• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000
2005 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

Great Car!

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I researched for 1.5 years for a new or a reliable small car. The Prius was more costly than other cars, but its reliability, gas efficiency and roominess compensates for it. When I first looked at the Prius, I hated the styling, but now I just love it. The 2006 interiors are 6" longer than previous Prius years. The back seat accomodates people 6 feet and taller easily--something important for me with budding teenage boys in a family of tall people. You have to learn how to drive this car! It cannot be driven like gasoline only cars. Learn how to maximize the efficiency by monitoring the consumption screen when first driving. Also, do buy the extended warranty. The battery is guaranteed for 8 years, but the standard car warranty is important to cover the cost of those expensive non-Toyota made electronics and the transmission should it fail ($10K to repair). Yes, the reliability is there, and I've had great success, but there is always one bad apple. I miss the luxury of my Jeep Laredo, and it would be nice to have a more plush and better overall interior. It is adequate, but not as nice as it could be. Many friends who have Prius models state the same. I love not only the gas mileage, but the super-quick fill up at the pump. I can come, pay and leave while the SUV next to me is still filling. The trunk/hatch is very roomy for a small car. After looking at small car trunks and other hatches like the PT cruiser, it is a dream. The back seats and front passenger seat fold down to accomodate longer items. I can fit 3 suitcases, a tent, 3 sleeping bags and misc other items, and on shopping day, all those grocery bags fit beautifully in the hatchback. BTW, do get the rear hatch net and the rear bumper applique. I don't like the ventilation system, and rate it fair for clearing foggy windows on rainy days. AC/heat are great. The kiddos love the car with its roominess, arm rest and all those cup holders. Its narrow body is desirable for city lot parking, and it does not feel narrow inside. Another plus for me is the high-feeling seating. After downsizing from high-riding jeep, it is nice to sit higher than other small cars. Low carriage, especially in the front is an adjustment. There is a nasty blind spot on the front right when turning left into traffic. The rear backup camera is a necessity. All in all, I love this car. It is a hybrid, so if you are looking for a great family or commuter car it's perfect. If you are looking for a high performance car, look elsewhere for a sports car."

Affordable Mobility

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"I purchsed this vehicle towards the end of 2006. I beleive this was the best car purchase I have ever made. It is by far the most fuel efficient car I have ever owned. I regularly get mileage between 48 and 53. In the winter my mileage can drop to about 44, but in the summer my mileage can be as high as 78! The interior material's quality is fair. The dual glove compartment is a nice feature. The rear seat has very little head room, and I don't recommend sitting there if you are 6'+. The trunk is quite generous, featuring a hidden lockable cargo compartment. The smart entry system with push button start is fantastic! The touch screen can become full of fingerprints, especially when you use the bluetooth and navigation functions frequently. The back-up camera provides a nice view behind the car, but needs to be frequently cleaned in winter. Getting on the freeway isn't a problem. Initial power is lagging, but becomes better once you reach 25 mph. After you reach 55 mph, you can only stare at the digital speedometer inch slower and slower. I'm not a power person, though. Every car I have ever owned has been an economy car. In city driving, I regularly start out on all electric power, followed by a mix when driving 25+ mph. I love the outside appearance. It may be "different" but it screams me! I often get stares from people driving faster than the speed limit in huge SUVs, giving me a look that says "What is that?" It's way better looking than the monster you're driving that wastes most of its fuel fighting the air. My last point is comfort. Another place I thought they could have done better. My normal daily commute is fine, but on long trips, can be incredibly uncomfortable. On a trip from my home to Cincinnati, I was fine for the first hour or so, but, after that, I had to pull over at arest stop due to extreme discomfort. The lack of padding is defineitely noticeable on long trips. Overall I am extremely pleased with this purchase, and feel that it would be the ultimate car if all the problems listed were addressed."

Excellent car.

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "traction starting out from a stop in winter"

"Overall, it's a wonderfully comfortable and economic car. A couple of things to keep in mind, however. Shortly after buying ours used, we had to replace the 12-volt battery, which was very expensive. It had a dead cell. So when taking a Prius for a test drive, try starting it by pressing the start button without putting your foot on the brake. If it has a battery with a dead cell, the battery will immediately drain and the car will shut down, and the dealership will have to jump it, and put in a new battery for you. The only other thing that we've experienced is the poor front-wheel traction when starting out on ice or significant snow. I'd recommend putting on snow tires in the winter, which has helped my wife a lot, and she no longer complains so it has helped me a lot as well. Last remark, the mileage depends greatly on the driver, driving habits, and on the outside temperature. In summer, I regularly get 50 mpg in town and 48 to 52 mpg on the highway; in Jan. and Feb. it goes down about 10 mpg."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted