2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

Excellent car.

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "traction starting out from a stop in winter"

"Overall, it's a wonderfully comfortable and economic car. A couple of things to keep in mind, however. Shortly after buying ours used, we had to replace the 12-volt battery, which was very expensive. It had a dead cell. So when taking a Prius for a test drive, try starting it by pressing the start button without putting your foot on the brake. If it has a battery with a dead cell, the battery will immediately drain and the car will shut down, and the dealership will have to jump it, and put in a new battery for you. The only other thing that we've experienced is the poor front-wheel traction when starting out on ice or significant snow. I'd recommend putting on snow tires in the winter, which has helped my wife a lot, and she no longer complains so it has helped me a lot as well. Last remark, the mileage depends greatly on the driver, driving habits, and on the outside temperature. In summer, I regularly get 50 mpg in town and 48 to 52 mpg on the highway; in Jan. and Feb. it goes down about 10 mpg."

Best Car You'll Ever Own

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pros: "Low operating cost. Very high resale value."

Cons: "Rear visibility. Road noise at freeway speed."

"Thinking about a Prius? You will not be disappointed. Let's start with economy. You know about the fuel savings, truthfully you'll get an amazing 44 mpg combined city/highway driving (with up to about 50 mpg highway), don't let anyone tell you more, it's not going to happen. Next up, ownership cost is where you'll really save. I have 2005 with 35k miles and the ONLY thing I've done is change oil and put on new tires. These cars are so reliable and maintenance free you won't believe it. No tuneups for 100k miles for instance. Then there's the real "biggie", resale value. Check out how well these cars hold their value and you won't take long to figure out how that seriously boosts the overall low cost of ownership. Dollar for dollar, you can't find a less expensive car, the Prius just has everything beat. Period. That said, you might ask, "What's the catch?" Well, there just isnt' one. These cars are an absolute JOY to drive. They're quiet (around town), handle well, ergonomics are phenominal, storage space is comparable to a mid-size wagon, and the car comes with a great stereo and other amenities. After about a month, you will fall in love with the keyless feature. You NEVER take the key out of your pocket. Ever. The car senses your presence and all you do is open the door (no key required), push the start button and drive off. To lock, you just push the button on the door, that's it! I also own a 2005 Corvette C5 convertible and while each of these cars is way, way different, they are both just as much fun to drive in their own individual ways. I'm 64 years old, have owned about 40 cars in my lifetime, and the 2005 Prius is honestly the BEST (all around) CAR I've ever owned. Don't worry about anything if you're considering a Prius. You'll be delighted and be saving serious money every mile you drive in this fantastic car."

08 PRIUS, 04 Prius, 02 Prius

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"Our family first bought a 2002 Prius, and now have a 2004, and recently bought a 2008 Prius....We're hooked !!....(passed the 02 over to my son).....Owning and caring for these has made me pretty aware of the Prius and how to fix them. I'm a car guy to begin with, and have worked on them, and understand how they work...Never had any problems with the main large battery, in any of them. You do need to keep the regular small 12V battery for starting the gas engine, in good condition...some of the "quirkiness" in the electronics are a result of a weak 12V (small) battery. (I have installed the after market 12V higher amp batteries for about $150 ea., in the 02 and 04 cars, and don't use Toyota batteries)....never had issues since. .....The standard tires are designed for high gas mileage(low rolling resistance).....not going through snow, so I use "all weather" tires, and solved the "lack of traction in snow" issues.... ....These are small economy cars, not a BMW or Lexus, so you get what your buying...a small light weight car.... But there is excellent space in both front AND rear seating...love the rear hatch and fold down rear seats in the 04 and later Prius's....The trunk space in the 02 is OK, but not large....may sound weird but the 02 seems to have a little better ride, than later Prius's. ....The 02 (first generation Prius was actually sold in Japan for several years before ever coming to the US, so the 02 is not a "new design"...The 02 is more conventional in the design of the HVAC and radio controls, than later model that have gone to all electronic controls...but both work without any issues.... There isn't much difference in gas mileage in all three years...about 45 to 50 mpg in summer, near 39-40 in winter(because the gas engine runs more to provide hot water for the cars heater).... The 04 and 08 have a bit more road noise than the 02....Because of the open rear cab and hatch door...needs some insulation in rear axle area (which I will do when I have time)........ I don't feel there's any more wind or control at highway speed issues, and most other small cars. (had many)..... No problems with engine, transmission, brakes, suspensions, wipers, radio, air cond, or heater, etc..... in any of the three. The 08 recently purchased seems a little more "refined" and is a little smoother driving...the interior finishes are better (more durable) in the 08 than the 04. (but the 02 is better than the 04 too)....AND love the "smart" key !!! with automatic locks, and unlock...back up camera and navigation are fun toys...I could go on and on...will probably have a Prius for ever....."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo...

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted