• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2011 Toyota Prius

Based on 357 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

not worth the additional cost

By on Friday, February 20, 2015

Pros: "Status for a tree hugger"

Cons: "Expense, no real over all environmental benefit"

"In the NE, especially winter on short trips, gas milage is not half of what is advertised. The main reason I bought it.I was told after sale, 10,000 logged on miles is required , before the actual MPG can be achieved . It is terrible in snow, and unlike most other cars slip reduction can not be over ridden, which hinders its ability to power out if stuck in snow . The EV mode is a gimic, and like the kings new clothes, only impresses those who are mesmerized by its reputation! The radar cruise controls only slows the car, and does not stop it, as alluded to in its advertised safety abilities! Lane keeper is a joke, without anf truly functional abilities, more annoying that a safety feature! Over all I would not recommed the car! But it is a status symbol impressing those of us that think such gimmicky machinery makes a difference!"

Great millage, speed, and dependibility

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pros: "millage and reliability"

Cons: "no place to mount a cell phone, and extra usb port"

"Best car I have owned. Sporty look grows on you, with excellent paint. Will outrun most vehicles up hill with out using power boost. Only problems noted is the visibility when turning left due the pavement being blocked by the mirror assembly. At night the front light beams are not wide enough when making turns, but brightness is not a problem. Oh.. one other problem. The manual is useless for programing the usb port to up load music files. Even the dealer did not know what program format was required. I finally got it to work, but not everyone is an engineer."

always plaisantly surprising to own.

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

Pros: "unbeatable on gas, good looking & dependable."

"I am always pleased of the mileage/gas. one time I had swerve instantly not to hit a dog on the road well the car behaved real well to my surprise. I hated the looks of the car when I first bought it (50miles/gallon good...) but now I love it."

Exceptional gas mileage, very clean inside & out

By on Sunday, February 01, 2015

Pros: "Gas mileage, smooth driving, acceleration"

Cons: "Low visibility"

"Hwy mileage in this car is well over EPA number, local is close to EPA number. Only inperfection I feel is its low visibility."

Wonderful value

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pros: "Economical, good value, nice stereo"

Cons: "No power, not for those who like to drive"

"It's not really that fun to drive but it gets me and my family from point A to B safely and economically. And Prii are a far better value than any of the other hybrids right now. You may pay $5000 extra for the hybrid version of an Altima, Camry or Sonata, but they will not deliver the gas mileage of a Prius. Like I said, it's slow. I didn't realize how bad it was until one day I had a loaner Camry from the dealer and kept marveling at how fast it was. A 4 cylinder Camry was like a sports car compared to the Prius. But it will keep up with traffic and merge onto the freeway at an acceptable speed. Power mode definitely helps for hills (I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills) and for passing. It's not an intuitive car and driver experience but I stopped caring about that years ago, when gas hit $4.50 a gallon. Oh and yes- the gas mileage really is all that. I regularly get 50+ mpg average per tank and I drive like a normal person between 70-75 mph. Right now gas is cheap and I'm spending $20 per tank, with a 475 mile range between fill ups. I have never spent more than $38 to fill up the Prius. The stereo is quite nice. It used to be that a base model stereo was the worst thing ever but no more. I'm an old and I usually listen to podcasts but if I want to revisit my youth and blast some Mac Dre, the stereo will accommodate it. I don't have the optional Entune system but it works quite well with my iPhone for Spotify, etc. It's fairly comfortable. I went cheap and my seats aren't very adjustable, but my minimally decrepit body can tolerate longer drives alright. The backseat holds a rear-facing Britax infant carrier in the middle without any trouble for the front seats. It will hold the gear of two adults, a baby and a small dog OK, but it's pretty packed. 2 kids would require a roof rack (and a sacrifice in MPGs) or you'd all have to be verry light packers. If you're thinking of buying, get the level 3. I upgraded from a 1998 Nissan and was so dazzled by the array of standard 21st century options that I thought a base model would be enough. And maybe it is for most cars, but a Prius needs a backup camera and to get it you need to get a 3. I have almost hit a few things, including a small child in the Whole Foods parking lot (classic Prius moment I know). The camera should be standard on all models because the rear window is so short, it really is a safety hazard. I have to go super slow and turn my whole body around to get a decent look, not just my head. When you turn it on, the displays says "Welcome to Prius." Like you're in a new place, Prius."