1997 Toyota RAV4

Based on 299 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Has been maintained by a Toyota specialist.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Les Schwabb tires and NEW Brakes by L.S."

Cons: "Driver side only sun visor. Worked for us."

"Driven about 7,500 miles per year since we purchased the vehicle in 2007 from the original buyer. The Rav 4 is a reliable all wheel drive car that has NEW FRONT Brakes, a moon roof, electric windows and mirrors and has a tow package which was rarely used but, is handy if it is needed. It has a versatile roof rack, and spare tire holder mounted on the rear day, providing more storage in the back cargo area. Seats 4 comfortably and seat belts 5 passengers if the one in the middle is smaller. (smile) Our son took a teaching job in another country and won't be home for a few years, so we are selling it with the hopes that it will meet the needs of another driver who will appreciate the TLC it has been given over the years. The cloth seats, floor mats front, back, and rear compartment are in great shape and the radio, heater, AC all work great."

Best car I ever owned!

By on Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, good gas mileage, very reliable."

Cons: "Expensive parts"

"I have had my Rav4 since 2001. I LOVE this car! It has never, ever broken down and left me sit anywhere! Sure, it has had some problems, like we had to replace the catalytic converter and other various parts that have worn out. The car is, after all, over 15 years old. That being said, however, I think it was the best $20,000 I ever spent. Being 15 years old, it still drives like a dream. I do 75 and 80 miles an hour on the highway and the steering wheel is steady as a rock. No vibrations or shimmying whatsoever. The only bad part is that parts for this model can be a little expensive and the heat shields under the front end tend to rust out a little so that there is a rattle when I first start it up sometimes but other than that, it's a great car. Also, the wheels are a little beat up and it has some dents and dings but I don't plan on selling it so that doesn't matter too much. It has over 215K miles and it still runs great."

Excelllent Gas Mileage

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

"I currently fill up with $40. and it last me 2 weeks or more. But I work less than 3 miles from home. I bought this car from a private owner last year. There is an anoying rattle that I can not find out where it comes from. Usually when I press on the brakes. I currently had the timing belt and valve cover changed. $$$. I bought with the inspection expired, but I thought it was nothing. Thank God for Air Check Texas. To pass emission the bill was $400. plus. Timing belt was close to $500. So I already have $1000 in it that I could not really afford. Comfort is not a strong point. I feel every bump and pot hole, and that is going 30 mph or less. Very bouncy vehicle. But, all around a decent vehicle once I get the oil pump leak fixed, and fix the rattling prob."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, spacious, good price"

Cons: "small cup holders, trunk door opens horizontally"

"I have owned this car since it was made in 1998. Couldn't have been a better purchase! It's considered a small SUV, but there is a huge trunk and is spacious for passengers. I would encourage any one to buy a Rav4!"

Reliablity and Practical

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"The RAV4, I believe is a very reliable and practical mini SUV. My sister owns one 1999 92,000 miles and never even changes her oil (like every 20,000 miles) with no service problems...no joke..and I just bought one 1999 95,000. The Toyota reliability speaks for itself...Period! They really don't have a lot of horse power but last I checked you can't go over 75MPH legally anywhere in the US and it is sufficient for 50/50 city/hwy driving. I have owned Nissan Pathfinder(good vehicle but only 12 to 14 mpg in the city...still loved mine), GM(EVERY ONE THEY HAVE IS ABSOLUTE JUNK!!!) and Ford Explorer(not nearly as bad as the GM JUNKERS but still not very reliable over a lifetime) and while I loved my Pathfinder the gas mileage savings I am getting in my Rav4 (24/mpg city) is really quite something to take into consideration in over all cost and practicality these days. The interior is quite a bit smaller than I had expected but 4WD and it being a 4 cylinder with Toyota reliability is hard to beat. I am a research fanatic and when its all laid out a RAV4 is a very good buy and I would suggest them to anyone!"