• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2002 Toyota Prius

Based on 122 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Great Vehicle.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"Bought as a total back in 2004, put humpty dumpty back together again and its a jem. So far in the 8 years owning it just maintenance, brakes, tires,oil changes every 5,000 miles etc..."

very safe, stable, reliable, inexpensive

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "safe, inexpensive, reliable"

"I have very much liked having this Prius as my car, it gets me everywhere I want, no mechanical problems, has never let me down."

I love my Prius!

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, gas sipper, excellent mechanics"

Cons: "basic vehicle this original year, no frills"

"An absolutely awesome car. Continues to be a great car with minimal mechanical problems over the past few years despite being over 100K. Still have the original and functioning hybrid battery component."

An excellent car -- 186,000 miles and still going

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage, handling, standard features"

Cons: "Needs snow tires in the winter."

"I purchased this car new in 2002 and have put 186,000 miles on it at of January, 2012. It's MPG performance is great, though it has dropped a bit as the car aged. For the first 100,000 miles we averaged around 40 mpg (which is what it was rated); in the past two years this has dropped to around 34 -- higher in the summer, lower in the winter (we live in Buffalo, NY). It drives like a dream -- very tight turning circle, good acceleration, handles well on street or highway. It does require snow tires in the winter, however -- but with them it does just fine."

Toyota Hybrids for Life!!!

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and easy to park"

"I currently have 191,000 plus miles and the car has been terrific. I drive 80 highway miles daily to work and it has never put me down. Didnt change brake pads until 110,000 miles. Changed small battery twice and once under warranty. It recently started cutting off every 20 minutes of driving and discovered it was the main hybrid battery after taking it to 2 toyota dealers. The first dealer could not figure out the problem and after letting the car sit for a year at home i took it to a second dealer in memphis, tn and they discovered the main hybrid battery was bad. Spent a total of $3500 for the battery and labor it is running like a new car. I also had to change the 4 spark plug coil wires and plugs when the car had a miss in the motor. I thought for a minute that it was the motor going bad after spending all that money on the hybrid battery.However, I have put another 900 miles since and have had no more problems. I purchase a 2011 Prius during the time i let the 2002 sit a year in the driveway. It is the package 4 with leather and all the extras. However, I enjoy driving the 2002 within the city and to work!!!"

very good and relaible car

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"my experience with this car has been good overall and i would do it all over again. the mpg is all that was advertised and the ride is smooth and quite good."

I love my Prius

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, reliable, satisfying to drive"

Cons: "The left door panel needs some padding for my knee"

"The car is a creampuff. Toyota made a terrific car. Even after 10 years I still get 52-54 mpg mixing freeway and town driving. The car starts every time. I've had to put very little into repairs over the years. I have never had to replace the brakes. I replaced the small battery only twice in 10 years. The interior ergonomic design is superb. The 2002 is like a modified Corolla, but I've also driven the later models which are even better, more solid and powerful. The '02 is less comfortable and roomy than the later models."

Very disappointed

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Economical, environmentally conscious, trunk space"

Cons: "A novelty, first generation, upkeep $, reliability"

"The Transmission has gone out at 136,000 miles My car lost power, would not "shift" or go into a gear where it was going anywhere. After a month at the dealership and $4500.00 in repairs (a new inverter) it was determined that the transmission was damaged and it would cost another $5000.00 to fix it. I was not willing to put $10K into a 10 year old car; I replaced the hybrid battery after 100,000 miles (for $3000) and just had the fifth set of tires put on three months ago! It is a total loss now,so they just took the $2300 inverter out and my car is worth $500 as a trade-in, after the $400.00 diagnostic bill from Toyota! Even their techs are not really sure what is wrong with it."

Excellant Car..I just love it

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "great price, great mileage andno maintainance cost"

Cons: "not enough space in trunk."

"I purchased 2002 toyota prius last year when it had 107100 mileage on it. It had no issue in last one year and gives excellent average. Superb car. It is also depends upon your driving style and maintenance. Good Luck."

Good car with minimal maintenance

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "Great mpgs, low maintenance"

Cons: "Small car issues - just like any small car"

"I have gotten approximately 49 mpg overall from this vehicle saving approximately 4,000 gallons of gas over the vehicle it replaced and 1,800 gallons over a non-hybrid similar model vehicle. The maintenance has been limited with mostly oil changes. The car still has it's original brake pads. It is currently experiencing starting issues on cold mornings and may be in need of serious repair but I am avoiding taking it in in hopes of getting a few more miles out of it before I trade it in."