1997 Toyota RAV4

Based on 298 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Reliablity and Practical

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"The RAV4, I believe is a very reliable and practical mini SUV. My sister owns one 1999 92,000 miles and never even changes her oil (like every 20,000 miles) with no service problems...no joke..and I just bought one 1999 95,000. The Toyota reliability speaks for itself...Period! They really don't have a lot of horse power but last I checked you can't go over 75MPH legally anywhere in the US and it is sufficient for 50/50 city/hwy driving. I have owned Nissan Pathfinder(good vehicle but only 12 to 14 mpg in the city...still loved mine), GM(EVERY ONE THEY HAVE IS ABSOLUTE JUNK!!!) and Ford Explorer(not nearly as bad as the GM JUNKERS but still not very reliable over a lifetime) and while I loved my Pathfinder the gas mileage savings I am getting in my Rav4 (24/mpg city) is really quite something to take into consideration in over all cost and practicality these days. The interior is quite a bit smaller than I had expected but 4WD and it being a 4 cylinder with Toyota reliability is hard to beat. I am a research fanatic and when its all laid out a RAV4 is a very good buy and I would suggest them to anyone!"

An extremely reliable vehicle.

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"I bought my 1998 Toyota RAV4 in April of 2003 used. It had 48660 miles on it. It now has 117,500 in July of 2007. In the 4 years I have owned it, it has given me NO problems whatsoever. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have since bought a new Toyota RAV4, but kept my 1998. I would highly recommend the RAV4 to anyone, as well as any other Toyota model."

best car I have ever purchased

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "I brought from private party and got a good price"

Cons: "No arm rests on front seats"

"My 1998 RAV4 was purchased in 2000 with 18,000 miles; now it has 205,500 with original engine and trans; has only required normal maint. I will buy another RAV4 when this one drops dead; my goal is 300,000 miles. GO GET ONE!"

Has been maintained by a Toyota specialist.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Les Schwabb tires and NEW Brakes by L.S."

Cons: "Driver side only sun visor. Worked for us."

"Driven about 7,500 miles per year since we purchased the vehicle in 2007 from the original buyer. The Rav 4 is a reliable all wheel drive car that has NEW FRONT Brakes, a moon roof, electric windows and mirrors and has a tow package which was rarely used but, is handy if it is needed. It has a versatile roof rack, and spare tire holder mounted on the rear day, providing more storage in the back cargo area. Seats 4 comfortably and seat belts 5 passengers if the one in the middle is smaller. (smile) Our son took a teaching job in another country and won't be home for a few years, so we are selling it with the hopes that it will meet the needs of another driver who will appreciate the TLC it has been given over the years. The cloth seats, floor mats front, back, and rear compartment are in great shape and the radio, heater, AC all work great."

Keeps on going.

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Durability, dependability, no rust, looks great."

Cons: "Only 20 mpg, steep windshield collects bugs."

"Bought this car new. Was on waiting list to get it due to limited inventory. My oldest daughter drove it 4 years to college then my youngest drove it 4 years to college and I've driven it the past 8 years. Very few repairs other than wear and tear and aging. It's a runner. Even now people make comments thinking it's much newer than 1998. Never any rust on the paint. Will get you anywhere in snow and ice. Trading it in would be foolish. It's worth ten times it's book value to me and I'm confident it will go tens of thousands of more miles. For me it's one of those once in a lifetime vehicles."