• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2005 Toyota Prius

Based on 777 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Disappointing

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "Toyota quality and reliability"

Cons: "Low mpg, poor handling, visibility"

"All in all, the 2007 Prius has been a big disappointment. (1) Very disappointing gas mileage: it averages 38 mpg in mostly high speed highway driving. That's just not good enough. My old 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S got 32 mpg, and was very fun to drive. (2) The Prius handles very poorly in high front and cross winds: it wants to wander and weave way too much for comfort on these poor old rutted Texas things they jokingly call roads. Increasing the tire pressure to 42 psi on new Michelin Defenders may help. (3) Poor visibility: the super-streamlined design makes it way too difficult to see to the right side and to the rear. Then there's that idiotic bar in the middle of the rear window to try to through. (4) Ridiculously low ground clearance and the disappeared hood: Good grief folks, you can't see a thing down there, so watch out for those concrete parking structures! (5) Very poor headlights, the worst I've ever experienced: they were so bad I installed high intensity bulbs. Then, when that wasn't enough, I installed fog lights. Then, when that wasn't enough, I had the lights adjusted upward to the point where it bothers some oncoming drivers. But at least now I can see a reasonable distance ahead and to the right as I make right- hand turns on dark nights. (6) Finally, it's very disappointing because I stupidly paid a Toyota dealer way too much for this used car in 2012 and now owe the bank almost $14,000 for a car that may be worth half that much if I were to trade it in. Other than all that, and the fact that it needs a new radio that has USB and the capability to all the play various music formats, it's a comfortable, roomy car that is really boring to drive."

I "live" in my car - still love it!

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "mileage, reliable, snappy look."

Cons: "ride - you feel the road"

"I drive for a living, so mileage is critical. When you're getting 44 MPG, gas prices aren't even a concern. Love the braking feature on the transmission - saves gas and brakes. It's not the smoothest or the quietest, but I'm happy with it. I have it serviced regularly, and at 128,000 miles I'm going to keep it until one of us dies!"

I'm 72. This is the best car I've ever had.

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

"Like the way it drives and that the mileage to the gallon of gas is so good."

First car I have ever loved

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, reliability"

Cons: "road noise, cornering"

"Great mileage and drop dead reliability, combined with few real compromises, make the Prius the finest car I have ever owned."

This is truly a remarkable vehicle!

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "You can't go wrong. Mileage is only one factor."

"We bought the Prius pre-retirement with no real intention in mind of how might use the car in the long term. We had rented one in Florida on a vacation and were pleased with is performance and this made an impression when we bought the car. Over the past 6 years, we've only driven 60K. During this period, except for the replacement of the 12 battery and tires, we've had no significant repairs. The car is comfortable and reliable. In fact, we've driven the car across country where we've experienced all types of weather during the past year. We expect to drive back to California within the next two months. I do believe this is the best, most reliable car I've ever owned."