• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2003 Toyota Prius

Based on 131 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Homely but very reliable

By on Saturday, September 05, 2009

"Having driven this car for nearly 9 years, I can say with absolute conviction that it is the most reliable vehicle I've ever driven or otherwise been exposed to.   Acceleration is adequate, handling is very good, but the maneuverability is outstanding. Dead reliable. Towed only once for a failed Anti-lock Braking System sensor. All other complaints were quickly and easily corrected in the first three years under warranty. First set of brakes were replaced at 83,000 miles   Fuel economy for a five passenger sedan is surpassed only by later generation models. Summer fuel economy averages 47 MPG while in winter it declines to 40 MPG due to extended warmup periods and trailblazing snow-covered streets. Invest in snow tires if you live in the snow belt -- you trade greatly improved traction for noise and a slight decline in fuel economy.   As mentioned by others, the seats are not very comfortable for long trips, but my 6'5", 260 lb. frame fits nicely into four of the five seating positions. Trunk space is adequate for groceries and weekend trips but little more. The interior has adequately resisted the abuse of a family of four and two 60 lb. dogs. All accessories function.   The exterior shows rust ONLY where collision damage had been repaired years ago. Paint is bright and clear. Exterior trim remains where is always has been. The body is tight. It exhibits no squeaks, rattles or groans.   It isn't the most attractive vehicle, but it's cute like a puggle. A used Prius of this vintage is the PERFECT pizza delivery vehicle. It's cheaper than a new economy car yet remains as reliable. It delivers much better fuel economy than current econoboxes ever could in that type of driving.   I love it and will drive it until it retires."

My dream car, and it's 5 years old!

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I bought a 2002 Prius used in 2005 and it is still my dream car. Extremely comfortable for 4 adults even though it looks small on the outside. Definitely fast enough to survive on freeways. I get about 45 mpg in the city and 40 with fast highway driving. Outstanding reliability. Only problem was one day my navigation system stopped working. Took it to the dealer and all they had to do was reboot / reinstall the DVD, which they did at no cost at all(this was not a dealer that sold me the car, by the way). One downside is storage: though the trunk is very roomy for a hybrid car, the rear seats do not fold down. Redesigning the Prius (in 04 I think) as a hatchback was a good idea. I put on a roof rack to handle any larger items, and I still get the milage I mentioned above. I would highly recommend this car to anyone and if it ever dies, I will replace it with another Prius without any hesitation."

Only hybrids in my future

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"As Consumer Reports notes, realistic gas mileage is NOT as displayed on the maufacturer's stickers (standard EPA tests). I've average 43 mpg over 70,0000 miles. That about 60% city and 40% highway. Also highway is routinely better than city mileage. It's seldom mentioned but I think it's important to note that the mileage display plays an important role in changing your driving habits. I drive slower; I drive more safely; I drive more fuel efficiently. Just because I can see the mileage change in real time I think about what I'm trying to achieve (get somewhere in time) and I routinely modify the way I drive to include fuel efficiency. I'll never drive a lower MPG car again."

Great in warm weather, not in cold

By on Friday, January 16, 2009

"We are the original owners of our 2003 Prius. It is an excellent spring, summer and fall car. However, it's a lousy winter car in Wisconsin. To run the heater in the winter, it requires running the gas engine (instead of the nice balance of battery/gas engine) so the fuel economy suffers. Instead of the 48 mpg in good weather, the winter mpg is in the neighborhood of 36 mpg. And forget about performance on snowy or icy roads! It's awful! The light weight that is wonderful for fuel efficiency in good weather is a severe disadvantage in winter."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Short trips, long trips, it doesn't matter. It is a real joy to drive! New Goodyear tires at 30,000, slightly oversized, really make the car hug the road in turns. If you don't exceed speed limits your mileage is excellent but if you insist on driving 75 mph or more and you really start to take a mileage hit. Even with gas prices above $3.00 I find that I consistently spend only 8 cents per mile for fuel. I find that statistic much more useful than tracking MPG. Purchased new in 2003 - zero problems. Always do suggested maintenance."

By on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Bought this vehicle used in 2004 and found it to live up to the MPG promises. Only problem was a computer chip issue that was replaced by Toyota at no charge! This was in 2008 and they instructed the dealer to provide a loaner. You expect the dealer to offer good service, but the manufacturer? Toyota and it's dealers are about service. The reliability of this vehicle has made me a Toyota customer for life. Never got such good service and affordable maintenance from any other car maker."

Caution

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"We've owned a 02 model for 4 years. Almost all parts for the car have to be bought from the Toyota dealer, no auto parts stores carry anything for it. To replace the starter battery was a little over $300. It doesn't take long to eat up any savings you get on the gas milage. We've had 2 major electrical malfunctions with the car that needed to be fixed by Toyota. Has not been a very reliable car for us. The car only has 64,000 miles on it. For gas milage its great-for reliability be very cautious."

2002 PRIUS

By on Tuesday, May 04, 2010

"This is our first Prius.... Bought the 2002 for my son going to college. I have just driven it on a 800 mile trip...and am I impressed...Got 47 mpg overall (70 mph)....and was surprisingly comfortable for three....I read up on the 1st version of the Prius and discovered about the larger battery (for starting engine), and installed it right away. ....Haven't had ANY problems since we bought the car last fall...love all the toys, compass, outside temp, cruise, LCD touch display, etc... So...I just bought a 2008 Prius for the wife...I'm an engineer and really see that this is one ingeniously designed car....all cars in the future will be hybrids"

Luv MY Prius

By on Friday, December 05, 2008

"I truly love my Prius.. I have no major issues with this car. There are a few things you should consider before buying one (any year). **For Parents** Child car seats make putting your seat all the way back difficult (mainly a rear facing infant seat). If you have two car seats, no one could sit in the middle of them comfortably. Two rear facing infant seats and you have to pull front seats all the way up for someone to get in to back middle seat. The gas mileage IS great. It cost me $17.50 @ 1.79 a gallon to fill and I get about 38 to 41 MPG. I believe newer models are better MGP wise. I have a 2002 and have had it for 6 years now. The black on the windows tends to get rusty, you have to take care of it. My paint is still great, interior so-so (I have children), and all controls inside still working. 108,000miles on it now. Test drive it - Really! Hybrids make lots of noise when 'on' and if you are not use to them, it can scare you when they are 'off' at stop lights et. Once you have one you will not want to lose it!!!"

Reliability Defined

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"As my Prius with 73,000 miles approaches its 7th anniversary, I consider how remarkably well this car looks and runs with so little required maintenance. Mechanically, the car remains tight and just as much fun to drive as it was initially. Fuel economy improvements continue as we still learn more about how to exploit its capabilities. Despite daily battles with a pair of mutts in the back seat, the interior is only now starting to show its age with a couple of small punctures in the seat cushions. Paint is still glossy and clean. Rust spots appear ONLY where collision repair work was performed. I downgraded the comfort rating because, despite the fact that my 6'5", 260lb. frame fits in the driver seat. 2 hour and longer trips require effort and frequent stops to relieve mild back aches due to seats designed for smaller folks. As a used car, this is the ULTIMATE pizza delivery vehicle - clean, quiet, maneuverable and fuel efficient."