2004 Toyota Prius

Based on 875 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Awesome and reliable

By on Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, easy to drive, comfortable, safe"

Cons: "shaky in severely cold weather, loud on highway."

"I purchased my cousin's 2006 Prius a year ago, and I couldn't love it more! It has around 87,000 miles on it and it's reliable, and amazing in the Colorado weather. My cousin lived in a mountain/college town and used it in the snow, and I live in a bigger city here where they rarely plow the streets and I have had no problems in the snow (and I need new tires.) My only complaint is that when it gets really cold it sometimes needs a jump (which can be a pain) but that has only happened twice when it got below 0 degrees at night. It's reliable, easy to drive, has an awesome sound system, is great in any kind of weather and has a fantastic turning radius; it's also comfortable (but a little loud) on the highway and gets excellent gas mileage in the city. Typically in a Prius, in order to get the best mileage, you want to drive where there is very little stop and go (but not quite highway driving) and I was able to get it up to 65 mpg when I was commuting to work. However, I now drive a short distance in a completely stop and go route, and I still get over 50 mpg. It's had no problems and has never needed more than basic service. I would recommend this car to anyone who doesn't want an SUV, and wants a reliable and trusted vehicle that is eco friendly (not completely eco friendly, but at least making a difference.) It also holds its value extremely well because it's a Toyota (mine is still worth $11,500) Good luck!!"

7 years old and still strong

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "MPG, very reliable, spacious"

Cons: "rear window visibility, not the most fun to drive"

"I inherited my 2006 Prius from my parents about 1 year ago. My mom had put about 110k miles on it in 6 years, but it still runs very well despite her tendencies to have a lead foot. I average about 50 mpg overall, and I love that about this car, but fuel economy does dip quite a bit in the cold of winter. The drop in mpg can be as much as 15-20% if it's REALLY cold. But in the summer, I can average 51-53 mpg. There have been no major repairs or replacements in the vehicle since it was purchased, and that includes the brakes. At the 120,00 mile maintenance check,the mechanic said he has only replaced brakes on a Prius a few times, and that they don't need to be replaced until after 200,000 miles as long as we're not talking about excessive wear. I definitely plan to keep my Prius to 200,000 miles. There have been a couple recalls with this vehicle. One was a small piece in the steering column that Toyota decided wasn't up to par, and the other was part of the cooling system for the electric motor. Two recalls (Toyota paid for these recalls of course) and no major repairs in 7 years = great reliability to me. The only other issues we've had are with the electrical system in the car. The radio volume nob shorts out sometimes (but the steering wheel volume control still works so I just use that), and the headlights seem to die sooner than they normally should, but these are minor issues. If I have to replace one headlight ever year or so, that's $60 extra per year. No big deal. Also, the batteries in the car are the factory batteries. Needing to replace the batteries after just a few years of use was a concern when this 2nd generation Prius arrived, but those concerns haven't proved true. I don't see them needing replacement for a long time. Wind noise and tire noise can be pronounced at times, but it doesn't really bother me as a young person. Just putting on different tires can make a big difference in tire noise. Another negative about this vehicle is the visibility out the rear window. I am used to it, and the backup camera really helps. But still, even a Chevy Aveo hatchback (which I drove in high school) has much better rear visibility. This car is not the most fun to drive, but then again it is about as far from a sports car as possible. Acceleration isn't great with the 1.5L 4 cylinder gas engine, but that's ok for me. I like saving money on gas. Going up steep hills makes the small engine work decently hard, and the continuously variable transmission (CVT) makes lots of noise going uphill. I've become accustomed to it, so it's not a concern for me. I really like the amount of space I have in my Prius, especially considering its fuel efficiency. The trunk is roomy, and the rear seats fold down flat, so cargo space increases dramatically. Overall, I love this car for its efficiency and spaciousness. I plan to keep it for many more years."

Pros and Cons

By on Sunday, July 12, 2009

"I am 63 years old and parked a Harley Softtail for this car. I am a meachanic by trade and this review is for my 2007 Prius touring. I have put 33,000 trouble free miles on this car. My average MPG has been an impresssive 45.7. I know some say they are getting 50 and better. To get the good gas milage you do have to change your driving style. I have found that a crawling start does not do as well as if you get it up to speed and put on the cruise control. It also helps to let off the gas as soon as you know you are going to have to stop. Anyway the pros for this car are the obvious great gas milage. As I have said I have had no problems with my car. The quality of the way it is put together is goodl The standard features such as the power door locks and windows ect. is good. The technical side of this car is outstanding and will not go into that here. When I wear this one out I will get another one. On the con side. This is an ugly car. The interior looks cheap and has alot of plastic that scratches way to easily. But there are ways to overcome this. I've added stainless trim pieces around the side windows and wheel wells. I've got the touring package so I had 16" wheels which by the way helps alot for the cars driveability. The 15 inch wheels gives the car that baby buggy ride and feel. The touring package also has a better suspension for handling. My steering is very quick and handling is precise. Although my wife says it rides to hard for her I find it to be smooth and quiet. Also there are wood trim kits for the dash and door panels that help to cover up the cheap look of the interior. I did alot of research and drove alot of hybrids before I bought this car. Toyota is way ahead of everyone in this field. As I said I will buy another one if something better doesn't come along. I hope this has helped you in some way. Thanks for reading this."

Helping Save the World

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"We've had our Prius for over 2 yrs now. We had a bum battery upon delivery, which was correctly quickly. Since then, absolutely reliable. I tend to drive longer distances, and got on a recent business trip about 55.6 from Western PA to New York area. Probably in the high 40's on the return (it's uphill that way, isn't it?) My wife can get around 40mpg around the neighborhood, which is quite hilly. But it averages about 20mpg up a long hill near home - which is better than our Jeep Cherokee did on the downhill. ;) We did not go for the upgraded electronics in 2005 so miss the gps features, etc. I'm 6'4" and am quite comfortable. And the back seat has WAY more leg room than aforementioned Jeep Grand Cherokee. We've now got a sister and a nephew who have Priusized, trying to emulate us."

The best car I have ever owned or driven

By on Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Pros: "Bigger inside & trunk than you think! Quiet & MPG!"

Cons: "I hate the Touch screen & Climate Control"

"A cars' purpose is to get me from point A to point B. I like it when it is done cheaply, safely, environmentally friendly as possible, and with out any hassles and in comfort. My 2009 Prius does that all the time. We've taken 4 adults and a 55 pound dog from Tucson to San Redlands, CA, 450 miles, and it was as comfortable as any sedan trip of that length could be. Doing 65 - 80 MPH while getting over 45 MPG was amazing. After that rental car trip, I bought my Prius. Living in the DC area with the Nation's 2nd worst traffic, it's legendary stop & go, makes driving as easy and cheap as it could be. In fact, one pleasant bonus of my many traffic crawls home, was I got over 65 MPG, even if my average speed was that of a person galloping on horseback! You are foolish if a Prius is not at least on your "Strongly Consider" list for your next car. I have 2 complaints: > Why does everyone think a Prius is an expensive car? > I hate automatic climate control and having to use the touch video screen for everything. It's distracting, and in bright sunlight, sometimes impossible to see."