2002 Toyota Prius

Based on 133 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Excellent

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "Durability, gas mileage, comfort, ease of use"

Cons: "Tire wear, stability at higher speed"

"Our Prius is going on 10 years and we haven't had any major issue; on a new technology vehicle like first gen Priuses, it is pretty amazing. Batteries were changed under warranty by Toyota and the car keeps on going with the same great gas mileage!"

Favorite car I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, easy to manuever, excellent stereo."

Cons: "Light for snow or rain and heavy wind."

"This has been a reliable, easy to drive car. Gas mileage is excellent, ergonomics perfect for me. Better dashboard design than later models. Not great in snow, it's a small light car."

Nice car, but not worth the extra money

By on Saturday, May 22, 2010

"The Prius is a great car. Gas mileage only improved with additional miles (get almost 55 mpg at times). However, between the additional initial cost of the vehicle, and the incredible costs of repairing ANYTHING hybrid related, you will NEVER make back the extra cost in gas savings. As you continue to drive more miles, the hybrid components that need to be repaired and/or replaced keep increasing. Have 300k miles on this one, and needs over $15k in repairs (new hybrid battery, etc.). Buy a comparable Corolla for $6-8k, and between lower initial cost, and lower repair costs, you will save significant $$$ in the long run. It's a pretty nice car otherwise. Though the 2001 is somewhat anemic in the "pep" department."

Everything I asked for

By on Monday, October 19, 2009

"I wanted a comfortable, easy-to-own, high-mileage vehicle that made me feel good about my "carbon footprint." I bought this car in 2003 and have not had a minute's trouble with it. I have replaced only the battery and the tires (which I would do with any car) and it runs like a top. Still gets 46-48 miles/gallon. Great!"

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"An excellent car all around. Get lower gas mileage than most since I live in SF and am always going up and down hills - range around 39 to 42 - if I do a lot of freeway driving it gets better mileage. The tires pick up nails easily. I figure it is a heavy car. I had a strange problem with the 'starter' battery as it lost juice when I left the car unused for over a week and a half. Other than these problems, it is a great car, easy to drive, good pickup, quiet. Can't work on it yourself. Low emissions. I have a 2003."