• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $26,074 - $27,057.

10/8.0

Based on 299 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

My favorite car in 40+ years of driving.

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "In the review - mileage, affordability, comfort."

Cons: "Not much."

"The car is comfortable and quiet, and of course gets great gas mileage. I took a 7500 mile road trip last summer and never tired of driving it. It seats 5 comfortably. When I first got it, I had some troubling handling it in one area of long hills, but only because I was leaving it in Eco mode. That terrain required the power mode. Eco is best reserved for stop-and-go traffic. Funny what you learn when you read the manual! There's not much mileage difference between normal, power, and Eco modes. For conveniences, the keyless entry is nice, and when it senses you the cabin smoothly brings the lighting up to a welcoming glow. The console has minijack and charging ports. We use the first for iPod and smartphones. We usually keep a dual USB 2 in the second. We have a mid-level accessory package. The dash displays give us a lot of information without being cluttered or requiring much attention away from the road, including great mileage-as-we-go information, tire inflation warning, and a transient display that appears when using radio and cabin temperature controls on the steering wheel. The a/c and heating are controlled by simply setting the temperature, though you can override. It can't hold quite the amount as our PT Cruiser. Though the Prius is a midsize, the Cruiser has longer interior space. The Prius is not intended for lots of cargo - it's not an SUV - and we were able to have plenty for our long road trip with 3 people in the car. There's a hidden compartment in back that is very useful for shorter items. It matches the rear area in length and width. Increasing cargo would mean less battery, less passenger room, and/or a longer car. I wouldn't want those compromises. Safety features are considerable, including skid control, side airbags, and a sensor that only turns on the passenger airbag when an adult is in the seat; no need to turn off the airbag if a child is sitting there. In hindsight (get it?) I would have liked the rear camera; but I bought the car used. When I lived in a foggier area, fog lights would have been nice. They're available, and I would have added them if we hadn't been moving. When looking for a car, my criterion was affordability, with a weighted preference for mileage. I used an an algorithm on a spreadsheet (shut up! Geek can be a good thing). Considering cost (I was looking at 2-year-old used cars), resale, insurance, reliability, mileage, battery life and cost, etc., this won hands down. About the battery: So far 1 in 40,000 second generation Prii (really, that's the plural) have needed a replacement battery, at a dealer cost of $2588. Prii have gone 300,000 to 400,000 miles on the first battery. My battery came with a 150,000 mile warranty. About the brake life: Braking takes energy from the momentum of a car, producing heat and wearing out the bake components. In a Prius most of that energy charges the battery instead. This extends brake life by tens of thousands of miles. Lots of tens. I said it's my favorite car. Second favorite was a '65 Mustang ragtop - very different cars. If I had the means to buy any new car for daily use and extended travel, it would still be a Prius."

Love it. Wife bought one 10 months later.

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

"It had some interior vibrations and rattles that I fixed after checking on the internet for the fix. It seems to be a common problem. The car is very roomy in the rear and the front. My friend who is 285 lbs. and 6 ft. 2 inches fits in it nicely. He can't fit into his sister-in-laws full size Volvo."

Have been in love with this car!

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Radar Cruse Control, Auto Parking, Toyota quality"

Cons: "Seems to always be in the way of other traffic."

"Just the fact alone I don't have to go to the gas station all the time is great! Actually I love my Toyota. Although I was in my late forties, I bought the car, Prius! Boy am I glad I did. Have only had one instance of complete failure. Friday bight I unloaded the trunk, backed into the garage. When I went to the car Monday morning, IT WAS DEAD .... The Hybrid battery was fine. Fully charged. There is a small 12volt Battery in the trunk to start the computer. What did I do, Backed in garage Friday night. No power to even open trunk, as it is also electric. Could not pull car out , as garage is at a 90 degrees from driveway. Called Toyota Care, they were able to get me up in running in no time."

Bad driver seat and can't handle wind gusts

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Go gas mileage and reliablle"

Cons: "Expensive car, wayyyyyyyyy expensive"

"oh my bum! I drive 100 miles a day and the 2010 has a bad driver seat for backs and bums. I have rented the 2011. 2012 and 2013. So I know what I am talking about. As for driving in the wind - the higher the wind the lower you drive"

Bad driver seat and can't handle wind gusts

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Go gas mileage and reliablle"

Cons: "Expensive car, wayyyyyyyyy expensive"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25