• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2011 Toyota Prius

Based on 373 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Best mileage vehicle I have owned

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Excellent mileage, stylish, spacious interior"

Cons: "Squeaks and rattles, esp cold weather, dash buzzes"

"Large enough to carry lots of cargo, 5 adults easily, very good mileage, excellent feedback via gauges to help and inform, standard stereo very good, dash lights could be brighter, but are adequate. Comfy seats, driver's seat has adjustable height. Installed a block heater - would like to see them come standard for northern states (USA). Overall, very pleased with the car. 52.7 mpg average to date."

Noisy

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pros: "Can get 50+ mpg on a good day."

Cons: "Loud tire bounce, MPG is lower in the winter"

"Too much road noise from tire bounce. MPG is lower in the winer (40 to 45 MPG). I love technology and this car connects to my cell phone and streams music from my iPod via Bluetooth or USB. The Prius 2 doesn't include a GPS but it has a touch screen radio. With the USB connection that song title and album cover is displayed on the touch screen. The instrument panel displays an icon of the car and shows the flow of electrical current as you drive. The 2012 Prius 2 doesn't include a backup camera but I was able to install an aftermarket camera. The wiring harness was under the headliner and the camera cable was a short distance from the rear hatch. The camera cost me $20 and probably would cost Toyota less than $5, why didn't they just include the camera? On a 300 mile trip from Chicago to Dayton Ohio, it got 53 MPG."

Prius is everything they say it is

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

Pros: "mileage (of course), NAV system, braking, handling"

Cons: "seats, rear view"

"Great car. Own it for 2 years and 30000 miles. Mileage is consistently at 50 mpg and often exceeds that number on long trips. Car actually teaches you how to drive economically. The car is reliable and fun to drive. We bought the 2010 with Nav and the moon roof. Love it! Car is not perfect. Front seats are a bit soft at the edges and the rear view in the hatchback (unlike the new Prius V) is not the best. Low profile often produces scratches when parking along curbs. But these are small potatoes compared to the advantages. Handling is great. Fairly quiet ride. Braking exceptional. Hates the service bay! Buy one."

Low cost,reliable,smooth,++cargo space,versatile

By on Saturday, May 09, 2015

Pros: "Driving range, keyless start, solar technology"

Cons: "Poor ground clearance"

"I LOVE my PRIUS IV! It can seat 5 or with the back seats down using the hatchback, I can pack it to the ceiling like a truck! Beyond the 50 mpg, it drives so smoothly, has all the conveniences of keyless entry, keyless start, bluetooth, & that great solar powered cabin temp control fan for when it's parked in the sun on a hot day-all of which make me feel very spoiled or privileged compared drivers of other more ordinary cars on the road. If those other drivers only knew how cost efficient and high tech 'cozy' my Prius is they'd sure reconsider their plane-jane gas guzzlers!"

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "MPG, comfortable, spacious"

Cons: "Expensive"

"I have the 2010 prius-3 with the moon roof. I have been getting 45mpg on hills! This car has a good amount of space, it's comfortable, reliable, and great to drive. The power button is great for getting onto the freeway and going up hills-just go back to eco once you're on flat road."

Great car if you don't need sports car performance

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "fuel efficiency, spacious, comfortable"

Cons: "hubcaps, GPS, audible back-up alarm"

"My fuel economy (47 mpg) has been a little less than rated (50 mpg), but it is still very, very good. I knew it would not drive like a sports car so I'm not complaining about the performance. It is comfortable and surprisingly spacious. There are a few annoying things though. Should a $27K car have hubcaps?! I don't think so. The GPS system is vastly inferior to the portable Garmin system I was using before. No speed-compensating feature on the sound system. The audible back-up alarm when in reverse makes me think I am driving a 2.5 ton truck. Overall this is a very nice car if you don't need sports car performance. I can't believe how little I am spending on gas these days. I'm saving at least $75 a month on gas alone. Consider that if you are comparing monthly payments."

Mission Accomplished

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Reason: Traded in for another Prius

Pros: "Gas mileage, roomy, great all around sedan"

Cons: "Not fun to drive"

"From any rationale perspective, the Prius is hard to beat. I got excellent gas mileage, the interior is as large as Camry, seats were comfortable, ride was compliant and it was completely trouble-free. Is it a vehicle that is fun to drive? Not really. But I am not sure if there is a better vehicle on the road today for the money."

The best car by far.

By on Friday, April 27, 2012

Pros: "Truly awesome."

Cons: "No cons"

"I just purchased my new Prius 3. It is the best car I have ever owned. It is a pure hybrid that was designed from top to bottom and front to back. It is truly what cars should be. Thank you Toyota."

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "iPod connection location"

"I adore my Prius... there is only one hitch which has been fixed in later models. My iPod connection is in a weird place - the compartment between the two front seats. Other than that - this car is so COOL... it's too cool for school! I love it!"

Better then expected

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Great gas milage, good power, great overall value"

Cons: "None so far"

"I bought the Prius II because of the gas milage more than anything else. I didn't have high expectations other than the gas milage. Was I suprised when I started driving it. The Prius had much more power then I expected. My brother owns the Civic hybrid and the Prius' power blows it out of the water. I have no problems jumping on the highways and going up the Cajon Pass on the way to Las vegas. It also handles well. After 22000 miles, I'm averaging 46 MPG. With gas now over $4.00 and rising, I'm sure glad I have my Prius. I have it for a 3 year lease which expires next year. I will either buy it or I am also looking at the new Prius V. Either way, I will be a prius owner for years to come."

much better than I expected

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "comfort, gas mileage, conveniences"

Cons: "low to the road, so I plow snow when it drifts"

"I leased my Prius with 20K miles a year because I wasnt certain if I'd like it. It's very comfortable on long trips and has a smooth ride and is very quiet. I've been pleasantly surprised!!!"

The Prius is a fantastic value

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, super quiet, very reliable."

Cons: "Not the largest car out there for hauling supplies"

"With gas going up constantly, the Prius is a great car for gas mileage and comfort. While not a large car, the Prius rides well, is super quiet and we are still paying less than $100/month in gas. We've only had minor repair issues (lights, sensor) which were covered under warranty. We love it."

Great car

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Pros: "mileage, comfort, room, visibility"

Cons: "front storage and cup holder placement"

"I LOVE my Prius! It is very responsive in driving, and turns on a dime. Can adjust seat to sit up higher, so you can see when next to, or in back of, smaller SUV's, which I like. Couldn't do that in my old corolla. Fits into parking spaces easily, but seems very roomy inside. I like the hatchback design because it is easy to get groceries in/out. Gas mileage can't be beat, as I trimmed my gas usage in half from my corolla! Spend about $65-$70 per month, while I was topping $130 in the corolla. While it doesn't have a lot of zoom, it has enough to get into traffic, and if you do like to push the gas pedal to the metal, you will pay for it in lower mileage, which you can see at a glance how much you are using. Helps keep my foot lighter on the pedal!"

Best car I ever had.

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Great mpg and spae as a full size car."

Cons: "Terrible GPS; insufficient fr seat storage."

"Insufficient front seat storage compartments. "Big Brother"devices on navigation and bluetooth. Even the front passenger has no access to phone funcions and GPS destinations, POI, etc. Power outlets are shut down when engine is shut down.. The CD provided for the GPS is at least 5 years old and out of date on roads and POI's. They updated this one year after I purchased the car the cost is higher than a new Garmin. Routing is frequently not always the best."

Smart Investment

By on Sunday, February 20, 2011

"After much research and deliberation, and encouraged by Toyota's incentives, we've decided to invest into a new Prius. We got it in August 2010. We got the base (II) model, and its equipment is perfectly adequate and cool. Shuttling kids around translates to an average daily commute of 65 or so miles for us. Since purchase, average fuel economy has been 51 MPG. On cold days, it's lower. On warm days, 57 MPG easily. One does not purchase a hybrid to save money, as similarly equipped Corolla or Mazda 3 would be thousands less. However, savings in gas are most welcome. Performance is adequate, and actually quite good in the POWER mode. It is very entertaining to drive it in EV mode, and still manage to keep up with urban traffic. ECO mode is annoying, as throttle response is non-perceptible and somwhat unpredictable. The only negative comments are poor FM reception and interior rattles. Toyota service "tightened up the antenna" and replaced a cup holder; neither of these actions really helped much. Overall, we are delighted with the Prius, particularly the gas mileage."

decent with a couple issues

By on Monday, March 02, 2015

"This is first and last Prius. It gets terrific mileage in the non-Winter months (45 mpg plus). It get fair mieage in the Winter (30-35 mpg) due to the engine running a lot to keep the heat warm. Also, have had two issues: one with the hybrid system and one with the engine. The Toyota dealer guesses at the cause and solution - not encouraging. We will be looking at a Honda Civic should these issues persist and for our next vehicle."

This Prius is my second one! It is a fantastic car

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

I don't own this car

"This is the Prius 5 fully loaded package, 65787 miles on it new tires, is in fantastic condition, my buyout amount is 17899. I am only selling outright because i need a car that can fit a wheel chair and stroller in it. Other wise I would refi and keep this fully loaded Prius! If this goes back to the dealer they will sell it for at least 22 or 23k."

Perfect car for me

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "Comfy, economical, great handling, great amenities"

Cons: "Not one con"

"I cannot find a thing I don't like about this car except for the crunchy tires. I couldn't figure out what that crunchy sound was on turns but the dealership finally traced it to the tires which, because of it's forward weight required tires with stiffer side walls. But that's just the tires. This car has been a dream to drive, handles wonderfully, and has all the amenities I like. After a Tacoma and two 4Runners I was pleasantly surprised how much I like this car. Toyota has really got this car dialed in."

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Sometimes it's so ugly it's pretty"

"Driving back and forth to FL. from RI at 50.3 MPG. is unbeatable. Absolutely no mechanical problems whatsoever. However, it's not the prettiest car I've ever owned, nor the most comfortable on a long trip."

I love this car

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive without having to stop for gas."

Cons: "No bottle holder"

"2011 Prius four with plus package with all the extras .This replaced a B M W 540 and it was the Best move I ever made. With all the upgrades it handles great and the mileage is 52 miles per Gallon ."

Great Gas Mileage

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and great MPG"

Cons: "Not comfortable for tall drivers"

"I am tall, so not very comfortable...that said, it runs like a top getting over 50mpg"

Like the improvements over last generation

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive plus gas mileage"

Cons: "steering wheel and backup camera option too high"

"This generation Prius has improved handling, performance, and gas mileage. It holds in a corner, accelerates quicker more, than enough to keep up with freeway traffic and still gets 45 per gallon .... fun spirited driving around town will gets me 40 ... so still acceptable trade-off. Don't like the steering wheel...I miss the old little round one."

Great car - Will likely get another.

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, good fuel economy, navigation system"

Cons: "Cannot fit my entire family in it!"

"I drive a lot of freeway miles and over the past 22,000 miles I have averaged 44.6 mpg. My best tank of gas was 58.3 mpg (drove slow on freeway, 61 mph just to see how much mpg I could get). I would recommend this car to anyone. GET THE BLUETOOTH and solar panel package. SOLAR package keeps car cool in hot California sun (the feature keeps inside of car the same as outside). Navigation system is good and very helpful in areas I don't know."

1st brand new car!

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"THis is my very 1st Brand new car. I am a mother and work part time at night. So i understnad the value of the cost for this vehicle. I only got the car a cple days ago and I am very excited and happy for this car. I have a Prius II and although it does not come with all the bells and whistles like the others I am very happy with the car. I have read of the following reviews and I understnad the frustration with some of the lower ranking owners. I however understand that every machine new or old loses its muster after a little bit of time. You will not have the pickup and go like regular 100% gas vehicles because you have to trian yourself to drive an electric/gas vehicle. Yes it feels like it stutters at first but thats the engine switchin from one source of energy to another. It does not feel cheap to me or my husband. It doesn't have lockin compartments in the car but you really shouldn't leave values of that nature in there to be ungaurded anyhow. I love the dash and the options of lighting and the control. I love driving the car! The rear window is a little confusin but you're not driving backwards majority of the time. It just takes a few days. I'm already used to it. Keep and open mind when it comes to this vehicle. Unless you're tryin to help the environment this car may not be right for you. THe cost you spend for the car may or may not overide the cost in gas you will spend. It all depends on the type of driver you are. I got it to be GREEN! I want to try to help the environment. I highly recomend this car to my family and frinds as we speak. I already have 2 co-workers talkin to my sales rep to figure out if this would be the right desicion for them as well. Take it for a test drive. Crunch some numbers Make the best choice for you and your family... Best Wishes..."

I have owned three, a 1999, 2004 & 2010

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "Very reliable and low maint."

Cons: "Hard for a larger person to ride in it comfortablE"

"I have owned three generation of prius and I have been very pleased with reliability and resale value, I'm getting ready to buy a 2015, maybe, this 2010 was fully load with solar and roof,but it has not retained the value of the additional cost, so maybe. The 1999 I had 142,000 on, 2004 I had 152,000 this one is a 2010 with 70,800 I will say that I don't believe the solar roof was worth all the extra exp, I do like the sunroof all though it is small."