• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2011 Toyota Prius

Based on 348 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Wonderful value

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pros: "Economical, good value, nice stereo"

Cons: "No power, not for those who like to drive"

"It's not really that fun to drive but it gets me and my family from point A to B safely and economically. And Prii are a far better value than any of the other hybrids right now. You may pay $5000 extra for the hybrid version of an Altima, Camry or Sonata, but they will not deliver the gas mileage of a Prius. Like I said, it's slow. I didn't realize how bad it was until one day I had a loaner Camry from the dealer and kept marveling at how fast it was. A 4 cylinder Camry was like a sports car compared to the Prius. But it will keep up with traffic and merge onto the freeway at an acceptable speed. Power mode definitely helps for hills (I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills) and for passing. It's not an intuitive car and driver experience but I stopped caring about that years ago, when gas hit $4.50 a gallon. Oh and yes- the gas mileage really is all that. I regularly get 50+ mpg average per tank and I drive like a normal person between 70-75 mph. Right now gas is cheap and I'm spending $20 per tank, with a 475 mile range between fill ups. I have never spent more than $38 to fill up the Prius. The stereo is quite nice. It used to be that a base model stereo was the worst thing ever but no more. I'm an old and I usually listen to podcasts but if I want to revisit my youth and blast some Mac Dre, the stereo will accommodate it. I don't have the optional Entune system but it works quite well with my iPhone for Spotify, etc. It's fairly comfortable. I went cheap and my seats aren't very adjustable, but my minimally decrepit body can tolerate longer drives alright. The backseat holds a rear-facing Britax infant carrier in the middle without any trouble for the front seats. It will hold the gear of two adults, a baby and a small dog OK, but it's pretty packed. 2 kids would require a roof rack (and a sacrifice in MPGs) or you'd all have to be verry light packers. If you're thinking of buying, get the level 3. I upgraded from a 1998 Nissan and was so dazzled by the array of standard 21st century options that I thought a base model would be enough. And maybe it is for most cars, but a Prius needs a backup camera and to get it you need to get a 3. I have almost hit a few things, including a small child in the Whole Foods parking lot (classic Prius moment I know). The camera should be standard on all models because the rear window is so short, it really is a safety hazard. I have to go super slow and turn my whole body around to get a decent look, not just my head. When you turn it on, the displays says "Welcome to Prius." Like you're in a new place, Prius."

Wonderful car!

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, awesome mileage, sporty feel, quiet"

Cons: "Only con is pickup but power button helps with it"

"The prius is fabulous. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It is so easy to drive and glides smoothly along the road; very sporty. The pickup isn't great but there is a "power" button you can push when in traffic or need extra pickup which helps alot. The gas mileage can't be beat. It is as roomy as any four door sedan. I love my pruis and would highly recommend it!"

very good

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Pros: "excellent mileage"

Cons: "Not for heavy or tall persons- i am average so ok"

"Trusty car with excellent mileage."

I Love It

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

"I used to be a terrible driver, racing around and driving in an unsafe manner. After purchasing this car two years ago I have become an excellent driver without even trying! Being able to see how acceleration and braking affect your MPG is the biggest motivator in safe driving and I believe if everyone owned a Prius, there would be a lot less accidents."

ECONOMICAL AND RELIABLE

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "SEE ABOVE"

Cons: "SEE ABOVE"

"LIKES - 1.GREAT GAS MILEAGE AVERAGE HIGH 50'S AROUND TOWN IN NON AC WEATHER. THIS REQUIRES TIMING OF LITES, USING CRUISE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, DRIVING 45-50MPH IN SUBURBAN ENVIRONMENT. THIS IS DOABLE ABOUT 8 MONTHS A YEAR PARTS OF SPRING FALL AND ALL OF WINTER IN PHX AZ WITH NO AC 2.GET LOW 50'S IN HEAT OF SUMMER WITH AC 3.ON HIGHWAY TRIPS 55 TO 57 AT 70 MPH FREEWAY DRIVING WITH SOME AC 4.ONLY MAINTENANCE - OIL CHANGE EVERY 10K MILES - LOVE THAT - AND TIRE ROTATION EVERY 5K 5.LIKE HATCHBACK DESIGN VERY FLEXIBLE AND CONVENIENT - GREAT FOR "STUFF" DISLIKES 1NEEDED TIRES AT 50K THOUGHT THEY WOULD LAST MUCH LONGER 2'FABRIC IS THE WORST/CHEAPEST I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED A.GETS DIRTY QUICKLY B. SHOWS WEAR QUICKLY DUE TO THE FREQUENT CLEANING 3.CAR SEEMS SQUIRRLY ON SNOW 4.CAR IS NOISY - DISLIKE THE CVT TRANNY ENGINE ROARS UNDER LOAD - BUT NEEDED FOR GOOD MILEAGE OVERALL A VERY GOOD CAR - RELIABLE AND EFFICIENT"

Good and Reliable

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage"

Cons: "Could use more advance techs"

"Dependable and low mileage"

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "Fast, Fun to drive, great mileage"

Cons: "Cup Holder, 2cd one hard to get to."

"The only problem I have is that the seats got stained very early in it's life, very easily. They are still stained after repeated cleanings and every used prius I have seen with the same type of seats has similar stains, even the newer ones."

Golden Economy

By on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, 45-55 mpg."

Cons: "some wrinkling on front bumper"

"This Gold 'Prius 4' has most available options including the electronic retractable sunroof and backup camera. It has been meticulously maintained with regular oil, air and cabin filter changes and it has been kept clean and waxed. Everything works on the car including the extra driving lights, the hands free telephone integrated into the navigation system and stereo systems. The keyless entry fobs both have new batteries. New Bridgestone tires were installed at 50,000 miles and look new to me. The ones we removed were not really worn out but we figured it was time to replace them. The milage has resulted from the many trips we have enjoyed over the 2 1/2 years we have owned the car. We purchased it in late 2011 during a time when we believed we were getting a good deal and were assured at the time that the 2012s were identical."

This Prius four is in excelent and comes Ex Warrte

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Real view in tree shadows.

"Ext Warrentee 2018 / 100,000 mi . $ 2,950 cost"

Real view in tree shadows.

I love driving for the first time ever.

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "mileage, dependability, style"

Cons: "pick-up"

"I love this car. As is nearly always the case, the buying experience was not the best but better than most. The car itself, though, is fantastic. Gas mileage is the best I could find. It is comfortable, quiet, and dependable. I love the automatic locks that open when you unlatch the door from outside by only having your key on your person. Also, this car will not allow me to lock my keys inside. Pick-up is a little slow, but it is a trade-off. Don't go for all the add-ons when you buy."

amazing car, very versitile comfortable and peppy

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pros: "loaded with features"

Cons: "a little pricey, even used are hard to find"

"very dependable, great gas mileage, lots of cargo space"

Best Hybrid on the market

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pros: "greaat mileage, great features"

Cons: "I am not crazy about the console between the seats"

"Bought this care during the "cash for clunkers" in 2009. I had researched the Prius and knew I wanted one. I bought this car and the wife fell in love with it. This is the first new car we have ever owned but will not be the last Prius we own. While other dealers are hyping up the mileage on their hybrids and they are falling short, the Prius gets what Toyota says it will and then some. Great to be able to fill up for $20 to $30 at the pump."

Good for MPG

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Great MPG"

"Great on MPG but lacks in comfort. Seats are stiff on longer drives. Car rattles on interior."

Great little car that is fun to drive.

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Price. Gas mileage. Style"

Cons: "Not enough cup holders. Small door pockets."

"This is our second Prius. My wife and I enjoy driving the Prius around town and on long trips. We find it very comfortable and REALLY economical to drive. Adds pleasure to every trip."

Very good car

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, gas mileage, sunroof, heated seats"

Cons: "brakes skip when hitting bumps in road, noisy"

"I am used to driving luxury cars - I have owned Acura RDX, Infiniti EX35, Infiniti G35x, so it is definitely not as comfortable or as fast or handles as great, BUT it is a very good car. Also, my husband drives the Acura TL. I had to save some money since I lost so much in my first house, so I traded my new 2012 Acura for a used fully loaded 2010 Prius with 17,000 miles on it in 2012. I have had NO maintenance issues with it. I only have a 10 mile commute every day, but we plan on driving it to Yellowstone for a 2016 3-week trip. I will update my rating after that. We did rent a base model Prius for a week in Florida in 2009 and we drove it long distances from Ft Myers to the Everglades and it was comfortable, easy to drive, and I think we spent a total of $40 on gas for the week!!!! What would I change? Well, I replaced the tire at 20,000 miles with good all weather Michelin tires and I still spin in the rain and snow, so there must be something with the battery and the weight in the middle to back of the car that causes that. I easily squeal the tires also. I probably have more of a lead foot than others. Maybe it was because I was use to driving AWD cars, not sure. Also, when you hit a bump in the road and are trying to stop, the car jumps. This is definitely a safety issue. These are my 2 major issues. This car is also noisy, but I really only notice when driving in our nicer car."

high mileage, easy to drive, high tech

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "high mileage, easy to drive, hatch back storeage,"

Cons: "software defect with brakes, noisy"

"After 3.5 years and 88,000 we have gotten to know the car quite well. Mileage of course is great, average of the low 50's (biggest variable is temperature- better in the summer and worse in the winter). The car drives fine, although takes some time to get used to the blind spots. Interior noise is higher then other cars on the highway. Annoying interior backup beeping is stupid. Biggest complaint is a defect in the software that controls the ABS breaks, that cause them to kick in for no reason on dry rough roads (see NHTS website). Other then changing the oil every 10,000 miles and a set of tires, there has no other costs to own the car. Overall very pleased with the car."

Cut cost of a gallon of gas in half per mileage

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "makes regular cars that are not a hybrid obsolete."

Cons: "Spoiler on back. electronic keys too expensive."

"Gets average of miles between 50 and 55 miles per gallon. Must study drivers manual to get full benefit of car. Spoiler on rear a negative. Allowing a person not familiar with this type of car to drive a negative. No problems with car since new. Intend to buy latest Prius 2015. Get new car every 3 years. Consider regular type of car that is not a hybrid as obsolete. Toyota did their homework without bugs. If you make a mistake pushing buttons such as doing 65 and push the park button it will ignore you and shut down. Leave keys in car or leave motor running it will beep like crazy. Keys too costly."

Better than estimated MPG

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "Up to 70 MPG!"

Cons: "Console creaks during cold weather"

"This was my first new car purchase and my first hybrid purchase. Previously I drove a pontiac, then a cadillac and then a volkswagen. First off, my commute to work (20-25 minutes, 8 miles, all city) is nearly always between 50-62 MPG which I love. I've even gotten up to 70 MPG in other instances. I've experienced MPG in the high 30s only in the dead of winter here in Michigan when I am also driving on the highway. It's still way better than any car I've driven. I'm not planning on ever driving a non-hybrid car again. The smug superiority of consuming zero gas in stop and go or standstill traffic is too great. My previous car was a 1999 so to me, the Prius is really high tech. I absolutely love that the car displays how much money I've spent in fuel each time I turn it off. My advice to any person considering purchasing a Prius: DO IT, but have your dealership turn off the back up beep before you agree to purchase because paying for that set me back $60."

Amazing reliability and economy

By on Sunday, October 05, 2014

Pros: "Amazingly good road car."

Cons: "Could be a little bigger."

"Have driven this vehicle to all 4 borders of our fantastic country multiple times in a very short time since retiring. Never had a hick up in all our travels. Would like a little more interior room though. Also the drivers seat back and my spine are not as happy with each other as I would like."

The car is very good and the milage is great

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Good car for the price"

Cons: "Poor excelleration unless you push it, basic"

"Great car"

I love this car.

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "Incredible mileage per gallon."

Cons: "Dashboard can really radiate a lot of heat."

"I love the car, but I may have overextended myself financially. It has a really tight turning radius and great ease of handling which I love. It is a little low to the ground, but I'm sure that is part of the aero dynamics of the vehicle. It is comfortable on long trips and you just can't beat the mileage. Because the seats fold down I could sleep in it if I had too. Plenty of space, and easy access."

LOVE WAITING IN TRAFFIC USING ZERO GAS

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "MESMERIZED BY GAUGES"

Cons: "NEED POWER DRIVERS SEAT"

"I ORIGINALLY HELPED A FRIEND BUY A USED 2007 PRIUS AND WAS SHOCKED AT THE HIGH PRICE! BUT I DROVE IT A LOT FOR A FEW WEEKS AND FELL IN LOVE WITH THE DIALS, GADGETS AND GIZMOS THAT SHOW YOU WHAT GOOD GAS MILEAGE YOU ARE GETTING.OF COURSE I CHECKED IT WHEN REFILLING THE TANK. A FEW WEEKS LATER THE 2011S WERE BEING CLOSED OUT AND I GOT A GOOD PRICE ON A NEW ONE. IT IS JUST A GREAT CAR. EVEN IF YOU FUSS ABOUT LACK OF POWER YOU ADJUST YOUR DRIVING A BIT AND COMPENSATE. EVERY TRIP I HAVE TAKEN I HAVE GOTTEN 53 MPG. STRANGELY, IT DOES NOT SHOW UP ON THEIR GUAGES BUT DIVIDING IT OUT WHEN FILLING THE TANK, I KNOW THE MILEAGE IS CORRECT. THERE ARE EVEN YOU TUBE VIDEOS TO TEACH YOU TO GET EVEN BETTER MILEAGE. IT IS A MODERN MARVEL!"

Excellent condition. Garaged at my home since own.

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and reliable."

"No problems with this car ever."

Great car

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "We got a great price & trade-in. Terrific vehicle!"

Cons: "The place for a woman's purse is inadequate."

"This vehicle gets great mileage, has a lot of get up and go. With backup camera, bluetooth for two phones, GPS, and a solar roof that turns a fan on to cool of the interior during warm weather, this car has been a gem. We'll drive it until it starts falling apart. Doing an interim service tomorrow, just to keep it continuing to run smoothly."

milage is excellent

By on Friday, August 29, 2014

Pros: "gas milage , handling"

Cons: "ride could be a little better"

"performance is great , runs with the best on the road, ride leaves a little to be desired. but for a small car it is pretty good."