2008 Toyota Prius

9.3

Based on 828 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

08 PRIUS, 04 Prius, 02 Prius

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"Our family first bought a 2002 Prius, and now have a 2004, and recently bought a 2008 Prius....We're hooked !!....(passed the 02 over to my son).....Owning and caring for these has made me pretty aware of the Prius and how to fix them. I'm a car guy to begin with, and have worked on them, and understand how they work...Never had any problems with the main large battery, in any of them. You do need to keep the regular small 12V battery for starting the gas engine, in good condition...some of the "quirkiness" in the electronics are a result of a weak 12V (small) battery. (I have installed the after market 12V higher amp batteries for about $150 ea., in the 02 and 04 cars, and don't use Toyota batteries)....never had issues since. .....The standard tires are designed for high gas mileage(low rolling resistance).....not going through snow, so I use "all weather" tires, and solved the "lack of traction in snow" issues.... ....These are small economy cars, not a BMW or Lexus, so you get what your buying...a small light weight car.... But there is excellent space in both front AND rear seating...love the rear hatch and fold down rear seats in the 04 and later Prius's....The trunk space in the 02 is OK, but not large....may sound weird but the 02 seems to have a little better ride, than later Prius's. ....The 02 (first generation Prius was actually sold in Japan for several years before ever coming to the US, so the 02 is not a "new design"...The 02 is more conventional in the design of the HVAC and radio controls, than later model that have gone to all electronic controls...but both work without any issues.... There isn't much difference in gas mileage in all three years...about 45 to 50 mpg in summer, near 39-40 in winter(because the gas engine runs more to provide hot water for the cars heater).... The 04 and 08 have a bit more road noise than the 02....Because of the open rear cab and hatch door...needs some insulation in rear axle area (which I will do when I have time)........ I don't feel there's any more wind or control at highway speed issues, and most other small cars. (had many)..... No problems with engine, transmission, brakes, suspensions, wipers, radio, air cond, or heater, etc..... in any of the three. The 08 recently purchased seems a little more "refined" and is a little smoother driving...the interior finishes are better (more durable) in the 08 than the 04. (but the 02 is better than the 04 too)....AND love the "smart" key !!! with automatic locks, and unlock...back up camera and navigation are fun toys...I could go on and on...will probably have a Prius for ever....."

Helping Save the World

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"We've had our Prius for over 2 yrs now. We had a bum battery upon delivery, which was correctly quickly. Since then, absolutely reliable. I tend to drive longer distances, and got on a recent business trip about 55.6 from Western PA to New York area. Probably in the high 40's on the return (it's uphill that way, isn't it?) My wife can get around 40mpg around the neighborhood, which is quite hilly. But it averages about 20mpg up a long hill near home - which is better than our Jeep Cherokee did on the downhill. ;) We did not go for the upgraded electronics in 2005 so miss the gps features, etc. I'm 6'4" and am quite comfortable. And the back seat has WAY more leg room than aforementioned Jeep Grand Cherokee. We've now got a sister and a nephew who have Priusized, trying to emulate us."

Best car for the price

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

"I bought this car in 2010 used with 61,235 miles. I work as independent contractor and so far i have 369,245 miles on the car. I hade couple of things fixed beside the wear and tear issues. The dashboard which was replaced because it was a recall and i didn't have to pay for, and the c converter which i found a small shop that did it for 800 dollars. I do all my maintenance like changing oil and rotate my tires at the dealer because its cheaper and they give you a report on whats wrong and i do any fixing at a shop I've have dealing with the past 10 years. I was told by the dealer this is the highest miles they have seen on a Prius. The car is amazing for the following reasons: 1. Great MPG (46-58) through the life of the car. Summer time you will get the highest and winter the lowest. you will lose 1/2 to 1 mile on average yearly. 2. Low maintenance. 3. Good space. 4. Good looking car. I find the only thing bad about the car is snow which we got a lot this year so I was forced to use my AWD."

most reliable vehicle I've had

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "gas mileage, reliability"

Cons: "average quality interior"

"I've never had a car that had 295,000 miles on it and still has the original brake pads and spark plugs, as well as no other repairs except for two recalls. It's also great to go 500 miles on just over 10 gallons of gas."

The best car I have ever owned or driven

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Bigger inside & trunk than you think! Quiet & MPG!"

Cons: "I hate the Touch screen & Climate Control"

"A cars' purpose is to get me from point A to point B. I like it when it is done cheaply, safely, environmentally friendly as possible, and with out any hassles and in comfort. My 2009 Prius does that all the time. We've taken 4 adults and a 55 pound dog from Tucson to San Redlands, CA, 450 miles, and it was as comfortable as any sedan trip of that length could be. Doing 65 - 80 MPH while getting over 45 MPG was amazing. After that rental car trip, I bought my Prius. Living in the DC area with the Nation's 2nd worst traffic, it's legendary stop & go, makes driving as easy and cheap as it could be. In fact, one pleasant bonus of my many traffic crawls home, was I got over 65 MPG, even if my average speed was that of a person galloping on horseback! You are foolish if a Prius is not at least on your "Strongly Consider" list for your next car. I have 2 complaints: > Why does everyone think a Prius is an expensive car? > I hate automatic climate control and having to use the touch video screen for everything. It's distracting, and in bright sunlight, sometimes impossible to see."