2003 Toyota Prius

Based on 131 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

It will be hard to move on, even to an all-EV

By on Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Pros: "Doing your bit to lessen pollution"

Cons: "Still have an internal combustion engine"

"I ordered my 2002 Prius in Aug. of 2001 & picked it up at the dealership in Dec. 2001, so we're going on our 14th year. She's been a terrific car, fun to drive, good in the snow (Colorado, you know) and easy on my wallet. It's not just the low gas usage or the added zoom with the electric motor overdrive on acceleration, it's those magical times when you're sitting in gridlock and there's no engine noise whatsoever because it's gone into "sleep mode" or when you're creeping at 20mph in traffic or going faster on a long downward incline and only the electric motor is moving the car. You're not only NOT using gas, you're not putting out any emissions at all. I did have new-Prius envy for those later model owners with hatchback cargo room and rear cameras. Now I'm envying Nissan Leaf owners with the same accoutrements and no oil changes or even infrequent gas fill-ups and absolutely no polluting emissions. I've bought tires a couple times, replaced wipers, a headlight, the gas cap, and the 12v battery pack a couple times. The big battery, the one that runs the electric motor, is still functioning. I only have 78,500 miles on this vehicle (I don't do more than commute to work or tool around town and I've only gone up into the mountains a few times, until traffic on those mountain roads just got ridiculous). If you can't afford an all electric, Prius is the next best thing."

best vehicle I ve ever owned

By on Friday, March 06, 2015

"Bought it used very cheap, runs great, excellent in snow even with old tires .Very quiet, almost 50miles a gallon in the city. Love the interior and exterior and I think my next car will be Toyota too."

Have absolutely loved my original Prius.

By on Saturday, February 07, 2015

Pros: "roomy back seat, great gas mileage"

Cons: "not a sporty ride, has trouble going uphill"

"I was 17 when I bought my Prius and loved the "new" hybrid technology. Over the years, they have changed the car from a sedan look to a hatchback to something unrecognizable. I've always enjoyed scooting around Los Angeles and being able to fit in any compact spot. My car is getting on the older side now and I'm having a hard time deciding what can take my Prius's place."

Best car I ever bought

By on Monday, January 12, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, economic, roomy, good trunk space"

Cons: "Design was discontinued! Too bad!"

"I bought this second hand 13 years ago ... and I have never been unhappy with the purchase. Still getting over 42 mpg ave year round. I paid the car off early by routing gas savings to the payments. I live on a dirt road in Vermont ... the extra weight of the car is a real benefit in the winter ... though it does mean the tires wear faster than "regular" cars. But the gas savings have always more than compensated for that. I love my little car. I meet others with the same model around town and we all have nothing but good things to say. I am sad the design changed ... this model looked like a regular car and not the "turtle" look of the newer Prius."

No way I will go back to not Hibrids.

By on Saturday, December 27, 2014

Pros: "great car."

Cons: "would like to have space for fog lights."

"This car make me happy with the interior space as well as the development on the road and the city. Great car, my only regret is that I did not buy before. I just get a second one. And still using this one."

Most reliable batteries

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Quite small and therefore easy to park."

Cons: "Not very high horsepower."

"I am totally impressed that the original 220 volt battery lasted 13 years before giving out. The 12 volt battery lasted 11 years. That never happened on any other car I've owned. After all these years, gas mileage is still in the upper 30's when I am the driver (low 30's if it's my husband)."

Excellent shape mechanically. Body could use work

By on Monday, November 10, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, great sound system"

Cons: "body needs work"

"Car is in great mechanical shape. Clean interior, but exterior definitely shows age. Great gas mileage...over 40mpg!"

A Real Creampuff

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Pros: "Terrific turning radius, easy to drive"

Cons: "I'd like a little larger space in drivers seat"

"I have loved driving this car for 12 years. The maintenance is affordable, & the only major thing that went wrong was a fuel injector problem which appeared on a service bulletin. When I insisted that Toyota pay for the $1,300 repair, it did! AND it refunded my out-of-pocket on the diagnostic tests. Toyota really takes care of you. The only other major thing that went wrong in 12 years was the manifold needed cleaning ($600). I have replaced the small battery under the hood twice in 12 years($125 a pop). It has worked perfectly, handles like a dream, and I will never, ever go back to a full gas run car. The savings on fuel are tremendous. Even at 12 years old, I get 48 mpg in town, and way more on the highway."

Comfortable, easy to drive,navigate, handling

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Good visibility, handling, comfort. Reliable"

Cons: "It's older, doesn't get as good mpg as newer"

"I wish this car could last forever. I love the comfort, mpg, ease of navigation - secure driving, handling. Ideal car for a couple, not so good for family. Trunk is small, but we've used similar car with smaller trunk size. Back seat equally comfortable. Newer designs not nearly as good for seats, vision."

Typical Prius: Reliable; 37 MPG; New battery

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "Great price; extremely reliable; great mileage."

Cons: "Wish it had only 50.000 miles on it"

"We have relied on our Prius for five years and it is still running the same as when we bought it. There has been no need for major repairs. Toyota replaced the original battery with a new one in 2008 and that made us feel secure that we would not have to come up with big money to keep it running. Our shop says the battery is just still just fine. Our Prius is in good shape. Only minor body and interior repair would be necessary to put the car in perfect condition."