1997 Toyota RAV4

Based on 299 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Great little workhorse!

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "It needed a little more leg room, front and back."

Cons: "Not good for tight turns."

"I purchased this RAV4 new in 1999 and although I had problems with a 1995 Toyota Tacoma, I have been extremely happy with this car. I delivered mail out of it, use it for family and now put my walker in the back. It's never let me down in the 14 years I've had it. Never a breakdown and completely reliable."

Reliable, safe and dependable transportation

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"I bought this auto at 52,600 miles and it remains a very reliable, safe and dependable transportation. I have used just two front seats last two years as I travel about the country. The roadability is stable and secure."

Most economical, useful vehicle we've ever owned

By on Sunday, April 12, 2009

"We bought our RAV4 new in 1999. Our is an AWD model. Ten years later is has 200,000 miles and is still going strong. It uses NO oil between changes. I replaced the tires yesterday because the tread was looking a little thin (but still perfectly even) and some small cracks were showing in the sidewalls, and when I checked my records I found I had gotten 107,000 miles on this set of tires - a tribute both to the quality of the RAV4 and the tires (Yokohama Geolander H/T-S which are perfect for this car). I drive this car 100 miles a day 5 days a week to commute and it is never in the shop. It gets a consistant 27 mpg. The AWD works great in the snow. I change the oil every 4,000 miles and have a Toyota dealer perform recommended servcies every 30,000 miles and that is all. Fantastic little car."

This car is excellent

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Cons: "none."

"I have had this car for 14 years. It has never broken down, gas milage is good. The body does not have any rust. It handles well and can move out when needed. Not always the case with a small car. Itake it to the garage for regular maintance. It also rides well and the interior is in great shape. All in all a great car."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Great value, very reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Needs extra cup holder, better cassette player"

"I own the 1996 version of this car. I it, by far, the most reliable car I have ever driven. I commute to school and work, about 60-80 miles each day. It's never broken down on me and is getting near the 200k mile mark. I've only owned it for 60k miles, but I've fallen in love over that period of time. Aside from routine maintenance like oil changes, tune-ups, and replacing the timing belt/ water pump, she's had zero mechanical issues and cosmetically, she is in pristine condition. My only complaints are the my stock cassette player (which is really fussy, but I refuse to waste money on a CD player) and sometimes it does not accelerate as fast as I'd like (but then again, I drive like an old lady and never 'floor it'). It's cozy but roomy, good for going on road trips and camping, it fits my GIANT dog very comfortably, there are very little blind spots, and I feel very safe in it (even in the winter). My last car was a Camry which was also great and convinced me to search for another Toyota (I slipped on black ice a few winters ago and that Camry saved my life). I would highly recommend this car to anyone."