• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2011 Toyota Prius

Based on 334 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Very good car

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, gas mileage, sunroof, heated seats"

Cons: "brakes skip when hitting bumps in road, noisy"

"I am used to driving luxury cars - I have owned Acura RDX, Infiniti EX35, Infiniti G35x, so it is definitely not as comfortable or as fast or handles as great, BUT it is a very good car. Also, my husband drives the Acura TL. I had to save some money since I lost so much in my first house, so I traded my new 2012 Acura for a used fully loaded 2010 Prius with 17,000 miles on it in 2012. I have had NO maintenance issues with it. I only have a 10 mile commute every day, but we plan on driving it to Yellowstone for a 2016 3-week trip. I will update my rating after that. We did rent a base model Prius for a week in Florida in 2009 and we drove it long distances from Ft Myers to the Everglades and it was comfortable, easy to drive, and I think we spent a total of $40 on gas for the week!!!! What would I change? Well, I replaced the tire at 20,000 miles with good all weather Michelin tires and I still spin in the rain and snow, so there must be something with the battery and the weight in the middle to back of the car that causes that. I easily squeal the tires also. I probably have more of a lead foot than others. Maybe it was because I was use to driving AWD cars, not sure. Also, when you hit a bump in the road and are trying to stop, the car jumps. This is definitely a safety issue. These are my 2 major issues. This car is also noisy, but I really only notice when driving in our nicer car."

high mileage, easy to drive, high tech

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "high mileage, easy to drive, hatch back storeage,"

Cons: "software defect with brakes, noisy"

"After 3.5 years and 88,000 we have gotten to know the car quite well. Mileage of course is great, average of the low 50's (biggest variable is temperature- better in the summer and worse in the winter). The car drives fine, although takes some time to get used to the blind spots. Interior noise is higher then other cars on the highway. Annoying interior backup beeping is stupid. Biggest complaint is a defect in the software that controls the ABS breaks, that cause them to kick in for no reason on dry rough roads (see NHTS website). Other then changing the oil every 10,000 miles and a set of tires, there has no other costs to own the car. Overall very pleased with the car."

Cut cost of a gallon of gas in half per mileage

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "makes regular cars that are not a hybrid obsolete."

Cons: "Spoiler on back. electronic keys too expensive."

"Gets average of miles between 50 and 55 miles per gallon. Must study drivers manual to get full benefit of car. Spoiler on rear a negative. Allowing a person not familiar with this type of car to drive a negative. No problems with car since new. Intend to buy latest Prius 2015. Get new car every 3 years. Consider regular type of car that is not a hybrid as obsolete. Toyota did their homework without bugs. If you make a mistake pushing buttons such as doing 65 and push the park button it will ignore you and shut down. Leave keys in car or leave motor running it will beep like crazy. Keys too costly."

Better than estimated MPG

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "Up to 70 MPG!"

Cons: "Console creaks during cold weather"

"This was my first new car purchase and my first hybrid purchase. Previously I drove a pontiac, then a cadillac and then a volkswagen. First off, my commute to work (20-25 minutes, 8 miles, all city) is nearly always between 50-62 MPG which I love. I've even gotten up to 70 MPG in other instances. I've experienced MPG in the high 30s only in the dead of winter here in Michigan when I am also driving on the highway. It's still way better than any car I've driven. I'm not planning on ever driving a non-hybrid car again. The smug superiority of consuming zero gas in stop and go or standstill traffic is too great. My previous car was a 1999 so to me, the Prius is really high tech. I absolutely love that the car displays how much money I've spent in fuel each time I turn it off. My advice to any person considering purchasing a Prius: DO IT, but have your dealership turn off the back up beep before you agree to purchase because paying for that set me back $60."

Amazing reliability and economy

By on Sunday, October 05, 2014

Pros: "Amazingly good road car."

Cons: "Could be a little bigger."

"Have driven this vehicle to all 4 borders of our fantastic country multiple times in a very short time since retiring. Never had a hick up in all our travels. Would like a little more interior room though. Also the drivers seat back and my spine are not as happy with each other as I would like."

The car is very good and the milage is great

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Good car for the price"

Cons: "Poor excelleration unless you push it, basic"

"Great car"

I love this car.

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "Incredible mileage per gallon."

Cons: "Dashboard can really radiate a lot of heat."

"I love the car, but I may have overextended myself financially. It has a really tight turning radius and great ease of handling which I love. It is a little low to the ground, but I'm sure that is part of the aero dynamics of the vehicle. It is comfortable on long trips and you just can't beat the mileage. Because the seats fold down I could sleep in it if I had too. Plenty of space, and easy access."

LOVE WAITING IN TRAFFIC USING ZERO GAS

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "MESMERIZED BY GAUGES"

Cons: "NEED POWER DRIVERS SEAT"

"I ORIGINALLY HELPED A FRIEND BUY A USED 2007 PRIUS AND WAS SHOCKED AT THE HIGH PRICE! BUT I DROVE IT A LOT FOR A FEW WEEKS AND FELL IN LOVE WITH THE DIALS, GADGETS AND GIZMOS THAT SHOW YOU WHAT GOOD GAS MILEAGE YOU ARE GETTING.OF COURSE I CHECKED IT WHEN REFILLING THE TANK. A FEW WEEKS LATER THE 2011S WERE BEING CLOSED OUT AND I GOT A GOOD PRICE ON A NEW ONE. IT IS JUST A GREAT CAR. EVEN IF YOU FUSS ABOUT LACK OF POWER YOU ADJUST YOUR DRIVING A BIT AND COMPENSATE. EVERY TRIP I HAVE TAKEN I HAVE GOTTEN 53 MPG. STRANGELY, IT DOES NOT SHOW UP ON THEIR GUAGES BUT DIVIDING IT OUT WHEN FILLING THE TANK, I KNOW THE MILEAGE IS CORRECT. THERE ARE EVEN YOU TUBE VIDEOS TO TEACH YOU TO GET EVEN BETTER MILEAGE. IT IS A MODERN MARVEL!"

Excellent condition. Garaged at my home since own.

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and reliable."

"No problems with this car ever."

Great car

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "We got a great price & trade-in. Terrific vehicle!"

Cons: "The place for a woman's purse is inadequate."

"This vehicle gets great mileage, has a lot of get up and go. With backup camera, bluetooth for two phones, GPS, and a solar roof that turns a fan on to cool of the interior during warm weather, this car has been a gem. We'll drive it until it starts falling apart. Doing an interim service tomorrow, just to keep it continuing to run smoothly."