• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2010 Toyota Prius

Based on 348 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Wonderful value

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pros: "Economical, good value, nice stereo"

Cons: "No power, not for those who like to drive"

"It's not really that fun to drive but it gets me and my family from point A to B safely and economically. And Prii are a far better value than any of the other hybrids right now. You may pay $5000 extra for the hybrid version of an Altima, Camry or Sonata, but they will not deliver the gas mileage of a Prius. Like I said, it's slow. I didn't realize how bad it was until one day I had a loaner Camry from the dealer and kept marveling at how fast it was. A 4 cylinder Camry was like a sports car compared to the Prius. But it will keep up with traffic and merge onto the freeway at an acceptable speed. Power mode definitely helps for hills (I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills) and for passing. It's not an intuitive car and driver experience but I stopped caring about that years ago, when gas hit $4.50 a gallon. Oh and yes- the gas mileage really is all that. I regularly get 50+ mpg average per tank and I drive like a normal person between 70-75 mph. Right now gas is cheap and I'm spending $20 per tank, with a 475 mile range between fill ups. I have never spent more than $38 to fill up the Prius. The stereo is quite nice. It used to be that a base model stereo was the worst thing ever but no more. I'm an old and I usually listen to podcasts but if I want to revisit my youth and blast some Mac Dre, the stereo will accommodate it. I don't have the optional Entune system but it works quite well with my iPhone for Spotify, etc. It's fairly comfortable. I went cheap and my seats aren't very adjustable, but my minimally decrepit body can tolerate longer drives alright. The backseat holds a rear-facing Britax infant carrier in the middle without any trouble for the front seats. It will hold the gear of two adults, a baby and a small dog OK, but it's pretty packed. 2 kids would require a roof rack (and a sacrifice in MPGs) or you'd all have to be verry light packers. If you're thinking of buying, get the level 3. I upgraded from a 1998 Nissan and was so dazzled by the array of standard 21st century options that I thought a base model would be enough. And maybe it is for most cars, but a Prius needs a backup camera and to get it you need to get a 3. I have almost hit a few things, including a small child in the Whole Foods parking lot (classic Prius moment I know). The camera should be standard on all models because the rear window is so short, it really is a safety hazard. I have to go super slow and turn my whole body around to get a decent look, not just my head. When you turn it on, the displays says "Welcome to Prius." Like you're in a new place, Prius."

Wonderful car!

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, awesome mileage, sporty feel, quiet"

Cons: "Only con is pickup but power button helps with it"

"The prius is fabulous. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It is so easy to drive and glides smoothly along the road; very sporty. The pickup isn't great but there is a "power" button you can push when in traffic or need extra pickup which helps alot. The gas mileage can't be beat. It is as roomy as any four door sedan. I love my pruis and would highly recommend it!"

very good

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Pros: "excellent mileage"

Cons: "Not for heavy or tall persons- i am average so ok"

"Trusty car with excellent mileage."

I Love It

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

"I used to be a terrible driver, racing around and driving in an unsafe manner. After purchasing this car two years ago I have become an excellent driver without even trying! Being able to see how acceleration and braking affect your MPG is the biggest motivator in safe driving and I believe if everyone owned a Prius, there would be a lot less accidents."

ECONOMICAL AND RELIABLE

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "SEE ABOVE"

Cons: "SEE ABOVE"

"LIKES - 1.GREAT GAS MILEAGE AVERAGE HIGH 50'S AROUND TOWN IN NON AC WEATHER. THIS REQUIRES TIMING OF LITES, USING CRUISE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, DRIVING 45-50MPH IN SUBURBAN ENVIRONMENT. THIS IS DOABLE ABOUT 8 MONTHS A YEAR PARTS OF SPRING FALL AND ALL OF WINTER IN PHX AZ WITH NO AC 2.GET LOW 50'S IN HEAT OF SUMMER WITH AC 3.ON HIGHWAY TRIPS 55 TO 57 AT 70 MPH FREEWAY DRIVING WITH SOME AC 4.ONLY MAINTENANCE - OIL CHANGE EVERY 10K MILES - LOVE THAT - AND TIRE ROTATION EVERY 5K 5.LIKE HATCHBACK DESIGN VERY FLEXIBLE AND CONVENIENT - GREAT FOR "STUFF" DISLIKES 1NEEDED TIRES AT 50K THOUGHT THEY WOULD LAST MUCH LONGER 2'FABRIC IS THE WORST/CHEAPEST I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED A.GETS DIRTY QUICKLY B. SHOWS WEAR QUICKLY DUE TO THE FREQUENT CLEANING 3.CAR SEEMS SQUIRRLY ON SNOW 4.CAR IS NOISY - DISLIKE THE CVT TRANNY ENGINE ROARS UNDER LOAD - BUT NEEDED FOR GOOD MILEAGE OVERALL A VERY GOOD CAR - RELIABLE AND EFFICIENT"