• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2008 Toyota Prius

Based on 777 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Disappointing

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "Toyota quality and reliability"

Cons: "Low mpg, poor handling, visibility"

"All in all, the 2007 Prius has been a big disappointment. (1) Very disappointing gas mileage: it averages 38 mpg in mostly high speed highway driving. That's just not good enough. My old 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S got 32 mpg, and was very fun to drive. (2) The Prius handles very poorly in high front and cross winds: it wants to wander and weave way too much for comfort on these poor old rutted Texas things they jokingly call roads. Increasing the tire pressure to 42 psi on new Michelin Defenders may help. (3) Poor visibility: the super-streamlined design makes it way too difficult to see to the right side and to the rear. Then there's that idiotic bar in the middle of the rear window to try to through. (4) Ridiculously low ground clearance and the disappeared hood: Good grief folks, you can't see a thing down there, so watch out for those concrete parking structures! (5) Very poor headlights, the worst I've ever experienced: they were so bad I installed high intensity bulbs. Then, when that wasn't enough, I installed fog lights. Then, when that wasn't enough, I had the lights adjusted upward to the point where it bothers some oncoming drivers. But at least now I can see a reasonable distance ahead and to the right as I make right- hand turns on dark nights. (6) Finally, it's very disappointing because I stupidly paid a Toyota dealer way too much for this used car in 2012 and now owe the bank almost $14,000 for a car that may be worth half that much if I were to trade it in. Other than all that, and the fact that it needs a new radio that has USB and the capability to all the play various music formats, it's a comfortable, roomy car that is really boring to drive."

I "live" in my car - still love it!

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "mileage, reliable, snappy look."

Cons: "ride - you feel the road"

"I drive for a living, so mileage is critical. When you're getting 44 MPG, gas prices aren't even a concern. Love the braking feature on the transmission - saves gas and brakes. It's not the smoothest or the quietest, but I'm happy with it. I have it serviced regularly, and at 128,000 miles I'm going to keep it until one of us dies!"

I'm 72. This is the best car I've ever had.

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

"Like the way it drives and that the mileage to the gallon of gas is so good."

First car I have ever loved

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, reliability"

Cons: "road noise, cornering"

"Great mileage and drop dead reliability, combined with few real compromises, make the Prius the finest car I have ever owned."

This is truly a remarkable vehicle!

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "You can't go wrong. Mileage is only one factor."

"We bought the Prius pre-retirement with no real intention in mind of how might use the car in the long term. We had rented one in Florida on a vacation and were pleased with is performance and this made an impression when we bought the car. Over the past 6 years, we've only driven 60K. During this period, except for the replacement of the 12 battery and tires, we've had no significant repairs. The car is comfortable and reliable. In fact, we've driven the car across country where we've experienced all types of weather during the past year. We expect to drive back to California within the next two months. I do believe this is the best, most reliable car I've ever owned."

Best car ever owned!

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Handling, foul weather control, mileage, visibilit"

Cons: "Not the most beautiful car you'll see"

"After 75,000 miles, this car was still getting 50 mpg. on the highway. Roomy, comfy, totally reliable, with no service or repair requirements beyond normal warranty recommendations. Dealers generally load these cars with all the extras one would want, not counting sun-roof and higher end wheel covers. No one else in the marketplace has anything that fully compares to it in economy, comfort and convenience."

Favorite car we've ever owned

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage, keyless entry, good in winter"

Cons: "Large dashboard that is a dust magnet"

"There has been a minimum of repairs required over the entire life of the car. It has retained its value quite well, it is fun to drive and even in a hilly city the mileage is still great. Best mileage ever was on a 10 our drive to the Outer Banks when we left home with a full tank and never filled up until we got to our destination. That was more than 500 miles and 54 mpg."

Most efficient car ever

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Economical. Feels like a full-sized car. Reliable."

Cons: "Handling is sluggish. Too much road noise at speed"

"More than adequate size for four full-sized people. Fuel mileage overall in low- to mid-40's with regular gas. Maintenance is cheap. Somewhat noisy, and handling is clumsy, but controllable. Had it for 8 years, and it is truly a carefree vehicle!"

First Prius and Loved it

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Loved the 50MPG I got with it."

Cons: "Love the newer 2013 Prius more"

"I would still be driving this vehicle but do to circumstances I own a leased 20013 Prius.Have to sell this one"

BEST VEHICLE I EVER HAVE

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "EVERYTHING GOOD AND SPECIAL 50-52 MPG IN SUMMER,"

Cons: "45-47MPG IN WINTER"

"I MOVE TO MEXICO AND UNFORTUNATLY I CAN NOT LEGALIZE CAR IN MEXICO FOR BEEN MADE IN JAPAN"

Best vehicle ever, great gas mileage,very safe car

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Great price, best fuel economy"

Cons: "Needs more cushion on front seats."

"I have 2 Toyota Prius, I have had 3 total. I am so happy with them, I have them for personal & use them in my business. I do not ever want to own a vehicle now that is not a hybrid. Why should I, when the gas economy is 36 in worst winter driving conditions, to 48 in best summer conditions. They are very safe. The one that I no longer drive, was wrecked & driver walked away, with nothing but a bruise and a little stiff. The only thing I think they should improve, is to add more cushion to the front seats. I added foam under a seat cover."

LOVE LOVE LOVE

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "great gas miliage, safe, perfect for anyone"

Cons: "leather seats get hot!"

"The Prius is amazing! Not only do I get great gas mileage (averaging 47 miles to the gallon), but I can fit my family of 5 comfortably in it. I also fit my great dane inside!! The trunk area has a lot of space. Perfect for getting groceries or packing up for a trip. The only negative for me is the leather seats! I live in the south and they get hot!"

Great vehicle. Very roomy interior, great mileage

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "large color back-up camera, U-turns great"

Cons: "interior not very dressy"

"This has been a great and reliable car. Not especially exciting to drive, but easy, comfortable, and extremely economical. Great on a long trip. Doesn't have great acceleration, but not bad. Can do a u-turn in very little space. Love the big back-up camera! Also like the backup warning beep - wish they had extended it to outside also, to warn walkers. Friends like riding in it, as the interior is very spacious, great seat and leg room, but no luxury here. Cargo space is great, I've hauled really large boxes and long items, surprising most Home Depot and Lowe's loading assistants. I've always loved the keyless entry! A very safe option for ladies. I hate to trade this car, but now need a car higher off the ground with bad knees and back. Will sorely miss this friend."

I'm a Prius Believer!

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "MPG and overall value"

Cons: "Could use some interior features added."

"I own a 2005 Prius that I bought used in 2010. I had been skeptical of the Prius prior to owning, but I'm sold now! Gas mileage per tank has ran from 43 mpg up to 51 mpg, depending on the type of mileage, speed, etc. Ideal speeds for optimal mpg seems to be between 45 and 70. Interior feels bigger than it looks. Hatchback allows more space for hauling/storage than it looks. Service has been good and I recommend the Prius for anyone considering a hybrid and/or needing good gas mileage!"

Ugly, uncomfortable & cheaply built.

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "It is still running at 146,000 miles."

Cons: "Ugly, uncomfortable, cheaply built."

"We've purchased this car new in 2006 and it's never lived up to the hype. First, it's an extraordinarily uncomfortable car to drive or ride in due to the minimalist (read cheap) front seats and limited foot room. Secondly, the interior materials simply don't hold up. Finally, the car has been troublesome throughout its tenure: the breaking system has consistently produced weird noises (squealing and scraping) that the dealership has been unable to resolve and there have been more safety recalls than I can count."

Very good vehicle, best car on the road

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Great handling and cheap to drive"

"What is there not to like? Great gas mileage, comfortable ride, fit and trim are excellent. Good headroom for taller than average people. Enough power to safely merge into traffic or to pass when necessary. Responsive, predictable handling, smooth transmission, smooth engine, not repair prone. People who love to burn rubber and support the oil industry might not like it."

Never needed repairs, only regular maintenance.

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "MPG, Relaible, no mechanical issues"

Cons: "Dashboard lights reflect on windshield at night."

"Consistently gets 46+ MPG. Not the best looking car on the road, not the most fun to drive but very reliable and hard to beat the MPG"

Love this car!

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, cargo space, reliability,great resale"

Cons: "temperature control in backseat"

"Love the gas mileage, although it is only getting 41 mpg after 7 years. Love the reliability: I have replaced tires and a battery(not hybrid)and changed the oil. Love the cargo space: Drop the back seats and it loads almost as much as my Yukon did. I have tested this many times as parent of three and volunteer for many town and school events. The only criticism I have is the driver's seats can get uncomfortable on long road trips (mine doesn't have the lumbar support adjustment in driver's seat.. would recommend.) and in 115 degress the backseat area just doesn't get very cool ( for those with small children it would be a concern). The dog likes the back seats down and lying with her head near the front seat. Temperature control in back is not a problem when it's "normal temperature" ( below 90 in Arizona). I have had this car since it was new in 2007."

Great reliable car.

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "MiPG, great car for inner city."

Cons: "None."

"Initially had problems with "key" once in a while. Software recall fixed this. Synergy water pump problems once. Fixed. Other than that, no problems. Once driving long haul at average 65 mph averaged 55mpg. Great pickup at highway speeds."

Great car!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

"With 245,000 miles, we've replaced one 12 volt battery. No other problems. Many of my family members have since purchased prius with zero complaints!"

I will buy another one

By on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, sufficient power, solid constru"

Cons: "Replacing the hybrid battery pack is expensive"

"I bought this car new, and have had a few maintenance expenses, including replacing the timing belt and a headlight. The biggest expense was the recent hybrid battery pack replacement. I read about buying a cheaper pack than the Toyota dealer pack, but having anyone other than Toyota work on this car has always made me nervous. So, after a $3000 battery replacement, I am ready for another Prius. Why? The car is reliable, it's great in snow, it has held it's appearance for almost 10 years, and I love the feeling of using less fuel and emitting less pollution. Someday when the plug-in version comes down in price I might consider that as well."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Stable on the road and quick enough acceleration"

Cons: "View out front windshield"

"I have owned more cars then the average individual and can state that this car is my favorite. My next car will be a Prius unless something better comes along. I am looking hard at the Chevy Volt and my wife wants the Tesla Sedan. Might happen! All I know is times are changing and we really need to change with them. I believe if everyone in the country owned one the emission problem would be a thing of the past."

Bad trouble

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

"I just finished rebuilding the engine for $6000. It was that or junk it. 2 cylinders were scored and it was ready to throw a rod. I guess I,m the unlucky one."

Impressive engineering.

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, pickup."

Cons: "cheap interior materials."

"Saved me a ton of money."

Best, most dependable car

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

"This is the best, most efficient vehicle I've ever owned. I've been driving it for 7 years and I've only done maintenance to it. I'm getting ready to sell it just because I want a new one. When I bought this I was driving an suv. Every time I fill up my Prius, I easily figured that it would take THREE TIMES that amount to have filled up my SUV. I figured that in 110k miles at an average of prob $3.25/gallon over the years getting avg 46mpg it cost me about $7700 for gas which means that I SAVED abt $15k in gas ! Right now I'm packing to leave on an Alaskan cruise - guess where the extra money came from? I've sold several of these for dealerships just by my promoting for them! My sister bought one and my neighbor is on her 2nd one."