• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2011 Toyota Prius

Based on 365 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

I will buy another when ready.

By on Saturday, March 21, 2015

Pros: "miles per gallon"

Cons: "original tires wear out at 17,000 miles"

"This is one of the nicest driving cars I have ev owned. Not the biggest but nicely engineered."

My Prius Rocks!

By on Friday, March 20, 2015

Pros: "Relaxing and fun to drive"

Cons: "Backup visibility is poor so get the backup camera"

"I love my Prius and will get another one ASAP! While my Prius can go as fast as any car I tend to drive slower now as I am never in a hurry and which gets me better mileage. Now I let all the other drivers waste their money and get frustrated!"

Will not be buying a Toyota any time soon!!!

By on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

"I was excited to own a Prius and going "green." For my surprise, at the end of 4 years the door locking mechanism started acting unpredictable. In two weeks time, both front doors actuators completely stopping work. Nothing else nothing more than $1000 to fix the problem. Due to the unusual nature of the problem in a new car, I contacted Toyota Corporation, whom offered no help to resolve this problem."

Great

By on Monday, March 16, 2015

Pros: "gas mileage, ease in traffic."

Cons: "can't think of any."

"This is my second Prius and I will probably own another. I owned a 2003 and had an accident that totaled it, and the safety devices worked just like they were designed to do. The gas mileage is great and it handles great in traffic. Easy to park."

Best Hybrid on the Market

By on Sunday, March 15, 2015

Pros: "great price, economical, roomy, quiet"

"We've been a Toyota family since 1988 and won't buy anything else. Toyota has the best reputation and their cars really do hold up. The Prius is a great value, has lots of power, roomy interior, and the gas mileage is incredible: we average 40-44 mpg on combined city and highway driving. The hybrid battery is warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles and they rarely have to be replaced. We are currently considering trading in our 2010 Prius for a 2015 Prius! You can't go wrong with a Toyota product."

Great car. great on gas- low maintenance

By on Friday, March 13, 2015

Pros: "great price. great value"

Cons: "could use a smoother ride. bumpy"

"great value"

Love the car, but we need a AWD version!!

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "Great on gas, comfortable for long travel"

Cons: "doesnt do well in snow"

"I absolutely love my Prius; however, I work at a hospital so in the winter when it snows, I have major issues with driving to work. I would recommend this car to anyone who doesn't have to get out in snow. This car is AMAZING on gas mileage. I have never had any major issues that weren't backed by the warranty that came with my car. This was my first Toyota vehicle and I have loved it so much that when I purchase an SUV I will make sure it is Toyota brand. I had a Kia Rio before and had nothing but trouble with it so this was a nice change."

decent with a couple issues

By on Monday, March 02, 2015

"This is first and last Prius. It gets terrific mileage in the non-Winter months (45 mpg plus). It get fair mieage in the Winter (30-35 mpg) due to the engine running a lot to keep the heat warm. Also, have had two issues: one with the hybrid system and one with the engine. The Toyota dealer guesses at the cause and solution - not encouraging. We will be looking at a Honda Civic should these issues persist and for our next vehicle."

Good mileage but terrible blind spots

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "gas price"

Cons: "blind spots and low bottom"

"I am a Toyota loyalist. After 10 years of my Toyota RAV4, I swore I needn't look at anything but Toyotas ever again. Now after 3 years with a Prius, I am revising that vow. The Prius does save money on gas ... not the 50 mpg it claims ... usually more like 41-2. Not bad, but not as advertised. Worst, though, is that the Prius has terrible blind spots. I tell all my friends never to cross left to right in front of a Prius; the driver cannot see you. I can't tell you how many times I have almost hit a pedestrian. Other Prius drivers complain of this too. In addition, compared to the higher RAV4, the Prius scrapes bottom if there's the slightest uphill grade in a driveway. I wish Toyota would make the RAV4 a hybrid."

Hate this car!

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "I like the color and mileage"

Cons: "way too many to list. See the review for details"

"Worst purchase I've ever made in my life. I paid a lot of money for this new car. It is a cheaply constructed car. Seems that Toyota cuts corners in construction to make the car lighter so it gets better mileage. There are so many rattles, buzzes, and shaking noises, all the time, literally. I've stopped taking it to the dealer to try and fix, after taking it in FIVE times to fix one glove compartment area rattle. This car has tremendous road noise. Definitely noisier than the 1997 Honda Accord, which I thought was pretty noisy. I can't stand the hatchback. You have to manually open and close it; no release button. So unless your car is clean all the time, your hands (or gloves) get dirty. I always stored a lot of stuff in the trunk of my previous cars. To hide anything in the Prius hatch area, you have to pull the cover and hook it. The vertical height with the cover on is pretty short. You can’t put a daypack in vertically; has to be laid down. Shopping bags barely fit. The bottom portion of the hatch window gets so dirty so fast. You have to manually wipe it to clean it; gas station wipers don't work. And "drive-through" car washes don't dry it. The windshield wiper on the upper portion of the hatch window only lifts up an inch or so. That makes it rather difficult to clean the outer portion of the window. The bar in middle of the hatch window obstructs the view. I actually feel unsafe driving sometimes, if the window is a bit dirty—and it doesn’t take much for it to get dirty enough to affect seeing out of it. You cannot adjust the rearview mirror for night driving. Supposedly it “auto” adjusts. Well, if your eyes are light sensitive as mine are, forget it. So I have bright headlights in my rearview mirror all the time. Want to listen to your fancy schmancy radio? Just try it! The dealer told me it’s a well-known issue for the Prius that the radio reception fades in and out a lot, and there is no fix for it. I live in a large metro area and it happens all the time. My Honda never had a problem with radio reception. I bought the very expensive extra package so I could have a sunroof. Mistake! The sunroof, when open at any distance, is so noisy! I’ve had sun roofs in all my cars and this is the noisiest. I rarely use it. I have never used the extra HD stuff that comes with the package. So, a total throwaway. Front window all fogged up? Well, wait 5 minutes for it to clear up enough to drive safely, with the defrost blasting at full speed. Literally, I have sat multiple times in a bus park and ride lot, at 11pm for 5 minutes before I could see enough to drive. The windows fog up way more easily than any other car I’ve driven. No idea why. Very frustrating. I typically drive with the rear defrost on, because otherwise the rear window tends to fog up. I’m the only person in the car. Shouldn’t fog up like that, especially when it’s not raining or humid. And why does Toyota think that I want the front defrost to always go on full blast??? If I don’t want that, I have to be ready to push the down arrow on the air volume to stop it at the level I want. I generally don’t need the defrost at full blast (except as noted above). The front end is so low to the ground, it doesn’t clear a lot of parking lot space curb dividers. I’ve given up trying to not scratch it."

Best car for 2015

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "Great price, save gas"

"I have own so many cars, Honda, Ford, Acura, Mazda, Scion, Toyota highlander , Camry, and this is the best car I have ever had, love it, should have bought them years ago, could have save over $$$$$ just in gas. Great single or family car. not for racing."

My Prius simply makes me feel good.

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive and makes me feel good."

Cons: "Still thinking....."

TA-DA

"After 3 years of lease time I was looking forward to the purchase today. I loved a Corolla many years ago and a couple Camry's since then, but it's such a good feeling to cruise down the road, relatively smooth and quiet, and knowing that this car is being pushed along with only a gallon of gasoline per 50 miles or more. It's not a racecar and wouldn't do well at the track, but I'm not a topnotch driver and enjoy curves not necessarily on a country road. Nothing wrong with that, but the Prius is a good car, woth the investment...so far."

TA-DA

I have owned three, a 1999, 2004 & 2010

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "Very reliable and low maint."

Cons: "Hard for a larger person to ride in it comfortablE"

"I have owned three generation of prius and I have been very pleased with reliability and resale value, I'm getting ready to buy a 2015, maybe, this 2010 was fully load with solar and roof,but it has not retained the value of the additional cost, so maybe. The 1999 I had 142,000 on, 2004 I had 152,000 this one is a 2010 with 70,800 I will say that I don't believe the solar roof was worth all the extra exp, I do like the sunroof all though it is small."

not worth the additional cost

By on Friday, February 20, 2015

Pros: "Status for a tree hugger"

Cons: "Expense, no real over all environmental benefit"

"In the NE, especially winter on short trips, gas milage is not half of what is advertised. The main reason I bought it.I was told after sale, 10,000 logged on miles is required , before the actual MPG can be achieved . It is terrible in snow, and unlike most other cars slip reduction can not be over ridden, which hinders its ability to power out if stuck in snow . The EV mode is a gimic, and like the kings new clothes, only impresses those who are mesmerized by its reputation! The radar cruise controls only slows the car, and does not stop it, as alluded to in its advertised safety abilities! Lane keeper is a joke, without anf truly functional abilities, more annoying that a safety feature! Over all I would not recommed the car! But it is a status symbol impressing those of us that think such gimmicky machinery makes a difference!"

Great millage, speed, and dependibility

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pros: "millage and reliability"

Cons: "no place to mount a cell phone, and extra usb port"

"Best car I have owned. Sporty look grows on you, with excellent paint. Will outrun most vehicles up hill with out using power boost. Only problems noted is the visibility when turning left due the pavement being blocked by the mirror assembly. At night the front light beams are not wide enough when making turns, but brightness is not a problem. Oh.. one other problem. The manual is useless for programing the usb port to up load music files. Even the dealer did not know what program format was required. I finally got it to work, but not everyone is an engineer."

always plaisantly surprising to own.

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

Pros: "unbeatable on gas, good looking & dependable."

"I am always pleased of the mileage/gas. one time I had swerve instantly not to hit a dog on the road well the car behaved real well to my surprise. I hated the looks of the car when I first bought it (50miles/gallon good...) but now I love it."

Exceptional gas mileage, very clean inside & out

By on Sunday, February 01, 2015

Pros: "Gas mileage, smooth driving, acceleration"

Cons: "Low visibility"

"Hwy mileage in this car is well over EPA number, local is close to EPA number. Only inperfection I feel is its low visibility."

Wonderful value

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pros: "Economical, good value, nice stereo"

Cons: "No power, not for those who like to drive"

"It's not really that fun to drive but it gets me and my family from point A to B safely and economically. And Prii are a far better value than any of the other hybrids right now. You may pay $5000 extra for the hybrid version of an Altima, Camry or Sonata, but they will not deliver the gas mileage of a Prius. Like I said, it's slow. I didn't realize how bad it was until one day I had a loaner Camry from the dealer and kept marveling at how fast it was. A 4 cylinder Camry was like a sports car compared to the Prius. But it will keep up with traffic and merge onto the freeway at an acceptable speed. Power mode definitely helps for hills (I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills) and for passing. It's not an intuitive car and driver experience but I stopped caring about that years ago, when gas hit $4.50 a gallon. Oh and yes- the gas mileage really is all that. I regularly get 50+ mpg average per tank and I drive like a normal person between 70-75 mph. Right now gas is cheap and I'm spending $20 per tank, with a 475 mile range between fill ups. I have never spent more than $38 to fill up the Prius. The stereo is quite nice. It used to be that a base model stereo was the worst thing ever but no more. I'm an old and I usually listen to podcasts but if I want to revisit my youth and blast some Mac Dre, the stereo will accommodate it. I don't have the optional Entune system but it works quite well with my iPhone for Spotify, etc. It's fairly comfortable. I went cheap and my seats aren't very adjustable, but my minimally decrepit body can tolerate longer drives alright. The backseat holds a rear-facing Britax infant carrier in the middle without any trouble for the front seats. It will hold the gear of two adults, a baby and a small dog OK, but it's pretty packed. 2 kids would require a roof rack (and a sacrifice in MPGs) or you'd all have to be verry light packers. If you're thinking of buying, get the level 3. I upgraded from a 1998 Nissan and was so dazzled by the array of standard 21st century options that I thought a base model would be enough. And maybe it is for most cars, but a Prius needs a backup camera and to get it you need to get a 3. I have almost hit a few things, including a small child in the Whole Foods parking lot (classic Prius moment I know). The camera should be standard on all models because the rear window is so short, it really is a safety hazard. I have to go super slow and turn my whole body around to get a decent look, not just my head. When you turn it on, the displays says "Welcome to Prius." Like you're in a new place, Prius."

Wonderful car!

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, awesome mileage, sporty feel, quiet"

Cons: "Only con is pickup but power button helps with it"

"The prius is fabulous. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It is so easy to drive and glides smoothly along the road; very sporty. The pickup isn't great but there is a "power" button you can push when in traffic or need extra pickup which helps alot. The gas mileage can't be beat. It is as roomy as any four door sedan. I love my pruis and would highly recommend it!"

very good

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Pros: "excellent mileage"

Cons: "Not for heavy or tall persons- i am average so ok"

"Trusty car with excellent mileage."

I Love It

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

"I used to be a terrible driver, racing around and driving in an unsafe manner. After purchasing this car two years ago I have become an excellent driver without even trying! Being able to see how acceleration and braking affect your MPG is the biggest motivator in safe driving and I believe if everyone owned a Prius, there would be a lot less accidents."

ECONOMICAL AND RELIABLE

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "SEE ABOVE"

Cons: "SEE ABOVE"

"LIKES - 1.GREAT GAS MILEAGE AVERAGE HIGH 50'S AROUND TOWN IN NON AC WEATHER. THIS REQUIRES TIMING OF LITES, USING CRUISE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, DRIVING 45-50MPH IN SUBURBAN ENVIRONMENT. THIS IS DOABLE ABOUT 8 MONTHS A YEAR PARTS OF SPRING FALL AND ALL OF WINTER IN PHX AZ WITH NO AC 2.GET LOW 50'S IN HEAT OF SUMMER WITH AC 3.ON HIGHWAY TRIPS 55 TO 57 AT 70 MPH FREEWAY DRIVING WITH SOME AC 4.ONLY MAINTENANCE - OIL CHANGE EVERY 10K MILES - LOVE THAT - AND TIRE ROTATION EVERY 5K 5.LIKE HATCHBACK DESIGN VERY FLEXIBLE AND CONVENIENT - GREAT FOR "STUFF" DISLIKES 1NEEDED TIRES AT 50K THOUGHT THEY WOULD LAST MUCH LONGER 2'FABRIC IS THE WORST/CHEAPEST I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED A.GETS DIRTY QUICKLY B. SHOWS WEAR QUICKLY DUE TO THE FREQUENT CLEANING 3.CAR SEEMS SQUIRRLY ON SNOW 4.CAR IS NOISY - DISLIKE THE CVT TRANNY ENGINE ROARS UNDER LOAD - BUT NEEDED FOR GOOD MILEAGE OVERALL A VERY GOOD CAR - RELIABLE AND EFFICIENT"

Good and Reliable

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage"

Cons: "Could use more advance techs"

"Dependable and low mileage"

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "Fast, Fun to drive, great mileage"

Cons: "Cup Holder, 2cd one hard to get to."

"The only problem I have is that the seats got stained very early in it's life, very easily. They are still stained after repeated cleanings and every used prius I have seen with the same type of seats has similar stains, even the newer ones."

Golden Economy

By on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, 45-55 mpg."

Cons: "some wrinkling on front bumper"

"This Gold 'Prius 4' has most available options including the electronic retractable sunroof and backup camera. It has been meticulously maintained with regular oil, air and cabin filter changes and it has been kept clean and waxed. Everything works on the car including the extra driving lights, the hands free telephone integrated into the navigation system and stereo systems. The keyless entry fobs both have new batteries. New Bridgestone tires were installed at 50,000 miles and look new to me. The ones we removed were not really worn out but we figured it was time to replace them. The milage has resulted from the many trips we have enjoyed over the 2 1/2 years we have owned the car. We purchased it in late 2011 during a time when we believed we were getting a good deal and were assured at the time that the 2012s were identical."