• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2008 Toyota Prius

Based on 786 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Best Ever

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

"not a lick of trouble with this car. and so quiet - so dependable - amazing truly."

Best car I've ever had!

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

"I love this car! It was pre-owned when I bought it and I have never had to do a thing to it other than regular servicing/care, etc. And the gas mileage is outstanding! I have recommended this car to everyone I know."

Best car I've ever had

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage; good cargo space; quiet! comfy!"

Cons: "Dome lights are a bit hard to find"

"I bought my '07 Prius not because I"m an environmentalist but because I found a good deal and it suits my needs: Great gas mileage; sufficient cargo space; quiet and comfortable ride. I compared it with Honda Fit and Hyundai Elantra and it won hands down for quiet and comfort. It's true driving a more sporty car might be more fun, but I'm into economy and reliability so I'm very happy! No problems and I'm now at 138K."

I love my Prius - now if they had one with 4wd

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

"My 2006 Prius has been extremely reliable, and very cheap to maintain. The most expensive thing I've had to do is replace the tires. My only complaint is that the traction control makes it difficult to climb slippery hills in the winter."

Great Commuter Car

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "Very Comfortable, great price"

Cons: "Repair History in Toyota System"

"This car has been super reliable and very economical to run. It looks really good and runs well. There are some vision issues out the back window. Side vision is very good with the side mirrors. Excellent sound system with multiple CD player and MP3 player in a JBL premium sound system. Very responsive hybrid system."

my favorite vehicle to drive. Cant beat mileage

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "great mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "poor performance on snow & country roads, antislip"

"No repairs to speak of! Only scheduled maintenance. I drive a lot and have had no concerns with this car at all. I love to drive this car and it feels roomier than it looks when you are in the drivers seat. I do however feel cramped when I am the passenger. Great mileage for road trips. The mileage is so good you will forget you have to fill up. The battery never dies at the drive in theater or if you play music which is also nice. The car will automatically start and recharge the battery when needed. I've grown to love the backup camera and was sad to see it missing from the newer Prius. I'm not impressed with the performance on the snow. The car is to lightweight to handle snow. I avoid going out until the roads have been plowed. I HATE the anti slip feature. A light comes on with some sliding tires and you can no longer accelerate at all what so ever. It's way to sensitive. Mine frequently comes on when I drive on gravel roads, hit a pot hole or when driving on snow. If you drive in the snow be prepared to push yourself out of an inch or two of snow. I've rarely had to push a vehicle out of the snow but with the Prius if the tires are uneven you'll have to push it out (just a few feet). It's easy just annoying. The anti slip does not let you do the rocking or accelerating tricks to help move when you are stuck. Luckily the Prius is so lightweight anyone can easily push it on their own. The exterior is not as durable as I hoped. If anything hits or touches the car expect a mark in the paint or a little ding. I'd also really appreciate a louder horn. The horn in a joke. No one takes it seriously and smaller cars need to be heard."

The best car I ever owned except my 1959 MGA

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "50 + MPG, Unique styling, Comfortable Driving Car"

Cons: ""A" piller hard to see around."

"The reason to sell this car is to rent another. We are an older couple on a fixed income and want to have a newer car and can exchange cars every few years."

Great little car

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "easy on fuel"

Cons: "hard to see gauges sometimes due to sun reflection"

"Loved the fuel efficiency but a little tight on long trips"

efficient and comfortable vehicle

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "efficient, fun to drive, cost effective"

Cons: "low front bumper clearance"

"Reliable, comfortable, effective hybrid system with plenty of power, inexpensive to drive and maintain"

Disappointing

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "Toyota quality and reliability"

Cons: "Low mpg, poor handling, visibility"

"All in all, the 2007 Prius has been a big disappointment. (1) Very disappointing gas mileage: it averages 38 mpg in mostly high speed highway driving. That's just not good enough. My old 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S got 32 mpg, and was very fun to drive. (2) The Prius handles very poorly in high front and cross winds: it wants to wander and weave way too much for comfort on these poor old rutted Texas things they jokingly call roads. Increasing the tire pressure to 42 psi on new Michelin Defenders may help. (3) Poor visibility: the super-streamlined design makes it way too difficult to see to the right side and to the rear. Then there's that idiotic bar in the middle of the rear window to try to through. (4) Ridiculously low ground clearance and the disappeared hood: Good grief folks, you can't see a thing down there, so watch out for those concrete parking structures! (5) Very poor headlights, the worst I've ever experienced: they were so bad I installed high intensity bulbs. Then, when that wasn't enough, I installed fog lights. Then, when that wasn't enough, I had the lights adjusted upward to the point where it bothers some oncoming drivers. But at least now I can see a reasonable distance ahead and to the right as I make right- hand turns on dark nights. (6) Finally, it's very disappointing because I stupidly paid a Toyota dealer way too much for this used car in 2012 and now owe the bank almost $14,000 for a car that may be worth half that much if I were to trade it in. Other than all that, and the fact that it needs a new radio that has USB and the capability to all the play various music formats, it's a comfortable, roomy car that is really boring to drive."