• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1996 Toyota RAV4

Based on 282 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Great car, reliable, I would buy it again.

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Great little SUV. Reliable. Fun."

Cons: "Paint starts wearing out after 15 years."

"This is a great car. I bought it in 2002 with 78000 miles and have put about the same amount of miles on it in the 12 years since. I have maintained it religiously - it has only needed one repair, an oxygen sensor, for $100. Better than any car I've ever owned. The paint job is wearing out at 17 years but other than that, this little SUV should go another 150,000 miles. It is peppy - goes up hills at 70 mph, and I never go over 3000 on the tachometer. Plenty of room for two though I've carried four adults besides me in it just fine. The only other problem is that in Northern CA people steel the spare tire and wheel - even though I had locking lug nuts. Not the car's fault though, and if I had garage space that wouldn't have happened. Bottom line: great car. It has a Celica chassis, drives like a sport car, After 2006 Toyota changed the engine and chassis and went to a truck chassis - whole different ball game. I'm a short woman and someone told me that "women like Rav4s" - it may be true. With mirrors and the good visibility through all windows from driver's position, there are no blind spots. Highly recommended."

best car ever

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "what are you talking about!"

"I love this car great for every occasion. Never let me down.Thank you Rav4."

Fantastic

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

"This vehicle is champ. It has held up mechanically aside from normal wear and tear thats typical of any vehicle. The 4wd still works, minor transmision issues (hard to shift 4th gear, but not impossible) but still original trans. the gas mileage has held up and has a minor oil leak (valve cover gaskets, easily replaced). Im stating all of this just to say that the vehicle is extremely reliable and safe thus far. I recommend any used car buyer to this car, as long as previous owner has held up maintenance."

love my rave

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "gets me where I need to go, comfortable, reliable"

Cons: "needs a bit more power, but love it anyway"

"I have had my rave4 for about 3 years, it is the best little car I have ever owned, had a few minor things done to it, but it is always dependable, when I got it, it had 94000 miles on it, I don't do much traveling but when I do its maybe about 30 to 60 miles with no problems. would love to update to a newer date , maybe a 2005."

A great vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Still gets 27mpg, use to be 30, Mo. went to corn."

Cons: "6 speed MANUAL, HAND crank windown :)"

"Original Owner and this vehicle came off the car show floor. Replaced all belts when 10 years old, changed oil/filter every 5000. First Rav-4 in Missouri and has it been a fantastic vehicle. After 18 1/2 years decided time for something new. Probably a big mistake. Last month finally had to replace something, the starter. Other than that, all original on this car except battery, tires. Guess that is all I ever replaced. Keeps going and going. Been one heck of a fantastic vehicle and still it great shape. No rust, seats/interior still fantastic shape!"