• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1997 Toyota RAV4

Based on 281 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Best Car Ever

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Dependability, durability, appearance, performance"

Cons: "Replaced water pump twice."

"I've put a little money in it but after 16 years it still looks great, no body rust ever, repairs have been only wear and tear items. Goes anywhere in snow and ice. Interior as good as day I bought it except normal wear on carpets. Still 22 23 mpg as when new. 192000 miles and will definitely make it to a quarter million. Still get compliments from strangers and those who know the car still make me offers to buy it."

Has been maintained by a Toyota specialist.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Les Schwabb tires and NEW Brakes by L.S."

Cons: "Driver side only sun visor. Worked for us."

"Driven about 7,500 miles per year since we purchased the vehicle in 2007 from the original buyer. The Rav 4 is a reliable all wheel drive car that has NEW FRONT Brakes, a moon roof, electric windows and mirrors and has a tow package which was rarely used but, is handy if it is needed. It has a versatile roof rack, and spare tire holder mounted on the rear day, providing more storage in the back cargo area. Seats 4 comfortably and seat belts 5 passengers if the one in the middle is smaller. (smile) Our son took a teaching job in another country and won't be home for a few years, so we are selling it with the hopes that it will meet the needs of another driver who will appreciate the TLC it has been given over the years. The cloth seats, floor mats front, back, and rear compartment are in great shape and the radio, heater, AC all work great."

The best

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cute,"

"I hate to sell this vehicle. It has been totally great. I replaced the cruise control, got new shocks, But nothing major. I hope I am this lucky with my next car."

Awesome car

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "Great size vehicle for city/burb living"

Cons: "No knee room in backseat"

"I bought my Rav brand new in 1998 & have enjoyed it completely. It runs great and fun to drive. It handles very well on both highway and city driving. I have only taken short road trips (<300 miles). I've mostly used it for day to day purposes and living in Chicago, it's gotten its fair share of city living use. I has also performed great in the winter with heavy snow. The front seats are comfortable for most people. I'm 5'10" so I have never had an issue with knee room. However, the back seats don't have the greatest knee room unless the front seats are moved forward. It also has plenty of interior room to haul stuff with the backseats folded down. I've used it to move twice and I shop at Sam's Club and sometimes can't believe the amount of stuff I can cram into it. I wouldn't be surprised if I had it for another 5-10 years, but would happily buy another brand new one without hesitation."

Great little SUV!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "rugged, sits high, fun, decent 4X mileage"

Cons: "rough highway ride, low on power"

"I bought this car 10 years ago. It was 7 years old with 30K. It is a second car for the family, mostly in snow in winter and to go to our cabin in summer. The car is a tank. We have only done routine maintenance and expected wear (tires, brakes, new exhaust system at 14 years). It keeps us dry, warm and comfortable, no matter what the road or weather conditions. If I could buy a new one I would, otherwise we will probably just keep this one on the road forever."