• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2007 Toyota Prius

Based on 820 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Fuel Efficiency

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Great car! Handles beautifully and gets great gas milage. Make sure your air filter is clean for the best performance!"

Totally Reliable

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"I bought this Prius in April, 2005 after having waited 13 months. Great car -- totally reliable, excellent gas mileage, etc. I love the way this car handles. In three years, absolutely no repairs or problems!!"

65k Driver

By on Saturday, August 04, 2007

"Driven 65k in So Cal - Only problems are those one would expect with the trim in any car driven over 100K! I average 45-55 mpg on LA-San Diego freeway and local combined. I wish I had the option for a back up camera - In 2004 they did not offer it but the Nav system is a great gas saver in areas where you do not know the short cuts"

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"Floor mats wore out in less than a year. No mechanical problems.....ride is not great and turning radius is just fair.......but reliability, styling and durability make up for any shortcomings."

Perfect to/from work

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"I like this car so much more than I expected to. Having upgraded house and landed 2 kids, I needed to trade in the BMW and get practical. I actually average 48.8 MPGs and fill my tank about every 480 miles on less than 10 gallons. What was unexpected was the room for 5 (legit) and the game I play when I drive it. Prius drivers will relate to this.....acceleration between gas and battery is depends upon how much pressure you push on the accelerator and how much battery power you've built up. Makes the time pass! I'd buy it again and have a hard time going back to cars that only get 25 MPGs."

Never Going Back

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I bought my Prius in the summer of 2005 - got lucky and happened to be at the dealer on the day it came in, made my offer on the spot so didn't have to wait 7 months like my friends. This was before the big rises in gasoline prices - I bought the car because I have a grandson who likes to breathe clean air, but now I'm glad I did for other, obvious reasons. I took this car on a 3500-mile road trip with my parents and all of our luggage for 3 weeks last summer. They usually drive their minivan, but were amazed at how comfortable we were, how much luggage we could take, and the fact that we averaged over 50 mpg even with 3 adults in the car and a lot of mountain driving. I will never go back to a regular car again. Now I'm looking forward to the day when I don't need gas at all!"

Style and Efficiency

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"This is a great little car that sips gas no matter how heavy your foot is! I was a skeptic before with the claims of 60 MPG and all that... thought it couldn't have much power and would be a slug to drive. Well, it doesn't get 60 MPG, our highest was 56 MPG with an average of 47 MPG over the past 23000 miles. It has giddayup too, just press the pedal and it will zoom, merge and keep up with the rest of the NASCAR folks on the highway. Handles well, (better than my daughters Corolla) and has a comfortable ride despite the short wheelbase. It could use some extra features like power heated seats and some better lumbar support. For the price it was a little on the expensive side for the features offered. One thing is for sure - I have more money in my pocket after trading in the Sequoia for the Prius - that is evident at the gas pump everytime I fill up!"

Great car

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"There is simply no better city driving car. If your commute frequently takes you in traffic and you don't primarily do interstate speeds (70 MPH+) you will love this car. The technology is amazing including the interior bells and whistles. My only complaint is that it is not a great car for family trips for long distances, especially with hills. With weight in the car you have to push it over 70MPH, especially on the hills. I average 50MPH overall. Less in the winter and more in the summer."

I'm a Prius Believer!

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "MPG and overall value"

Cons: "Could use some interior features added."

"I own a 2005 Prius that I bought used in 2010. I had been skeptical of the Prius prior to owning, but I'm sold now! Gas mileage per tank has ran from 43 mpg up to 51 mpg, depending on the type of mileage, speed, etc. Ideal speeds for optimal mpg seems to be between 45 and 70. Interior feels bigger than it looks. Hatchback allows more space for hauling/storage than it looks. Service has been good and I recommend the Prius for anyone considering a hybrid and/or needing good gas mileage!"

Best car I've ever owned and I'm 83 years old!

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "Great reliability, fuel efficiency, versatility"

Cons: "Not much negative, all positive in varying degrees"

"I'm probably going to jinx it but this is a fabulous car. Low maintenance, reliability, fuel economy, comfort are all fantastic. After over 6-1/2 years, still on original 12 volt battery as well as the hybrid battery. Only negative has been the decreasing fuel economy in cold weather. City driving has gone down to about 40 mpg and highway about 46 mpg at 70 mph which is not as good as the first five years but still better than most cars. As a Realtor, the fold down seats and the hatchback convert it into a mini pickup for signs etc. that has proven invaluable."

Very functional, great for city, mpg always 42+

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Maneuverable, fuel efficiency, reliability, space"

Cons: "None to make a point for,maybe acceleration"

"Great everyday use vehicle, reasonably comfortable on trips, longest about 900 miles. MPG stays in 42 range or higher in city. On road, 50."

We love this car

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "great on gas, surprisingly good stereo system"

"We purchased an '07 Prius with 30,000 miles on it 2.5 years ago. We've put over 50,000 miles on it since then and it's been a fantastic car. We have never had any issues with it at all. We drive on the highway a lot so we average around 46 MPG, but when we stay in the city it gets even higher. Even with gas at $3.60/gallon, it's still less than $40 to fill up. It drives nicely and has been great on long road trips. We have an 80 lbs Golden Retriever that we take with us everywhere and she has plenty of room in the back. I would definitely purchase this car again and we plan to buy another Prius when (if) this one ever dies."

We love our Prius.

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "gas milage, ease of handling, roomy inside"

Cons: "Navigation needs updated. No place for a purse."

"We have traveled the U.S. in our Prius. My husband is 6 ft. tall and is comfortable driving it. We love the mileage (48 mpg) average. Sometimes better. The back-up camera has been a life-saver. The navigation system is also great. I just need it updated. My adult children have driven it and like it as well."

Great car save on gas.

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage"

Cons: "Turns like a go cart"

"I fill up my Prius once every two weeks. And it is great . Plus in some states hybrids get tax credit for clean air vehicles up to 3000 a year. Consider this as one benefit of Prius ownership when looking at the numbers on this car ."

The only car I would own

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Fuel economy, style and quality"

Cons: "Not available in AWD"

"The best of all worlds; Great gas milage (I average 50 mpg), plenty of room, controls are easy to operate, handles very well and plenty of power. Visibility is superb, especially with optional back up cam. Hatchback makes life easier. Needs more undercarriage insulation as road noise is higher than usual."

My favorite car taken away

By on Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "good gas mileage, sleek styling, low maintenance."

Cons: "What's not to love?"

"I owned this car and loved every second of it. Unfortunately, I got in an accident and the insurance company decided to total my car. i loved driving it, loved the gas mileage, even in the winter. Snow tires made it drive very well in snow and ice, almost comparable to an SUV. Apparently, even back in 2008, they had crumpling sections built in to the car to take the damage instead of the passenger. I suppose I should feel lucky that I wasn't hurt, but I want my Prius back! I am trying to find a replacement Prius now because all the other small "economical" cars I've tried in the last 2 weeks gulped gas like crazy."

Most reliable I've owned

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, great reliability"

Cons: "Little ground clearance, uncomfortable seats"

"Getting close to 294,000 miles,and Toyota service dept. says original brake pads have only another 20,000 miles left before they need to be replaced. It still averages 44 to 48 m.p.g. When the weather moderates the mileage goes up. The front seats could be more comfortable, and the interior materials were more durable in my 1997 Camry. I installed captain's chairs from a van in my Prius, and it is much more comfortable now, especially on long road trips. I hope to get several more years of reliable service from this car."

Reliable, Cost Effective, Attractive, Responsible

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "environmentally responsible, reliable, great ongas"

Cons: "blind spot very bad, little pep"

"This car is 8 years old. I have been blessed to never have had a repair other than recalls. I have been careful to have regular maintenance done such as tire rotation, oil changes, etc. This car has been wonderful and it drives and looks nearly as good at 100K miles as it did new. It feels good to drive green and responsible. It is comfortable enough for local and some highway driving and roomy enough for five. The trunk and storage spaces are especially nice. What I do not like about the car is the design of the windows to the right front corner of the car and the curve of the car. The blind spot is very bad so that one has to be very careful in my opinion of knowing what is coming up to the right. Other than then, this car is about perfect. Oh, and gas - I do not go to the station often. Even at this mileage, and on the second set of tire, I still average about 52mpg. The car is not peppy, so don't look for that, but passing is not a problem, and going about 80mph is comfortable too as long as there are no strong winds or 18 wheelers passing - then the car feels too light. This is one of the best financial choices I have ever made. I purchased all of the warranties, but have never used them. They gave me peace of mind."

The best car I ever owned since 1957

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cons: "A little squirley at speeds over 75."

"Great car only item changed aside from regular maint. was 4 sets of tires. After I pass 110,000 I plan on buying a new one again with all the bells and whistles. Easy to drive, and just fun. Again the best car I have owned."

More than I expected!

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Pros: "MPG! Quiet! Comfortable! Reliable! Roomy!"

Cons: "Just a bit sluggish & noisy on take off."

"I am not one of those who bought the Prius to be "environmentally correct". I was looking for cargo space; MPG; quiet; comfort and I certainly found all of those. I am delighted to say the Prius is much quieter and more comfortable than any other small car I tried. Though not the roomiest, It has plenty of space for my musical equipment. It may not be a sporty drive and even sounds as if it is straining when I step on it but I gladly exchange a "fun" ride for the great gas mileage! I still can't believe how comfortable and quiet this ride is compared to other cars this size. Passengers always comment on how quiet its. I'm delighted! At 95K I've only had to gas up and change the oil regularly."

This is the best car I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

"I am extremly pleased with this car. It is extremly reliable and easy to maintain. The only drawback is that I feel compeled to go to the dealership for any service. I hope in time local garages wil be able to service hybrids."

Was impressed with all the room in a small car!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, and unexpected comfort."

Cons: "Lower than usual cars I have driven."

"Until this car, I had always had American cars, primarily full sized, i.e. Cadillac's. And, my favorite until now, an '88 Buick Park Avenue. I felt safe in it as I do in my Prius. The interior room is deceiving from the outside! I have knee implants and getting in and out can be a problem in most small cars, and many larger cars. The low lip to exit is a great feature for me. Our turn to carry four for dinner is no problem! And the car is large enough to carry a couple of 2"x4"'s! That is if I sacrifice my large drink for the journey! We had a motor home and towed Jeeps, and the ride and husband's neck surgery prompted the change in vehicles, even though the Jeeps were very easy to enter and exit. You cannot not like the 46.4 AVERAGE mileage in the Prius compared to 18 mpg in our Jeep! We tried a Town and Country in the middle, and only managed 14 mpg. We could not afford that!"

08 Prius w/ smart key 7 back up camera

By on Saturday, February 12, 2011

"Really love our 08 Prius with 36,000 miles. It costs half to fill up, than our Altima, and runs just a long. It is certainly a gas saver as advertised. Although mileage varies considerably, when the seasons change. In spring and fall, we get 40 to 45 mpg in town, and about the same on the highway (70 mph) Mileage will go up to near 50, at 55 mph. We don't "baby" the car in driving style, but the wife gets better mileage than I do (too much of a lead foot I guess) The Prius is mpg sensitive to the way it's driven. We get lower mileage on short trips (5-10 mile or less+-) Winter, in town, mileage drops a lot in our colder Nebraska climate, to as low as 33 mpg when it's 20 degrees and lower. (below freezing seems to be the rough balance point) Other than high mileage talk, there are many other positives. One is smooth ride for a small car, and the interior is roomy in front AND back seats. (We just took an 800 mile trip and were not uncomfortable. (3 adults)) I really like all the smart key features. Very cool stuff. Also like the rear hatch and fold down real seat. (you can put lots of stuff in there) No problem or issues with the car. It's a typical Toyota. No battery issues at all. We have the basic stereo radio/CD player, with six speakers and it very nice for us. Clear and full sound. Also like the touch screen for gas consumption viewing, and also the air cond. control, radio tuning, etc. Also nice are the steering wheel radio control. Also has air cond and defrost controls too. We don't have interior cleaning issues like the 2004......doesn't stain like the early generation II Prius. By the way we also have a 2002 Prius (gen I) our son drives at college, and a 2004 Prius that will soon go to my son. (It's loaded with navigation, Boze, and more fun stuff.) Our experience has been that all the gas pedal supposed problems, and news on TV ....are none existent. We have three Prius's and NO gas pedal problems with any of them. For that matter, no safety issues at all. It's would seem to be obvious, but if you buy a Prius ....your buying a smaller economy car. It's not a mid size Lexus, and isn't built to be one. And we're looking forward to getting a 2011 Prius. Hybrids are the future for the next couple of decades."

Poor Prius

By on Thursday, January 07, 2010

"I have only had One major issue, the head light going out. However this is the first car I have owned that has had a major issue when 2 years old that was not fixed by the manufacturer. This car achieves 45 to 55 mpg. SmartKey is great. I like the backup camera. Don't recommend the GPS navigation or the blue tooth for cell phone. GPS is weak and the one in my cell phone performs better. When driving at highway speed the blue tooth has so much backgroud noise that it is useless. When I am stuck in slow moving traffic or parked it works ok. HID headlight lasted about 2 years and cost $500 to replace. My Wife thinks the car is comfortable. I don't. There is not enough room for my size 12 shoes and my leg get stiff from being lock in one position. Seat does not go back enough for me so I must keep knees bent. I suggest you Rent one and go for a two hour ride. One of the smart key went bad after 36000 mile, replace the battery to fix it."

2008 Prius Touring Edition

By on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"I believe it is difficult to find a Prius owner that does not love their car. Toyota's standards for quality and reliability and well known and extensively touted in pretty much every consumer car buying periodical there is so I'll focus this review on what I like most and what I'm most disappointed about. It's important to note that what I like most is more significant than what the one downfall I've experienced. As with pretty much all new model Toyota cars the key to operating 85% of the vehicle is located at the driver's fingertips in that almost everything one needs to operate in the car is on or around the steering wheel. The driver controls the climate control system, radio, CD player, rear and front defrosters, and integrated bluetooth telephone all on the steering wheel. Consequently once the driver familiarizes themselves with the multi-function steering wheel they know how to operate many of the important functions by touch. For example the rear window defroster button is recessed whereas the front defroster is not. The car is very high tech and if you have the navigation system it's well worth the time and effort to study up and learn how to use it to its full extent as you can literally tell it (i.e. speak to it) where you want to go. The only disappointment I have is that for the first year and a half of ownership my gas mileage always exceeded 40 mph. Now, during the colder months I sometimes average 39 and that bugs the heck out of me. I've tried different gasolines, thinking that maybe the less expensive gas staions such as Costco, may be putting more additives in their fuel, which would reduce mileage but I find it doesn't matter. I can buy the more expensive, Chevron, Texaco, or Shell, etc and there's no effect on the mileage. I have not tried a higher octane (premium unleaded) so I don't know if that would make a difference so I cannot speak to whether or not paying the premium for the fuel "pencils out". I know that buying a hybrid may not "pencil out" when compared to a comparable non hybrid Toyota. But car buying decisions are not strictly financial decisions. If they were, there would be no market for hybrids or luxury vehicles. A knowledgable student of economics will realize that such decisions are based upon individuals "utility curves" and those vary which each and every person. I've owned 5 Toyotas, a couple of Mazdas, two General Motors (and had a third as a company car), a Chrysler mini van, Lincoln Town Car, a "pre Ford Volvo" a Volkswagen, and a Nissan during my lifetime. That Toyota is now the world's largest car company is no surprise. They make a terrific product. Having said that, I also own a 1995 Mazda Protege which I bought new. It has 250,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. I wouldn't take it on a "road trip" but the Japanese know how to build reliability into their vehicles. After being burned twice by GM I swore I'd never buy one of their cars again. Fortunately, although these cars and its parts are designed and manufactured primarily in Japan, they are, I believe, assembled in the U.S.A. I believe that when one buys an "American car" one is often buying parts made in China. So, who is to say that buying GM, Ford, or Chrysler is "buying American" anymore than buying a Japanese manufacturer's car?"