• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2006 Toyota Prius

Based on 780 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Great Car!

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I researched for 1.5 years for a new or a reliable small car. The Prius was more costly than other cars, but its reliability, gas efficiency and roominess compensates for it. When I first looked at the Prius, I hated the styling, but now I just love it. The 2006 interiors are 6" longer than previous Prius years. The back seat accomodates people 6 feet and taller easily--something important for me with budding teenage boys in a family of tall people. You have to learn how to drive this car! It cannot be driven like gasoline only cars. Learn how to maximize the efficiency by monitoring the consumption screen when first driving. Also, do buy the extended warranty. The battery is guaranteed for 8 years, but the standard car warranty is important to cover the cost of those expensive non-Toyota made electronics and the transmission should it fail ($10K to repair). Yes, the reliability is there, and I've had great success, but there is always one bad apple. I miss the luxury of my Jeep Laredo, and it would be nice to have a more plush and better overall interior. It is adequate, but not as nice as it could be. Many friends who have Prius models state the same. I love not only the gas mileage, but the super-quick fill up at the pump. I can come, pay and leave while the SUV next to me is still filling. The trunk/hatch is very roomy for a small car. After looking at small car trunks and other hatches like the PT cruiser, it is a dream. The back seats and front passenger seat fold down to accomodate longer items. I can fit 3 suitcases, a tent, 3 sleeping bags and misc other items, and on shopping day, all those grocery bags fit beautifully in the hatchback. BTW, do get the rear hatch net and the rear bumper applique. I don't like the ventilation system, and rate it fair for clearing foggy windows on rainy days. AC/heat are great. The kiddos love the car with its roominess, arm rest and all those cup holders. Its narrow body is desirable for city lot parking, and it does not feel narrow inside. Another plus for me is the high-feeling seating. After downsizing from high-riding jeep, it is nice to sit higher than other small cars. Low carriage, especially in the front is an adjustment. There is a nasty blind spot on the front right when turning left into traffic. The rear backup camera is a necessity. All in all, I love this car. It is a hybrid, so if you are looking for a great family or commuter car it's perfect. If you are looking for a high performance car, look elsewhere for a sports car."

great vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought a used 04 Prius in 05. Love it but would like a new one (07 or 08). The trade in value is not what I expected so tried to sell it on my own. No luck. Cannot understand why any one would be affraid of a used Prius. Have had no problems and love the milage. Better that the Dodge Ram. It does have a little problem in the wind but with snow tires it climbs up my steep drive in the winter."

05 Prius @ 62k

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Good: MPG is consistant at 48-50mpg. Enough power to climb mountains with little cargo. Smooth and reliable. Zero problems. Free parking in LA! Bad: Heavily underpowered with 4 passengers + cargo. Window rattles and noise insulation is poor. Poor rear visibility."

Not a bad little car

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"Just a warning people watch for tire wear had 2 previous Prius's 05 and 06 at 16k 05 tires were shot!! No hard driving all paved roads and more city than highway never had to slam on brakes and didn't leave rubber at the stop signs and lights taking off. Our 07 is ridiculous to fuel and the dealer refuses to look at it says weather affects air in the fuel cell. Our 05 and 06 were recalled for the same problem when the fuel pipe from the fender to the fuel cell was replaced the problem was stopped. The 07 is getting better mileage than the 05 and 06. Took the Prius on a trip from SW Indiana to Myrtle Beach and all over the area got 50.25 mpg overall which is about 7mpg better than we ever experienced on the previous 2 Prius's. My other car is an 07 Camry and there is little difference in comfort between the 2 however both cars are mostly basic equipment so the Camry was cheaper than the Prius. Saved $60 on gas over the Camry for the above trip. Again keep an eye on tire wear!!!"

Never Going Back

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I bought my Prius in the summer of 2005 - got lucky and happened to be at the dealer on the day it came in, made my offer on the spot so didn't have to wait 7 months like my friends. This was before the big rises in gasoline prices - I bought the car because I have a grandson who likes to breathe clean air, but now I'm glad I did for other, obvious reasons. I took this car on a 3500-mile road trip with my parents and all of our luggage for 3 weeks last summer. They usually drive their minivan, but were amazed at how comfortable we were, how much luggage we could take, and the fact that we averaged over 50 mpg even with 3 adults in the car and a lot of mountain driving. I will never go back to a regular car again. Now I'm looking forward to the day when I don't need gas at all!"