• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2011 Toyota Prius

Based on 316 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Perfect car but for no memory drivers seat.

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "Perfect car for one driver, great mileage."

Cons: "No drivers memory seat."

"Would buy another if they had a drivers memory seat, should offer sun roof on the Prius 5 (not to be confused with the Prius V), which is available on the cheaper models,ie. 2,3,4. Passenger seat isn't as comfortable as the drivers. They should at least offer options like the above but they don't. Deal breakers."

a little over rated

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "saves at the pump"

Cons: "high service costs, slow , boring and not to safe"

"well thought this would be a money saver with high prices at the pump but with scheduled service at the dealership almost every other month and at thier over inflated prices. As i sit in the waiting room during my time off talking to other owners all we talk about is the great mpg, but once you add in all the manditory service costs its doesnt add up too well. I drove a ford for years and only changed oil this thing has a ton of little gremlins that are always there. the dealer tries to sell you on its so high tech and bla bla. Its an ok ride but dont feel safe either as there have been a lot a battery fails and you can feel the heat when you drive up a hill or strain the car with a little load. Ill keep it it for a while but will for sure sell it before the short warrenty is up. if the quality was so good why dont they raise it past 3/36 like 90% of the other companies???"

Best car I've ever owned. 50mpg, good take off

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun driving machine"

Cons: "Can't think of any negatives."

"I have never owned a car as much fun to drive than this Prius. It has all the bells and whistles with satellite radio, solar vent system, navigation, moon roof and Bluetooth. The extra power acceleration is more than adequate and I have no regret giving this car an absolute 10. I enjoy passing gas stations with my 50mpg in all types of driving."

Awesome Vehicle!

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "Enjoy pulling by an SUV at the gas pump"

Cons: "need a back up camera"

"I purchased this vehicle used with 10,000 miles on it. Since then it has been driven 100 miles a day back and forth to work for 3 years. It was driven over 3200 miles in two weeks up and down the East Coast three years ago. The vehicle was recently driven cross country and back putting over 6000 miles in two weeks this year. We spent $512 in gas and did not have any problems with the vehicle. I am thrilled with my Prius! It has 108,569 miles on it and is a 2010 model. I plan to purchase a "luxury" prius next time."

Great car. Very reliable. Awesome gas mileage.

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

"Great car. Very reliable. Awesome gas mileage (51 mpg). Smart looking car. Rides well."

Good comfort, easy handling great mileage.

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "Ecologically sound. inexpensive to run."

Cons: "No rear view camera."

"Above says it all. More concerned about ecology than cost savings but this car does both."

Excellent car, no problems; wipers replaced

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

"Great mileage (45+/-), comfortable ride, but I wish it had electric seats. Great legroom. A real workhorse -- we stuff it sometimes with plants, mulch, furniture for donation. Does have a blind spot that is worrisome on the left rear."

I just love this car.

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Solar fan is great"

Cons: "Highbeam indicator on far right"

"This is my second Prius. I am totally delighted with this one. I have been averaging over 53 mph. I have been driving a Prius for over 8 1/2 years. Some slight repairs along the way. I just like them. Especially at the gas pump, it makes me smile. Enjoy the ride."

love my Prius 53 mpg on a trip usually 43mpg

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "smooth ride"

Cons: "no auto light on, but do eventually go off"

"see above"

Extremely reliable and love to drive it!

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Economical on gas, fun to drive, quiet ride"

Cons: "Rear vision, high price"

2010 Prius II in Winter Gray

"I have had my 2010 Prius 4 years and it runs and drives perfectly with virtually no repairs. The car is much bigger inside than you think as I often carry 3 other passengers in comfort for several hours at a time. The ride is good and the vehicle is amazingly quiet whether in electric or gas mode. The drive train switches modes seamlessly with no jerks or sounds so you do not notice. The mileage is fantastic, but can depend on the speed you drive. At 55MPH you will get 55mpg or greater. If you drive 75MPH you may only get 45mpg, but either way, it's all good. My only complaint is the rear vision is poor due to the air dam but you get used to it and learn to use your side mirrors more. The Prius is an extremely good car and I will surely buy another one some day...but not for a long while the way this one is going. Price is high, but it's worth it as Toyota has proven their Hybrid technology better than any other manufacturer. Both the Honda Insight and Hyundai Sonata have issues with the drive transition causing a less than smooth ride."

2010 Prius II in Winter Gray

Average over 50 mpg

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Awesome gas saver"

"This car is amazing how much gas saving you get"

great around town car ...

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "utility, interior size/capacity, cheap to drive"

Cons: "not quiet on long trips"

"For a suburban home owner - you can't do any better. The utility, reliability, low cost of owning/running - hard to beat. A family of 4 or 5 fits - gets 50 mpg @ throw you in jail now speeds -- and it can haul a hot water heater back from the home store. When I bought the car - it was the ONLY hybrid out there that would take a full size wheel chair in the trunk - the one w/ the big wheels, not the transport wheel chairs which can fold into a bag. The only fine whine is that the road noise on poor pavement is obtrusive - rock hard tires and minimal sound insulation make it a poor choice for a 1K miles a day car. Doable - but your hearing will suffer and the aggravation of all is to be considered. I did not get the high trim version - the only reason to do so would be the back up camera and open on touch for both doors and the hatch. But at the added price - I can deal w/ not having them. The Prius has supplanted the Subaru and Volvo as the upscale (aka Yuppie) suburban vehicle in our area. The utility and low cost of driving is contagious. Buy one if you don't have long miles to drive in a single day."

Very disappointed

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

"This is my 3rd Prius and it has proved to be dissapointing. Toyota's attention to detail has slipped. For example in bright sunlight even with polarized sunglasses you cannot see how fast you are going. It is more noisey. I had to replace the tires at 26,000 mi. When I asked the dealer about it they said that Toyota had changed to tires that gave a better ride but that the milage was lower. The rear doors make a tinny sound when closed rather than producing a that nice dull thud I'm used to. I have loved my previous Priuses and am very dissappointed in this one."

Love my Prius

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "Gas milage, ease of driving, peppiness, response"

Cons: "a few interior noises."

"Traded a Dodge Challenger R/T for the Prius. Was surprised at the pep this little car has. Driving 100+ miles each day, the gas efficiency is very appreciated. The car has been averaging 49.2 miles per gallon and the idea of not having to stop at a gas station every other day is very exciting. It is compact and I can pull into just about any parking place with room to spare. I would buy another in a heart beat. Also the cost of car insurance dropped a bundle when the Challenger was sold and the Prius added!"

Great car and love the MPG's

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and has great pickup in the Power mod"

Cons: "Not happy with the rear view, but can live with it"

"This is my second Prius and it is better than the first one. My highest highway mileage was 53 mpg's on a coast road where speed was limited. I get about 44 or so around town. Did a 1300 mile trip at 60 mph + and averaged 48 mpg. I am amazed how much the trunk holds as it looks small. At 82 I don't know how much longer I will be driving so somebody is going to gat great deal someday."

Great car

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "fair price, reliability, low cost maintenance"

Cons: "Doesn't perform well in extreme cold."

"This is the third Prius I have owned. My first one was a 2001. They hold their value remarkably well. I have had the misfortune of being rear ended at 65 by a p/u with 1000 pounds of tools in the bed. I was standing still. I felt no jarring just a loud bang from the impact. The car sustained no frame or serious damage. It was all cosmetic. That incident proved the safety of this vehicle to me. It is extremely reliable vehicle. Has a lot of get up and go for a hybrid. I have over 111,000 miles on it and it runs perfectly. I highly recommend this vehicle. Toyotas are very reliable vehicles."

Good on Gas! Noisy, Boring, Overpriced!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Good Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Very Poor Acceleration, Noisy, Boring"

"Purchased for everyday driving but have decided to only drive it around town since this car is only moderately comfortable and you can hear quite a bit of road noise on the highway. I am also skeptical about the safety of this car in an accident because the doors do not sound solid at all when you close them. They sound like empty cans, which is probably why you can hear so much road noise. In summary, good on gas, boring to drive with very poor acceleration, reliability has been good so far, but over priced for what you get. I will probably keep it for short trips of and hour or less, but I would definitely not buy another one because of some other cars that are available now. Shop around before you buy!"

Bought this car new, great reliability, gets 44mpg

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and quiet ride"

Cons: "Price to change the oil"

"Overall, amazing car. Interior is comfortable for short and long trips, however, leg room is somewhat reduced in both front and rear. Perfect car for people 5'9" or shorter. Always average 44 mpg for both highway and city. You can get more, just depends on your driving characteristics. Trunk space is average."

My favorite car in 40+ years of driving.

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "In the review - mileage, affordability, comfort."

Cons: "Not much."

"The car is comfortable and quiet, and of course gets great gas mileage. I took a 7500 mile road trip last summer and never tired of driving it. It seats 5 comfortably. When I first got it, I had some troubling handling it in one area of long hills, but only because I was leaving it in Eco mode. That terrain required the power mode. Eco is best reserved for stop-and-go traffic. Funny what you learn when you read the manual! There's not much mileage difference between normal, power, and Eco modes. For conveniences, the keyless entry is nice, and when it senses you the cabin smoothly brings the lighting up to a welcoming glow. The console has minijack and charging ports. We use the first for iPod and smartphones. We usually keep a dual USB 2 in the second. We have a mid-level accessory package. The dash displays give us a lot of information without being cluttered or requiring much attention away from the road, including great mileage-as-we-go information, tire inflation warning, and a transient display that appears when using radio and cabin temperature controls on the steering wheel. The a/c and heating are controlled by simply setting the temperature, though you can override. It can't hold quite the amount as our PT Cruiser. Though the Prius is a midsize, the Cruiser has longer interior space. The Prius is not intended for lots of cargo - it's not an SUV - and we were able to have plenty for our long road trip with 3 people in the car. There's a hidden compartment in back that is very useful for shorter items. It matches the rear area in length and width. Increasing cargo would mean less battery, less passenger room, and/or a longer car. I wouldn't want those compromises. Safety features are considerable, including skid control, side airbags, and a sensor that only turns on the passenger airbag when an adult is in the seat; no need to turn off the airbag if a child is sitting there. In hindsight (get it?) I would have liked the rear camera; but I bought the car used. When I lived in a foggier area, fog lights would have been nice. They're available, and I would have added them if we hadn't been moving. When looking for a car, my criterion was affordability, with a weighted preference for mileage. I used an an algorithm on a spreadsheet (shut up! Geek can be a good thing). Considering cost (I was looking at 2-year-old used cars), resale, insurance, reliability, mileage, battery life and cost, etc., this won hands down. About the battery: So far 1 in 40,000 second generation Prii (really, that's the plural) have needed a replacement battery, at a dealer cost of $2588. Prii have gone 300,000 to 400,000 miles on the first battery. My battery came with a 150,000 mile warranty. About the brake life: Braking takes energy from the momentum of a car, producing heat and wearing out the bake components. In a Prius most of that energy charges the battery instead. This extends brake life by tens of thousands of miles. Lots of tens. I said it's my favorite car. Second favorite was a '65 Mustang ragtop - very different cars. If I had the means to buy any new car for daily use and extended travel, it would still be a Prius."

Love it. Wife bought one 10 months later.

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

"It had some interior vibrations and rattles that I fixed after checking on the internet for the fix. It seems to be a common problem. The car is very roomy in the rear and the front. My friend who is 285 lbs. and 6 ft. 2 inches fits in it nicely. He can't fit into his sister-in-laws full size Volvo."

Have been in love with this car!

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Radar Cruse Control, Auto Parking, Toyota quality"

Cons: "Seems to always be in the way of other traffic."

"Just the fact alone I don't have to go to the gas station all the time is great! Actually I love my Toyota. Although I was in my late forties, I bought the car, Prius! Boy am I glad I did. Have only had one instance of complete failure. Friday bight I unloaded the trunk, backed into the garage. When I went to the car Monday morning, IT WAS DEAD .... The Hybrid battery was fine. Fully charged. There is a small 12volt Battery in the trunk to start the computer. What did I do, Backed in garage Friday night. No power to even open trunk, as it is also electric. Could not pull car out , as garage is at a 90 degrees from driveway. Called Toyota Care, they were able to get me up in running in no time."

Cons: "Expensive car, wayyyyyyyyy expensive"

"oh my bum! I drive 100 miles a day and the 2010 has a bad driver seat for backs and bums. I have rented the 2011. 2012 and 2013. So I know what I am talking about. As for driving in the wind - the higher the wind the lower you drive"

See if you qualify for