• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,898 - $22,831.

10/8.0

Based on 324 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

I LOVE MY 2010 PRIUS III!!!!

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "fuel economy, fun to drive, technology package..."

Cons: "NONE!"

"When I bought the car my expectations were low. I bought it for the fuel economy. While the fuel economy has not disappointed me, the car is so much better than I expected. It is actually pretty zippy when you need it to be. It is extremely comfortable. It is absolutely reliable. I highly recommend the navigation package. I feel very safe in this car since it can always get me home, no matter how lost i get. And it has personality to spare. I owned 2 Audis prior to my Prius and while both the Audi A4 and A6 are amazing cars the balance of economy and creature comforts in the Prius can't be be beat. And I feel like I am being good to the planet. The Prius has performed well in a New England winter too. The gas mileage went down to about 46 mpg in the cold with the snow tires but I felt no appreciable difference in handling on ice from my Audi with AWD. And 46 mpg as opposed to the 18 mpg I got in my A6 was great!"

Great gas mileage with many features

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, lots of features"

Cons: "Entune could be better"

"I have owned a Prius 3 for 8 months and have driven almost 14,000 miles in that time, driving 6,600 in the first 8 weeks. Most of the time I averaged a little over 50 mpg with the following exceptions: on a 3,500 mile round trip from NY to FL I got 45 mpg (a lot of 80-90 mph highway speeds) and have gotten around 45 mpg most of the winter in upstate NY. One of the reasons I bought the Prius when I did was in anticipation of a trip to Florida, so I could take advantage of the fuel savings cost. I must admit that I am still fascinated by the dashboard and enjoy trying to maximize my mileage by paying attention to the gas mileage indicator. The gas mileage is certainly the biggest reason to buy this car. I just figured out this week how to program the starter so that I could unlock the front passenger side door by touching the handle. Besides the gas mileage, my 2nd favorite feature of this car is the keyless start. I love just having to hit the start button instead of using the key. I just wish I could buy a couple extra keys without paying about $300 apiece for them. I do like the solar sunroof, but think I need to check the owner's manual to maximize its efficiency. I will most likely add a remote car starter and possibly electric seats for the cold NY winters I live in. This car is not particularly good in the snow, so I may have to invest in some winter tires for next year. In the meantime, I just drive my SUV when the roads are bad. I do like the backup camera. I was psyched for Entune, but there are a lot of things I don't like about it. I wish that I could use the keypad to type when not in park, but it is disabled as a safety feature. Honestly, sometimes the passenger would find it handy to use while someone else is driving. It can't always find places I am looking for and the map won't automatically change from daytime to nighttime mode. I do like that it tells me when I have a text message and will read them to me. I find the regular beam headlights don't illuminate the road as I would like. I asked the service department to check it out, but they said they were set correctly. I wish I had fog lights to help show the road more. I like the different shifter. I find it hard to get it into Neutral and Brake Assist though."

Great car! ...but not for everyone.

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "mileage, reliability, smooth, lots of room"

Cons: ""cheap" interior and the seats"

"Purchased my 2011 Prius II brand new. I spent over a year researching, reading reviews, and pestering the sales men with test drives in cars such as the Jetta TDI, CR-Z, Civic hybrid, and Accord. My main criteria, in order, were: gas milage, reliability and quality, roominess, and visibility. Over the last 40,000 miles my Prius has proved itself time and time again and I'm thrilled with it! Smooth ride, quiet (love sneaking up on people in electric mode), excellent brakes that have saved me from an accident several times, and no maintenance except oil changes every 5k miles. My gas milage in eco mode during winter months is about 47-50mpg. Summer brings milage around 55-64mpg. My commute is mostly back roads and some highway. I am not a lead foot and don't mind taking a few extra minutes to get somewhere. That being said, the Prius does have get up and go when switched to power mode and you step on the gas! I was surprised to learn that the Prius 0-60 acceleration was only about a second behind the Jetta TDI! We've made several long distance trips, cruise control set at 72mph usually results in about 52mpg. The lowest I've gotten was over 900 miles going 85-90mph, we averaged about 40mpg. That's great when you think about it, but I was horrified! ;) I've never had any electric or engine troubles. Everything is holding together well, even though we live up a 1/2 mile gravel driveway that gets pretty rough. There is a slight rattle coming from the little shelf thing in the center console, but that can be easily fixed with a small piece of felt. One of my main complaints is the interior plastics which scratch easily. I have the tan interior which doesn't show scratches as much as the grays. The button and knob quality is fine, the issue is with door panels and dash. Another issue is the seat shape. While they're not exactly uncomfortable, a few small changes could make a world of difference. When comparing the Prius to the other cars I mentioned, I found that unless you're paying close to $30k, the interiors aren't going to give the expensive feel. Also, when it comes to visibility, from my experience, most new sedans do not have great visibility. I would definitely recommend a Prius to anyone looking for a reliable and fuel efficient car."

awesome gas mileage very dependable

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "excellent value and incredible gas mileage"

Cons: "sore butt on long trips."

"This car is absolutely fantastic. we drive it everywhere. we have gotten 70 MPG on some trips! we average 54 MPG overall. We have the JBL sound system which is very powerful and crisp and clear. the only drawback to this car is on a long trip my butt gets a little sore."

My first Toyota

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "Mileage, App connectivity, Customizability"

Cons: "Seems to get on peoples nerves! Jealosy?!"

"This is my first Toyota ever. a 2013 Persona Prius I am a previous owner of a Jeep 2010. Served me well for 3 years but, you know, 19 MPG isn't exactly good. I bought this car for 1. Mileage, I drive 140 miles twice weekly commute. and believe or not 2. Design, this might sound weird but I used my friends 2012 Prius and liked the inside and outside. I have owned this car for over 1 month and a half and put 5000 miles on it, I feel like I'm ready to give my opinion. 1. Value: one of the highest values in the market, for a car that cost less than 30000, gets 50 miles per gallon (yes it does), has one of the best resale values in the industry, has the renowned Toyota reliability (Google "a Prius hits one million miles") this is outstanding. 2.Driving Dynamics: Call me a geek, but I am enjoying the Hybrid Dynamics in general, and the idea of harnessing energy while breaking (regenerative breaking) in particular. I have no idea why there are still cars being manufactured that do not regenerate all that energy when breaking. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed driving my Jeep as much as the next owner but, I AM enjoying driving my Prius as much. 3. Design, interior and exterior: I like the design inside and out. I actually like it a lot. Granted, I have the 17 inch alloy wheels, Lower door moldings, Illuminated door sims, Leather seats which do make a difference in how the car looks and gives a good feel and impression to the driver. 4. Quality/Reliability: Toyota is renowned for making quality cars. Their reliability is the best in the market. The quality is amazing too. You get standard top safety features, bluetooth connectivity, remote keyless entry, multi information display, top fuel economy. In addition, the Persona I own has more Standard features such as Navigation, Leather, rear backing camera, 17 inch Alloy wheels. 5. Comfort and convenience: This car is very comfortable, I am a fan of the layout of the dashboard and center console. Leather seating also make for more comfort/quality feel. It is one of the most convenient cars too, with the multi information display that gives you A-Z information. I also am enjoying the app connectivity. This is a Smart Car. You get apps and all. It's also future proof. You can Update the apps as they evolve. It also has great back seat and trunk space. Summary, this car is great on so many levels no wonder it's getting this Persona of it's own. Whenever you think Hybrid you think Prius, even though a dozen or more manufacturers are making Hybrids of all kink. But for Toyota to have this car on the road since the 1990's and to hit 5 million in sales recently this is a huge accomplishment and a testimony to this car greatness. Happy new Toyota Owner"