• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2006 Toyota Prius

Based on 798 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Love it will trade for a newer prius soon!

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"This car pays for itself in gas savings!! Average 47 miles to the gallon really roomy for 4 people travels long distances nicely Will own another one !!"

What more do you need?

By on Monday, January 19, 2015

"First, the people who are complaining they had to replace the 12V battery after using it for several years, come on! All 12V batteries on all cars will have to be replaced after few years of use. I hear you complainers on the headlight issue. They do go out every 40K miles or so. They cost 40 bucks for a pair on Amazon and take an hour to replace. So it's not a big deal. There are plenty of info on the web on how to replace them. This car is the only car I would not hesitate buying second hand if it had 200K miles on it. Superbly built car with value at heart."

Great vehicle; Unique, great color, ride, and mpg

By on Friday, January 16, 2015

Pros: "mpg, compartmentalization, unique, fun"

Cons: "approaching 10 years old"

"Original owner, garage kept, always serviced at Toyota dealership. Paint is in great condition, interior is in good condition, tires are OEM and were replaced new 1 year ago. 83,000 miles with lots of interstate commuting miles. Millennium Silver with Grey leather interior. NICE!"

Best Car Ever Owned

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pros: "Superb fuel economy and reliabiity"

Cons: "wind noise on highway"

"Not only is this car superb on gas mileage, but it's also the most reliable car I have owned. I can count on one hand the number of times in the past 10 years that I had to have non-routine maintenance done on the car. 50 MPG consistently and this car is still going strong...."

Incredible mileage warrior

By on Friday, December 26, 2014

Pros: "Best car value I've ever owned"

Cons: "Horrible Horrible lights."

"This car was been nothing short of amazing. Over 234,000 miles, and still runs like a champ. I do have one HUGE beef about the car, and that is the headlights. Very very expensive and have had to change them out twice now. At over $150 a lamp to replace is not good. It cannot be done easily by the owner either. I am pretty handy with working on my vehicles, but this was shear frustration. I even took it to my normal mechanic, and attempted to save a couple of bucks. Nada... light went out in a few short months. I took it to the dealership, who for the most part charges an arm and a leg, but the lights are great and they are lasting. The mileage is still going strong,as I am averaging about 47 MPG currently. Don't know if and when the "big" battery will need to be replaced, but so far... no worries!"

Best economical car that I have owned

By on Monday, December 22, 2014

Pros: "Great price, interactive energy consumption charts"

"High quality car worth the value. Very low maintenance costs. Reliable. High mpg."

Well worth it -- Buying another one

By on Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, comfortable drive, resale value"

Cons: "MTBF: 12v battery should last longer (others can)"

"Our first hybrid. Bought it new in Dec 2006 and have loved just about everything about it (especially the 48.5 real driving mpg). Only glitches along the way was needing to replace the 12v battery twice (every 4 years), warranty work on headlights and instrument panel, and most recently (causing us to buy new rather than keep paying repairs): gaskets. At 95K replaced oil pan gasket, 100K side pulleys(?) gasket basically the gasket under the side serpentine belt which included having to replace water pump just because(EXPENSIVE). Now at 105K the seal on the driver's side axle is going--the cost is equivalent to 4 payments on a new car. That's what we are doing: this month buying a 2015 Prius model 3 with the solar roof package."

Economical, Relaible

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Good Gas Mileage, good value"

Cons: "comfort"

"Great Car for the money"

Absolutely Love This Car!!!

By on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Pros: "Great all-around vehicle"

Cons: "Headlight covers yellowed/dimmed/had to replace"

"450 miles to 200K! Have enjoyed every minute of driving this 2nd Gen Prius (traded in 1st Gen ONLY for new design/larger cargo space in 2nd Gen). Looking to purchase gently used 3rd Gen, but not going to part with 04! Replaced windshield, headlights, and exhaust system, with meticulous maintenance record for 11 years. No battery replacement. Still going strong. "Little Blue" is a Wonder for long trip travel, commuting and buzzing around town. Love This Car!!!"

No problems', good driver

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pros: "Easy on fuel and maintenance. Hatchback is handy."

Cons: "Nanny controls (traction) too intrusive."

"Easy to drive and maintain. Averages 46 to 48 mpg in mtn,s of NC. Have replaced the engine water pump and 12 volt battery. Did work myself, easy to do if mechanically inclined. Cleans up well, no rust or interior faults after 86,000 miles. Buy another? Absolutely!"

Reliable. Fun to drive.

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "Great price. Lots of leg room."

"Clean, reliable, drives well, even in snow. Rear windshield wiper. Has many storage compartments. Navigation system needs to be updated, but seldom used it anyway. Good on gas mileage, uses reg. gas"

over 200,000 going strong!

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "holds 5 adults comfortably"

Cons: "road noise - better than newer models though"

"Other than replacing some suspension, this has been an amazing car. I am really hard on cars so at over 200 thousand miles, I am really in love with this car. I get offers to buy her but NO WAY!! 47-50mpg!"

Best Ever

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

"not a lick of trouble with this car. and so quiet - so dependable - amazing truly."

Best car I've ever had!

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

"I love this car! It was pre-owned when I bought it and I have never had to do a thing to it other than regular servicing/care, etc. And the gas mileage is outstanding! I have recommended this car to everyone I know."

Best car I've ever had

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage; good cargo space; quiet! comfy!"

Cons: "Dome lights are a bit hard to find"

"I bought my '07 Prius not because I"m an environmentalist but because I found a good deal and it suits my needs: Great gas mileage; sufficient cargo space; quiet and comfortable ride. I compared it with Honda Fit and Hyundai Elantra and it won hands down for quiet and comfort. It's true driving a more sporty car might be more fun, but I'm into economy and reliability so I'm very happy! No problems and I'm now at 138K."

I love my Prius - now if they had one with 4wd

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

"My 2006 Prius has been extremely reliable, and very cheap to maintain. The most expensive thing I've had to do is replace the tires. My only complaint is that the traction control makes it difficult to climb slippery hills in the winter."

Great Commuter Car

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "Very Comfortable, great price"

Cons: "Repair History in Toyota System"

"This car has been super reliable and very economical to run. It looks really good and runs well. There are some vision issues out the back window. Side vision is very good with the side mirrors. Excellent sound system with multiple CD player and MP3 player in a JBL premium sound system. Very responsive hybrid system."

my favorite vehicle to drive. Cant beat mileage

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "great mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "poor performance on snow & country roads, antislip"

"No repairs to speak of! Only scheduled maintenance. I drive a lot and have had no concerns with this car at all. I love to drive this car and it feels roomier than it looks when you are in the drivers seat. I do however feel cramped when I am the passenger. Great mileage for road trips. The mileage is so good you will forget you have to fill up. The battery never dies at the drive in theater or if you play music which is also nice. The car will automatically start and recharge the battery when needed. I've grown to love the backup camera and was sad to see it missing from the newer Prius. I'm not impressed with the performance on the snow. The car is to lightweight to handle snow. I avoid going out until the roads have been plowed. I HATE the anti slip feature. A light comes on with some sliding tires and you can no longer accelerate at all what so ever. It's way to sensitive. Mine frequently comes on when I drive on gravel roads, hit a pot hole or when driving on snow. If you drive in the snow be prepared to push yourself out of an inch or two of snow. I've rarely had to push a vehicle out of the snow but with the Prius if the tires are uneven you'll have to push it out (just a few feet). It's easy just annoying. The anti slip does not let you do the rocking or accelerating tricks to help move when you are stuck. Luckily the Prius is so lightweight anyone can easily push it on their own. The exterior is not as durable as I hoped. If anything hits or touches the car expect a mark in the paint or a little ding. I'd also really appreciate a louder horn. The horn in a joke. No one takes it seriously and smaller cars need to be heard."

The best car I ever owned except my 1959 MGA

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "50 + MPG, Unique styling, Comfortable Driving Car"

Cons: ""A" piller hard to see around."

"The reason to sell this car is to rent another. We are an older couple on a fixed income and want to have a newer car and can exchange cars every few years."

Great little car

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "easy on fuel"

Cons: "hard to see gauges sometimes due to sun reflection"

"Loved the fuel efficiency but a little tight on long trips"

efficient and comfortable vehicle

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "efficient, fun to drive, cost effective"

Cons: "low front bumper clearance"

"Reliable, comfortable, effective hybrid system with plenty of power, inexpensive to drive and maintain"

Disappointing

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "Toyota quality and reliability"

Cons: "Low mpg, poor handling, visibility"

"All in all, the 2007 Prius has been a big disappointment. (1) Very disappointing gas mileage: it averages 38 mpg in mostly high speed highway driving. That's just not good enough. My old 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S got 32 mpg, and was very fun to drive. (2) The Prius handles very poorly in high front and cross winds: it wants to wander and weave way too much for comfort on these poor old rutted Texas things they jokingly call roads. Increasing the tire pressure to 42 psi on new Michelin Defenders may help. (3) Poor visibility: the super-streamlined design makes it way too difficult to see to the right side and to the rear. Then there's that idiotic bar in the middle of the rear window to try to through. (4) Ridiculously low ground clearance and the disappeared hood: Good grief folks, you can't see a thing down there, so watch out for those concrete parking structures! (5) Very poor headlights, the worst I've ever experienced: they were so bad I installed high intensity bulbs. Then, when that wasn't enough, I installed fog lights. Then, when that wasn't enough, I had the lights adjusted upward to the point where it bothers some oncoming drivers. But at least now I can see a reasonable distance ahead and to the right as I make right- hand turns on dark nights. (6) Finally, it's very disappointing because I stupidly paid a Toyota dealer way too much for this used car in 2012 and now owe the bank almost $14,000 for a car that may be worth half that much if I were to trade it in. Other than all that, and the fact that it needs a new radio that has USB and the capability to all the play various music formats, it's a comfortable, roomy car that is really boring to drive."

I "live" in my car - still love it!

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "mileage, reliable, snappy look."

Cons: "ride - you feel the road"

"I drive for a living, so mileage is critical. When you're getting 44 MPG, gas prices aren't even a concern. Love the braking feature on the transmission - saves gas and brakes. It's not the smoothest or the quietest, but I'm happy with it. I have it serviced regularly, and at 128,000 miles I'm going to keep it until one of us dies!"

I'm 72. This is the best car I've ever had.

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

"Like the way it drives and that the mileage to the gallon of gas is so good."

First car I have ever loved

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, reliability"

Cons: "road noise, cornering"

"Great mileage and drop dead reliability, combined with few real compromises, make the Prius the finest car I have ever owned."