1998 Toyota RAV4

Based on 299 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

By Far The Best

By on Saturday, April 30, 2011

"This is the best vehicle I have owned in terms of reliability and value. Approaching 170K on a '98 RAV4 that I purchased used in 2001. Other than replacing the timing belt, spark plugs, muffler and brakes for normal wear and tear there have been no major problems. As long as I keep up with the oil changes and give it a minor tune up 2-3 years it has been great! I've put a LOT more money towards repairs on my other cars, Honda and Infiniti. You won't be let down by Toyota RAV4!!"

LOVE IT!!

By on Sunday, July 25, 2010

"I absolutely love the size of the RAV4. More recent versions are too big. This one is just right! Also, it's dependable and I want to keep it forever! I bought it used and I've had it for over 2 years. It has 188,000 miles and it's going strong. I highly recommend the older versions of the RAV4 like this one."

RavReview

By on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

"Bought my Rav4 brand new in 1996 and I still love it. I have never had one single issue with this car. I have had a flat tire and a dead battery nothing else has ever failed on this car. Very reliable. Don't expect much power going up hills but slow and steady wins the race....."

Great SUV

By on Saturday, May 09, 2009

"1999 Overall Wonderful vehicle except ... back seat too little leg room. 25+mpg avg, no costly repairs in 180K miles, 10 years! Only needed tires and brakes."

heres to the next 170k

By on Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Got my '98 new with 47 miles on it (guess everyone wanted to test drive it). Will be turning 170k this week. Mechanically I have NEVER had a problem with it. After all these years the old Alpine Silver girl runs beautifully. The body has had a little bodywork due to a hailstorm and a door ding, but the existing shell is probably about 6y/old and looks great still. The drivers seat is really comfy, the passenger seat isn't really though...prob cause the back seat has been rolled up for most of the cars life though."

Great

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"I have a 1998 Rav4 with 115000 miles and still going strong.I bought it in 2001 and it had 32000 miles then. I would recommend this baby to anyone.It has never let me down.It goes in any kind of weather.We live on top of a mountain in Eastern Kentucky and have to have something that will climb and my Rav has never spun a wheel even in the worst conditions you could imagine. I keep going when others are parked at the bottom of the hill and are walking up it."

RAV4ME4EVER!

By on Sunday, February 01, 2009

"I'm the single mom of a severely disabled child, and reliability is a MUST! Not only has my RAV held up for 155K miles with no major service needs, the seat belt fit me (5'2") AND my daughter, and I can load her wheelchair in the back without folding down the rear seats. 4WD has taken me thru snow, ice, sleet, hurricanes, and off-road when necessary. I wish gas mileage were better, but 24MPG hiway is a fair trade-off for the 4WD. I expect 300K mile life from this baby!"

You can't go wrong with this one!

By on Sunday, February 17, 2008

"I bought my Rav4 from my parents, who purchased it back in 2000. In my college years I looked forward to every chance I could get to drive it and just a few years ago they decided they were going to sell it and I just had to have it. This is best car I've ever had and with just 145,000 miles on it, I look forward to the next 145,000."

Love It

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I owe a 1996 Rava4, with a 131,000 mile on it. I have owned it for 9 years. I keep all the service work up to date and it has been well worth it. It is a vehicle you can depend on."

My gem! Wouldn't be selling unless I had to!

By on Monday, August 03, 2015

Pros: "Japan made, great fun, well maintained, RED color!"

Cons: "185K but not hard miles; 1998; don't make this car"

a ball to drive!

"The car was made in Japan; I had to wait one year for it. It is excellent condition for its age and mileage. Would make a great car for a teen in house or second car. Gas mileage about 25 in town and up to 30 on road. Smogged 8/3/15; oil changed 8/3/15; registration current; seats have been covered for its life. I loved this car."

a ball to drive!

Decent car with a few extras

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "great value at this price range"

Cons: "under powered up steep hills"

"I purchased this suv ,new in 1999. I have 148,000 trouble free miles. replacement of the timing belt and water pump has been the only major maintenance that has been done to the vehicle. The Handling of the truck is excellent.The ride is comfortable for such a small truck. The 4 wheel drive(full time) has been excellent in snow/mud and limited off road driving. I have NEVER gotten stuck. My only real gripes are the engine horse power conversion and the gas mileage, but we are talking about a 15 year old vehicle, all in all I give the little suv a 7 out of 10 rating and would purchase the next generation model."

I love my Rav4!

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "No repairs needed!"

Cons: "Turning radius not great."

"I purchased my Rav4 new in 1999 and although I only have 124,000 miles, many of those were hard ones delivering mail. I've been driving since 1964 and this is the most reliable car I've ever owned. She's old with some dings and wear (like me) and I hate the thought of not having her anymore but it may be time for me to update."

Awesome small SUV

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, easy to drive, everything works."

Cons: "lack of horsepower"

"Bought our 2000 Rav 4 in 2002 with 31000 miles. It has performed well beyond our expectations. Never have had a major repair. Chose to replace the timing belt at 86,000 miles. Have changed the fluids regularly. This SUV has been to California and back from North Carolina. Then moved to Texas and then transported to Germany for 3 years and then back to North Carolina. All this due to military moves. Everything works on the car,Cruise control,power locks, windows,mirrors,LED clock etc.. The cloth on the seats still looks great after 13 years.The paint still looks great also except for the regular lousy door dings. The engine is still smooth after 145000 miles. The only negative to be mentioned is the lack of horsepower."

Very reliable and fun car

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "reliable and fun to drive"

Cons: "none really"

"I've had this car for almost 3 years now. Or put in about 80,000 or so miles. No real major problems. The big issues of course with any car is : 1) engine and 2) transmission. Those are the two killers expenses. Glad to say, both run fine. Toyota engines are bulletproof. Knock on wood, no tranmission problems. Then again, not knwoing the history and the high mileage - I smartly avoid changing the transmission fluid (you can produce leaks and ruin the tranny!) Some a/c work I had to do, replace thermostat and a coupel other small things - but nothing major. Car runs beautiful and so much fun to drive!"

I'm 65 and owned many cars, but the 2000 rav4 is

By on Monday, August 27, 2012

Pros: "great in snow, reliable, low maint. handles great"

Cons: "not much pull out power"

"the best care I've owned."

Rare, Amazing

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Compact, affordable, reliable, AWD, 5spd"

Cons: "Road noise, seat cloth color, poor rear bumper"

"This is a remarkable car...I've owned it for almost a year now without any troubles. It's extremely useful and deceiving with its cargo space. I've parked this car in the tightest of spaces. I've driven effortlessly thru snow. I've popped the tops (has dual sunroofs) and gone for a cruise to the beach. I've driven comfortably for hours in traffic and my clutch foot never getting tired. It gets decent gas mileage for the city (20-23mpg)and with its large fuel tank, you don't have to fill up frequently. It has excellent forward visibility. Brakes feel good and stop the car extremely well."

Extremely reliable.

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Extreme reliability."

Cons: "The remote lock/unlock gadget broke after 2 years."

"I purchased my RAV4 in 1999 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. And I've owned many in the 45 years I've been driving. I also delivered mail for 9 years out of it and still had no problems. I had to take it into the shop in January of 2012 for some electrical problems. The clock went out but replacement fuses fixed my problems except for the clock."

Toyotas rock, but this mini suv is by far the best

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "perfect chick suv"

Cons: "that muffler issue noise thing"

"Everything about my RAV 4 makes me happy. I drove this car to the ground.165k miles, its not as smooth and sleek as it use to be but Im a rough driver and its still rocking. I bought a new car 2 months ago and I wish I could take it back. Im parking the new car for winter so I can keep blazing through snow with my RAv. It realy hasn't been too expensive to fix because I maintained it along the way. I bought the car for 15k @4 years old and 50k miles on it. Ive but the rest of the miles on it and loved every second. My 1 and only complaint is that the muffler sounds weird. I just put a new one on and it makes the same buzzing noise. I dont get it. I feel like a dork driving through my neighborhood, but then again this is the best bang I could have asked for in a car. soo all in all, i love it!!!and I wish i would have just spent the extra 5k to get another 1. Sooooo would have been worth it. my goal is to push 200k in my baby.wish me and my RAV luck."

Great car to own

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable, fun to drive and good mileage."

Cons: "No CD player, unlucky to have the leaky seals."

"I bought this car brand new and rarely had any major problem in the past 13yrs. It is stylish, and is roomy enough to fit 4 adults. Trunk is reasonably good size, and an optional truck cover is easy to install. Only concern is the low-quality seals that Toyota used in the engine that began to leak at about 110,000 miles, which led to lots of blue smog in the morning when I started my car. I ended up taking my car to an engine shop to replace the seals that costed me over $1000. Yet I still believe it's worth the money : For now I added another 70,000 miles and the engine and transmission still runs great ! My friend also owns a RAV4, but has no engine problem after 135000 miles. Other than the seals I found nothing else from my RAV4 that needs major repair. I am looking forwards to the 200,000 milestone."

My favorite car of all times

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

"We bought this car new and absolutely love it. It has always been extremely reliable and still runs like a charm. We were so pleased we bought another RAV4, but a 2004. Not as great as our '98."

Best car I ever owned, over 200k miles

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"This car has blown away any other car I've ever owned. I got it at 122,000 miles and hardly had any problems with it and it now has 202,000 miles on it. I had to replace the clutch and the tires and some belts. The car has great visibility also and I feel high enough on the road that I can see what is going on yet it drives like a car. It's responsive and I always feel in control of it, not like some cars where you get in and feel like you can't see too well and it handles sluggishly. I drive all the time and love this car."

Very realiable and value

By on Monday, August 16, 2010

"Bought the '99 model new in 98. Have over 108K miles and still looks and runs great. I have leather interior which makes it look really good. One prob: At 42K miles my transmission blew out on a longdrive trip. It was covered under warranty (until 50K miles) and was taken care of immediately by local dealership. All associated costs borne by Toyota (hotel, food, replacement car etc). The dealership was surprised at the tranny failure. Other than that awesome! My original tires lasted 62K miles. Always did regular suggested maintenance. Along with this vehicle, I also had a BMW, a Jeep Grand Cherokee (lot of problems, leaks, ac, heat, electricals etc). Don't have either of them anymore. This little guy outlasted all of them due its value and reliability. A little noisy on highways due to the way it is designed. Also, type of tires matter. Highly recommend the vehicle if you can get your hands on one!"

Best car I ever owned

By on Friday, August 06, 2010

"Bought my 99 RAV new and after 10 years and NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS I still love driving this small SUV for its visability (I'm 5'2"). Holds lots of stuff, back seats can be lowered; it's been extremely reiable, never had a break down and it manuevers well in traffic. Had a sun roof cut in it when new, which adds to the enjoyment. Toyota made a good product with the RAV and I intend to keep driving it for a many more years. Mileage now is 85k. Easy to get in and out of, esp. for elderly."

My Baby

By on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"This model has been my only car since 1997. It is great. I'll drive it until it drops, or I drop first. It only has 87000 miles on it. It may be small, but I am too, so we match."

Best workhorse

By on Friday, April 02, 2010

"I bought this 1997 2WD 4Dr RAV4 in Dec 1996. Paid $15888 before tax. Car has 168000 miles, and still going strong. Very useful in many ways too numerous to list. Also fun to drive. I like the stick shift. Followed manufacturer service recommendation faithfully. Changed oil every 3K miles, etc. Never had any major repair work on the car. Engine run great. Never abused the car as well. Great value."