!!!!!"

This car is excellent

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Cons: "none."

"I have had this car for 14 years. It has never broken down, gas milage is good. The body does not have any rust. It handles well and can move out when needed. Not always the case with a small car. Itake it to the garage for regular maintance. It also rides well and the interior is in great shape. All in all a great car."

Reliable, safe and dependable transportation

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"I bought this auto at 52,600 miles and it remains a very reliable, safe and dependable transportation. I have used just two front seats last two years as I travel about the country. The roadability is stable and secure."

Most economical, useful vehicle we've ever owned

By on Sunday, April 12, 2009

"We bought our RAV4 new in 1999. Our is an AWD model. Ten years later is has 200,000 miles and is still going strong. It uses NO oil between changes. I replaced the tires yesterday because the tread was looking a little thin (but still perfectly even) and some small cracks were showing in the sidewalls, and when I checked my records I found I had gotten 107,000 miles on this set of tires - a tribute both to the quality of the RAV4 and the tires (Yokohama Geolander H/T-S which are perfect for this car). I drive this car 100 miles a day 5 days a week to commute and it is never in the shop. It gets a consistant 27 mpg. The AWD works great in the snow. I change the oil every 4,000 miles and have a Toyota dealer perform recommended servcies every 30,000 miles and that is all. Fantastic little car."