• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,947 - $22,856.

10/8.0

Based on 316 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Great car! ...but not for everyone.

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "mileage, reliability, smooth, lots of room"

Cons: ""cheap" interior and the seats"

"Purchased my 2011 Prius II brand new. I spent over a year researching, reading reviews, and pestering the sales men with test drives in cars such as the Jetta TDI, CR-Z, Civic hybrid, and Accord. My main criteria, in order, were: gas milage, reliability and quality, roominess, and visibility. Over the last 40,000 miles my Prius has proved itself time and time again and I'm thrilled with it! Smooth ride, quiet (love sneaking up on people in electric mode), excellent brakes that have saved me from an accident several times, and no maintenance except oil changes every 5k miles. My gas milage in eco mode during winter months is about 47-50mpg. Summer brings milage around 55-64mpg. My commute is mostly back roads and some highway. I am not a lead foot and don't mind taking a few extra minutes to get somewhere. That being said, the Prius does have get up and go when switched to power mode and you step on the gas! I was surprised to learn that the Prius 0-60 acceleration was only about a second behind the Jetta TDI! We've made several long distance trips, cruise control set at 72mph usually results in about 52mpg. The lowest I've gotten was over 900 miles going 85-90mph, we averaged about 40mpg. That's great when you think about it, but I was horrified! ;) I've never had any electric or engine troubles. Everything is holding together well, even though we live up a 1/2 mile gravel driveway that gets pretty rough. There is a slight rattle coming from the little shelf thing in the center console, but that can be easily fixed with a small piece of felt. One of my main complaints is the interior plastics which scratch easily. I have the tan interior which doesn't show scratches as much as the grays. The button and knob quality is fine, the issue is with door panels and dash. Another issue is the seat shape. While they're not exactly uncomfortable, a few small changes could make a world of difference. When comparing the Prius to the other cars I mentioned, I found that unless you're paying close to $30k, the interiors aren't going to give the expensive feel. Also, when it comes to visibility, from my experience, most new sedans do not have great visibility. I would definitely recommend a Prius to anyone looking for a reliable and fuel efficient car."

My first Toyota

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "Mileage, App connectivity, Customizability"

Cons: "Seems to get on peoples nerves! Jealosy?!"

"This is my first Toyota ever. a 2013 Persona Prius I am a previous owner of a Jeep 2010. Served me well for 3 years but, you know, 19 MPG isn't exactly good. I bought this car for 1. Mileage, I drive 140 miles twice weekly commute. and believe or not 2. Design, this might sound weird but I used my friends 2012 Prius and liked the inside and outside. I have owned this car for over 1 month and a half and put 5000 miles on it, I feel like I'm ready to give my opinion. 1. Value: one of the highest values in the market, for a car that cost less than 30000, gets 50 miles per gallon (yes it does), has one of the best resale values in the industry, has the renowned Toyota reliability (Google "a Prius hits one million miles") this is outstanding. 2.Driving Dynamics: Call me a geek, but I am enjoying the Hybrid Dynamics in general, and the idea of harnessing energy while breaking (regenerative breaking) in particular. I have no idea why there are still cars being manufactured that do not regenerate all that energy when breaking. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed driving my Jeep as much as the next owner but, I AM enjoying driving my Prius as much. 3. Design, interior and exterior: I like the design inside and out. I actually like it a lot. Granted, I have the 17 inch alloy wheels, Lower door moldings, Illuminated door sims, Leather seats which do make a difference in how the car looks and gives a good feel and impression to the driver. 4. Quality/Reliability: Toyota is renowned for making quality cars. Their reliability is the best in the market. The quality is amazing too. You get standard top safety features, bluetooth connectivity, remote keyless entry, multi information display, top fuel economy. In addition, the Persona I own has more Standard features such as Navigation, Leather, rear backing camera, 17 inch Alloy wheels. 5. Comfort and convenience: This car is very comfortable, I am a fan of the layout of the dashboard and center console. Leather seating also make for more comfort/quality feel. It is one of the most convenient cars too, with the multi information display that gives you A-Z information. I also am enjoying the app connectivity. This is a Smart Car. You get apps and all. It's also future proof. You can Update the apps as they evolve. It also has great back seat and trunk space. Summary, this car is great on so many levels no wonder it's getting this Persona of it's own. Whenever you think Hybrid you think Prius, even though a dozen or more manufacturers are making Hybrids of all kink. But for Toyota to have this car on the road since the 1990's and to hit 5 million in sales recently this is a huge accomplishment and a testimony to this car greatness. Happy new Toyota Owner"

I love this car better every time I get in it.

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Good price, great mileage, really fun to drive."

Cons: "Slow on the take off."

"I have had 4 Lexus cars over the last 17 years and still have the GX470 and the SC430. But every time I go to get into a car, it's the 2012 Prius V 5. I have just over 4300 miles on it and am averaging about 40 MPG. The car is not as comfortable as my Lexus cars but it zips around corners and is pretty darn smooth on the highway, just a tad slow on the take off. It is well equipped, the GPS is great and the stereo is good. If you want a great hybrid vehicle, check out the Prius V, I like it much better than the regular Prius that I test drove, feels heavier, more substantial."

awesome gas mileage very dependable

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "excellent value and incredible gas mileage"

Cons: "sore butt on long trips."

"This car is absolutely fantastic. we drive it everywhere. we have gotten 70 MPG on some trips! we average 54 MPG overall. We have the JBL sound system which is very powerful and crisp and clear. the only drawback to this car is on a long trip my butt gets a little sore."

Nice Car

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Excellent mileage, good on snow and ice"

Cons: "Tailgaters and haters"

"Nice car, drives great year around and reliable. Gets better mileage than claimed. I've gotten as high as 65 mpg in the city and 55 on the highway (in the summer). Fuel formulations are different in the winter and it gets about 10% less mileage then. The only problem I have is that I hate being tailgated and the Prius attracts that kind of thing, even if you are speeding. The car has plenty of power and will go over 100 with ease."

See if you qualify for