• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2008 Toyota Prius

Based on 775 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Great Car!

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I researched for 1.5 years for a new or a reliable small car. The Prius was more costly than other cars, but its reliability, gas efficiency and roominess compensates for it. When I first looked at the Prius, I hated the styling, but now I just love it. The 2006 interiors are 6" longer than previous Prius years. The back seat accomodates people 6 feet and taller easily--something important for me with budding teenage boys in a family of tall people. You have to learn how to drive this car! It cannot be driven like gasoline only cars. Learn how to maximize the efficiency by monitoring the consumption screen when first driving. Also, do buy the extended warranty. The battery is guaranteed for 8 years, but the standard car warranty is important to cover the cost of those expensive non-Toyota made electronics and the transmission should it fail ($10K to repair). Yes, the reliability is there, and I've had great success, but there is always one bad apple. I miss the luxury of my Jeep Laredo, and it would be nice to have a more plush and better overall interior. It is adequate, but not as nice as it could be. Many friends who have Prius models state the same. I love not only the gas mileage, but the super-quick fill up at the pump. I can come, pay and leave while the SUV next to me is still filling. The trunk/hatch is very roomy for a small car. After looking at small car trunks and other hatches like the PT cruiser, it is a dream. The back seats and front passenger seat fold down to accomodate longer items. I can fit 3 suitcases, a tent, 3 sleeping bags and misc other items, and on shopping day, all those grocery bags fit beautifully in the hatchback. BTW, do get the rear hatch net and the rear bumper applique. I don't like the ventilation system, and rate it fair for clearing foggy windows on rainy days. AC/heat are great. The kiddos love the car with its roominess, arm rest and all those cup holders. Its narrow body is desirable for city lot parking, and it does not feel narrow inside. Another plus for me is the high-feeling seating. After downsizing from high-riding jeep, it is nice to sit higher than other small cars. Low carriage, especially in the front is an adjustment. There is a nasty blind spot on the front right when turning left into traffic. The rear backup camera is a necessity. All in all, I love this car. It is a hybrid, so if you are looking for a great family or commuter car it's perfect. If you are looking for a high performance car, look elsewhere for a sports car."

Affordable Mobility

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"I purchsed this vehicle towards the end of 2006. I beleive this was the best car purchase I have ever made. It is by far the most fuel efficient car I have ever owned. I regularly get mileage between 48 and 53. In the winter my mileage can drop to about 44, but in the summer my mileage can be as high as 78! The interior material's quality is fair. The dual glove compartment is a nice feature. The rear seat has very little head room, and I don't recommend sitting there if you are 6'+. The trunk is quite generous, featuring a hidden lockable cargo compartment. The smart entry system with push button start is fantastic! The touch screen can become full of fingerprints, especially when you use the bluetooth and navigation functions frequently. The back-up camera provides a nice view behind the car, but needs to be frequently cleaned in winter. Getting on the freeway isn't a problem. Initial power is lagging, but becomes better once you reach 25 mph. After you reach 55 mph, you can only stare at the digital speedometer inch slower and slower. I'm not a power person, though. Every car I have ever owned has been an economy car. In city driving, I regularly start out on all electric power, followed by a mix when driving 25+ mph. I love the outside appearance. It may be "different" but it screams me! I often get stares from people driving faster than the speed limit in huge SUVs, giving me a look that says "What is that?" It's way better looking than the monster you're driving that wastes most of its fuel fighting the air. My last point is comfort. Another place I thought they could have done better. My normal daily commute is fine, but on long trips, can be incredibly uncomfortable. On a trip from my home to Cincinnati, I was fine for the first hour or so, but, after that, I had to pull over at arest stop due to extreme discomfort. The lack of padding is defineitely noticeable on long trips. Overall I am extremely pleased with this purchase, and feel that it would be the ultimate car if all the problems listed were addressed."

Excellent car.

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "traction starting out from a stop in winter"

"Overall, it's a wonderfully comfortable and economic car. A couple of things to keep in mind, however. Shortly after buying ours used, we had to replace the 12-volt battery, which was very expensive. It had a dead cell. So when taking a Prius for a test drive, try starting it by pressing the start button without putting your foot on the brake. If it has a battery with a dead cell, the battery will immediately drain and the car will shut down, and the dealership will have to jump it, and put in a new battery for you. The only other thing that we've experienced is the poor front-wheel traction when starting out on ice or significant snow. I'd recommend putting on snow tires in the winter, which has helped my wife a lot, and she no longer complains so it has helped me a lot as well. Last remark, the mileage depends greatly on the driver, driving habits, and on the outside temperature. In summer, I regularly get 50 mpg in town and 48 to 52 mpg on the highway; in Jan. and Feb. it goes down about 10 mpg."

Best Car You'll Ever Own

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pros: "Low operating cost. Very high resale value."

Cons: "Rear visibility. Road noise at freeway speed."

"Thinking about a Prius? You will not be disappointed. Let's start with economy. You know about the fuel savings, truthfully you'll get an amazing 44 mpg combined city/highway driving (with up to about 50 mpg highway), don't let anyone tell you more, it's not going to happen. Next up, ownership cost is where you'll really save. I have 2005 with 35k miles and the ONLY thing I've done is change oil and put on new tires. These cars are so reliable and maintenance free you won't believe it. No tuneups for 100k miles for instance. Then there's the real "biggie", resale value. Check out how well these cars hold their value and you won't take long to figure out how that seriously boosts the overall low cost of ownership. Dollar for dollar, you can't find a less expensive car, the Prius just has everything beat. Period. That said, you might ask, "What's the catch?" Well, there just isnt' one. These cars are an absolute JOY to drive. They're quiet (around town), handle well, ergonomics are phenominal, storage space is comparable to a mid-size wagon, and the car comes with a great stereo and other amenities. After about a month, you will fall in love with the keyless feature. You NEVER take the key out of your pocket. Ever. The car senses your presence and all you do is open the door (no key required), push the start button and drive off. To lock, you just push the button on the door, that's it! I also own a 2005 Corvette C5 convertible and while each of these cars is way, way different, they are both just as much fun to drive in their own individual ways. I'm 64 years old, have owned about 40 cars in my lifetime, and the 2005 Prius is honestly the BEST (all around) CAR I've ever owned. Don't worry about anything if you're considering a Prius. You'll be delighted and be saving serious money every mile you drive in this fantastic car."

This is a great car.

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort, reliability, cargo room"

Cons: "Visibility, armrests hard, seating position"

"I bought this car new skeptical about actual gas mileage, comfort, battery life, and performance. It has been top notch in all categories. It can easily pull into highways on entrance ramps, and has plenty of pull-away power for all occasions. It has plenty of room in the back seat - I have had five seniors in the car for a 200 mile trip with no complaints. My gas mileage, per the instrument panel, has been 48.7 mpg for the last 90,000 miles. Tire replacement at 50,000 miles was OK. Brakes are still going and have plenty of wear left. Our car is the base model, lowest cost, and is OK for us. Some friends paid almost $10,000 more for options. That is the consumer's choice. Be careful of reviews on this car. They invariably say the legroom in back is poor (it is not - try it), the battery is only good for 100,000 miles and is expensive to replace (ask your dealer how many batteries he has replaced), and lack of power (baloney). Three things I don't like are the right side visibility at intersections, the front armrests are hard and gave me a swollen elbow on a long trip, the grab bar above the front doors squeaked for the first 80,000 miles even after replacing one. One other thing is I wish the steering wheel had an in-out adjustment."

See if you qualify for