2003 Toyota Prius

Based on 136 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Luv MY Prius

By on Friday, December 05, 2008

"I truly love my Prius.. I have no major issues with this car. There are a few things you should consider before buying one (any year). **For Parents** Child car seats make putting your seat all the way back difficult (mainly a rear facing infant seat). If you have two car seats, no one could sit in the middle of them comfortably. Two rear facing infant seats and you have to pull front seats all the way up for someone to get in to back middle seat. The gas mileage IS great. It cost me $17.50 @ 1.79 a gallon to fill and I get about 38 to 41 MPG. I believe newer models are better MGP wise. I have a 2002 and have had it for 6 years now. The black on the windows tends to get rusty, you have to take care of it. My paint is still great, interior so-so (I have children), and all controls inside still working. 108,000miles on it now. Test drive it - Really! Hybrids make lots of noise when 'on' and if you are not use to them, it can scare you when they are 'off' at stop lights et. Once you have one you will not want to lose it!!!"

Reliable, Gas Saver, Roomy

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"I agree with the other reviewers: this Prius is surprisingly roomy, and very reliable. The only downside is styling, there is nothing fancy about this car. Unless you consider the standard LCD screen, which most people riding in my car for the first time think is super high-tech. I've gotten an average of 36-42 MPG over the last 5 years, and I drive aggresively (hard starts and stops) and use the A/C a lot. The car has held it's value very well, and has spoiled me with everything I get to take for granted: riding in the carpool lane by myself, great gas mileage, no car repair bills, 6-CD in-dash player. I love the tight turning radius, the few blind spots due to the generously-sized windows, the easy to read center-mounted digital speedometer, and the roomy cockpit."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Short trips, long trips, it doesn't matter. It is a real joy to drive! New Goodyear tires at 30,000, slightly oversized, really make the car hug the road in turns. If you don't exceed speed limits your mileage is excellent but if you insist on driving 75 mph or more and you really start to take a mileage hit. Even with gas prices above $3.00 I find that I consistently spend only 8 cents per mile for fuel. I find that statistic much more useful than tracking MPG. Purchased new in 2003 - zero problems. Always do suggested maintenance."

Love this car!

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "does everything it needs to"

Cons: "no hatch back"

"I bought this car new, just before the 2nd generation came out. Perhaps I should've waited a few months, because having a hatchback and all would be great. However, the 1st generation has done a brilliant job. I'm still getting 50 mpg and have had very few maintenance issues. Very very happy!"

Great Vehicle.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"Bought as a total back in 2004, put humpty dumpty back together again and its a jem. So far in the 8 years owning it just maintenance, brakes, tires,oil changes every 5,000 miles etc..."

An excellent car -- 186,000 miles and still going

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage, handling, standard features"

Cons: "Needs snow tires in the winter."

"I purchased this car new in 2002 and have put 186,000 miles on it at of January, 2012. It's MPG performance is great, though it has dropped a bit as the car aged. For the first 100,000 miles we averaged around 40 mpg (which is what it was rated); in the past two years this has dropped to around 34 -- higher in the summer, lower in the winter (we live in Buffalo, NY). It drives like a dream -- very tight turning circle, good acceleration, handles well on street or highway. It does require snow tires in the winter, however -- but with them it does just fine."

Love my PRIUS!

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "40 mpg in town and 44 mpg HWY"

Cons: "its really tiny and wont pull a boat;)"

"I brought my 03 PRIUS used with 117k last year and have put over 30k miles in the last year, with the gas savings alone I could have practically bought another!! Obviously the design and comfort is not that of a luxury vehicle but the savings out weigh that in my book plus the green points you gain in others eyes make it just about as cool as driving a BMW:) or at least I feel that way!! It is small enough to fit in any parking spot and really pretty comfortable for a economy model. I bought this model because of all of the reviews of each year since the car was put into production it seemed like this one had the least reported problems. My mom also has an 03 Prius that she has put 420k miles (and still going!) on and literally never had to do anything other than oil changes and tires until 350k and since then she has put new brakes and about $300 worth of misc fixes so I feel like I will get my money out of my little guy!!"

Great car!

By on Thursday, July 30, 2009

"The car handles well, accelerates quickly, has plenty of room for passengers and luggage. Visibility is good, reliability is great EXCEPT that in desert driving I had to replace the main battery once already three years ago and the replacement is needing to be replaced. Fortunately it's covered by the manufacturer's warranty. The seat is not the most comfortable for long road trips, but is more than adequate for commuting to work. I've driven the newer wedge-shaped models and still prefer my original classic Prius. I love this car and highly recommend it!"

Whata car!

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I own six vehicles and this is by far my favorite car. After 6 months to order and 7 years of ownership, I'm not ready to give it up...yet. Avg mileage city summer = 39. Avg mileage city winter = 41. Best highway mileage extended trip = 47. Longest trip between fillups = LA to Vegas and back."

MY car

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I leased this car new in 2003 and bought it once the lease was up. The first thing I had to do was learn to drive a little differently to get the most milage. The room inside is what surprises most people. Four large adults fit comfortably with plenty of leg room. Any problems I have had have been minimal and covered by warrenty. I don't want to ever give it up. I average 38 MPG in the winter and 45MPG in the summer."

Excellent

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "Durability, gas mileage, comfort, ease of use"

Cons: "Tire wear, stability at higher speed"

"Our Prius is going on 10 years and we haven't had any major issue; on a new technology vehicle like first gen Priuses, it is pretty amazing. Batteries were changed under warranty by Toyota and the car keeps on going with the same great gas mileage!"

Favorite car I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, easy to manuever, excellent stereo."

Cons: "Light for snow or rain and heavy wind."

"This has been a reliable, easy to drive car. Gas mileage is excellent, ergonomics perfect for me. Better dashboard design than later models. Not great in snow, it's a small light car."

Nice car, but not worth the extra money

By on Saturday, May 22, 2010

"The Prius is a great car. Gas mileage only improved with additional miles (get almost 55 mpg at times). However, between the additional initial cost of the vehicle, and the incredible costs of repairing ANYTHING hybrid related, you will NEVER make back the extra cost in gas savings. As you continue to drive more miles, the hybrid components that need to be repaired and/or replaced keep increasing. Have 300k miles on this one, and needs over $15k in repairs (new hybrid battery, etc.). Buy a comparable Corolla for $6-8k, and between lower initial cost, and lower repair costs, you will save significant $$$ in the long run. It's a pretty nice car otherwise. Though the 2001 is somewhat anemic in the "pep" department."

Everything I asked for

By on Monday, October 19, 2009

"I wanted a comfortable, easy-to-own, high-mileage vehicle that made me feel good about my "carbon footprint." I bought this car in 2003 and have not had a minute's trouble with it. I have replaced only the battery and the tires (which I would do with any car) and it runs like a top. Still gets 46-48 miles/gallon. Great!"

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"An excellent car all around. Get lower gas mileage than most since I live in SF and am always going up and down hills - range around 39 to 42 - if I do a lot of freeway driving it gets better mileage. The tires pick up nails easily. I figure it is a heavy car. I had a strange problem with the 'starter' battery as it lost juice when I left the car unused for over a week and a half. Other than these problems, it is a great car, easy to drive, good pickup, quiet. Can't work on it yourself. Low emissions. I have a 2003."

An excellent hybid car

By on Saturday, August 09, 2008

"I've driven my Prius 110,000 miles so far. I have not had a problem that required me to have any mechanic - be he the independent or Toyota dealer mechanic - look at my car. Now, that's good! Normal maintenance is the same for this car as it is for any car; change transmission fluid, change coolant fluids (engine and inverter), brake fluid and that's it! Brake pads still have a long way to go before replacement. The only thing that I have found odd: I have had to replace the tires twice. The original tires lasted 40k miles; the first replacements lasted 38k miles; the current tires have 29k miles and I estimate replacing them in another 20k miles. My lifetime gas mileage is 46.5 mpg. This car is phenomenal! When the plug-in model is released, I plan to trade my 2002 Prius in for that model."

Perfect Car

By on Monday, October 01, 2007

"I bought mine new in early 2003 and it has about 46,000 miles on it. Toyota recalled a computer and replaced mine for free, but I've never had a single problem with the car. Pickup is terrific and the turning radius is teeny. I also like having a sedan with a trunk. Plus I can get into the tiniest spaces that most other cars don't fit. The gas mileage isn't quite as good as the newer models. Around town I average about 39 to 42. I get better mileage on the highway - upper 40s. That's not what Toyata predicts, but it is what happens with mine. You'll never regret getting one!"

Love My Prius

By on Thursday, September 20, 2007

"I've been at the wheel of seven cars -- including an '04 Honda Civic and an '07 Acura TL -- and my '02 Prius is still my favorite car to drive! It's not fancy, but it doesn't have to be. It rides smoothly and comfortably at all speeds, handles tightly and stops on a dime when it has to. This car has had a couple of owners before me (according to Carfax) and it still looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. When people ask me what I dislike most about it, I say "the cup holders" because that's seriously my biggest complaint! (Be careful with your drinks...) I will probably drive this car until the wheels fall off, and even then, I'll just look forward to getting a brand new Prius."

Love this car

By on Saturday, September 15, 2007

"I love this car. I only have to fill up the gas tank once every 6 weeks! Perfect for those of us that hate pumping gas!!!"

AWESOME, BEAUTIFUL, SAFE, ECONOMICAL

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"After just a few months with it I have put 3162 miles on it. My car is averaging at 40 mpg. I had previously owned an Accord. Now that I have my car I think I hate my Accord. Buy this car. GOOD JOB TOYOTA."

Toyota Hybrids for Life!!!

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and easy to park"

"I currently have 191,000 plus miles and the car has been terrific. I drive 80 highway miles daily to work and it has never put me down. Didnt change brake pads until 110,000 miles. Changed small battery twice and once under warranty. It recently started cutting off every 20 minutes of driving and discovered it was the main hybrid battery after taking it to 2 toyota dealers. The first dealer could not figure out the problem and after letting the car sit for a year at home i took it to a second dealer in memphis, tn and they discovered the main hybrid battery was bad. Spent a total of $3500 for the battery and labor it is running like a new car. I also had to change the 4 spark plug coil wires and plugs when the car had a miss in the motor. I thought for a minute that it was the motor going bad after spending all that money on the hybrid battery.However, I have put another 900 miles since and have had no more problems. I purchase a 2011 Prius during the time i let the 2002 sit a year in the driveway. It is the package 4 with leather and all the extras. However, I enjoy driving the 2002 within the city and to work!!!"

By on Monday, July 13, 2009

"This car has been trouble free. It is solid and has a high quality feel when driving. It is silent in steath mode and drives great. I get close to 50 mpg in normal driving, but if I try I can get mid to upper 50's mpg. The car has pletty of power due to the high torque from the electric motors. The CVT transmission does not shift like most cars, adding to how smooth and quite this car is. It is hard to go wrong with a Toyota."

Great in most respects

By on Sunday, July 20, 2008

"The good: mpg winter: 42ish, mpg summer 49ish great visibility due to window configuration room for four tall adults turns on a dime The not so good: not great on winter roads w/ stock tires stock tires-Bridgestone Potenza wear fast requires minute steering corrections center console arm rest too low cupholder in back seat is an afterthought Despite its idiosynchracies, we love our Prius. It's easy to drive in the city due to its size and turning radius etc. We had an electrical drivetrain issue but it was completely covered under warranty and no problems since."

great car

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"46 mpg at 177,000. hasn't needed any major mtnc. A good ride."

Great little car -- reliable fab mileage

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Pros: "great mileage, feel good about yourself driving it"

Cons: "radio tuning not so easy -- obstructed view"

"Maintenance costs way lower than our Subaru Outback. Mileage better than advertised -- consistently about 45 in city; 50 to and from beach or NYC on highways. Three teenagers can fit in back seat. Trunk is surprisingly roomy. Love the instant feedback on leadfootedness - it gives immediate mpg indication, as well as in five minute blocks of time, plus average for trip."