2001 Toyota Prius

Based on 136 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Luv MY Prius

By on Friday, December 05, 2008

"I truly love my Prius.. I have no major issues with this car. There are a few things you should consider before buying one (any year). **For Parents** Child car seats make putting your seat all the way back difficult (mainly a rear facing infant seat). If you have two car seats, no one could sit in the middle of them comfortably. Two rear facing infant seats and you have to pull front seats all the way up for someone to get in to back middle seat. The gas mileage IS great. It cost me $17.50 @ 1.79 a gallon to fill and I get about 38 to 41 MPG. I believe newer models are better MGP wise. I have a 2002 and have had it for 6 years now. The black on the windows tends to get rusty, you have to take care of it. My paint is still great, interior so-so (I have children), and all controls inside still working. 108,000miles on it now. Test drive it - Really! Hybrids make lots of noise when 'on' and if you are not use to them, it can scare you when they are 'off' at stop lights et. Once you have one you will not want to lose it!!!"

Reliable, Gas Saver, Roomy

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"I agree with the other reviewers: this Prius is surprisingly roomy, and very reliable. The only downside is styling, there is nothing fancy about this car. Unless you consider the standard LCD screen, which most people riding in my car for the first time think is super high-tech. I've gotten an average of 36-42 MPG over the last 5 years, and I drive aggresively (hard starts and stops) and use the A/C a lot. The car has held it's value very well, and has spoiled me with everything I get to take for granted: riding in the carpool lane by myself, great gas mileage, no car repair bills, 6-CD in-dash player. I love the tight turning radius, the few blind spots due to the generously-sized windows, the easy to read center-mounted digital speedometer, and the roomy cockpit."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Short trips, long trips, it doesn't matter. It is a real joy to drive! New Goodyear tires at 30,000, slightly oversized, really make the car hug the road in turns. If you don't exceed speed limits your mileage is excellent but if you insist on driving 75 mph or more and you really start to take a mileage hit. Even with gas prices above $3.00 I find that I consistently spend only 8 cents per mile for fuel. I find that statistic much more useful than tracking MPG. Purchased new in 2003 - zero problems. Always do suggested maintenance."

Love this car!

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "does everything it needs to"

Cons: "no hatch back"

"I bought this car new, just before the 2nd generation came out. Perhaps I should've waited a few months, because having a hatchback and all would be great. However, the 1st generation has done a brilliant job. I'm still getting 50 mpg and have had very few maintenance issues. Very very happy!"

Great Vehicle.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"Bought as a total back in 2004, put humpty dumpty back together again and its a jem. So far in the 8 years owning it just maintenance, brakes, tires,oil changes every 5,000 miles etc..."

An excellent car -- 186,000 miles and still going

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage, handling, standard features"

Cons: "Needs snow tires in the winter."

"I purchased this car new in 2002 and have put 186,000 miles on it at of January, 2012. It's MPG performance is great, though it has dropped a bit as the car aged. For the first 100,000 miles we averaged around 40 mpg (which is what it was rated); in the past two years this has dropped to around 34 -- higher in the summer, lower in the winter (we live in Buffalo, NY). It drives like a dream -- very tight turning circle, good acceleration, handles well on street or highway. It does require snow tires in the winter, however -- but with them it does just fine."

Love my PRIUS!

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "40 mpg in town and 44 mpg HWY"

Cons: "its really tiny and wont pull a boat;)"

"I brought my 03 PRIUS used with 117k last year and have put over 30k miles in the last year, with the gas savings alone I could have practically bought another!! Obviously the design and comfort is not that of a luxury vehicle but the savings out weigh that in my book plus the green points you gain in others eyes make it just about as cool as driving a BMW:) or at least I feel that way!! It is small enough to fit in any parking spot and really pretty comfortable for a economy model. I bought this model because of all of the reviews of each year since the car was put into production it seemed like this one had the least reported problems. My mom also has an 03 Prius that she has put 420k miles (and still going!) on and literally never had to do anything other than oil changes and tires until 350k and since then she has put new brakes and about $300 worth of misc fixes so I feel like I will get my money out of my little guy!!"

Great car!

By on Thursday, July 30, 2009

"The car handles well, accelerates quickly, has plenty of room for passengers and luggage. Visibility is good, reliability is great EXCEPT that in desert driving I had to replace the main battery once already three years ago and the replacement is needing to be replaced. Fortunately it's covered by the manufacturer's warranty. The seat is not the most comfortable for long road trips, but is more than adequate for commuting to work. I've driven the newer wedge-shaped models and still prefer my original classic Prius. I love this car and highly recommend it!"

Whata car!

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I own six vehicles and this is by far my favorite car. After 6 months to order and 7 years of ownership, I'm not ready to give it up...yet. Avg mileage city summer = 39. Avg mileage city winter = 41. Best highway mileage extended trip = 47. Longest trip between fillups = LA to Vegas and back."

MY car

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I leased this car new in 2003 and bought it once the lease was up. The first thing I had to do was learn to drive a little differently to get the most milage. The room inside is what surprises most people. Four large adults fit comfortably with plenty of leg room. Any problems I have had have been minimal and covered by warrenty. I don't want to ever give it up. I average 38 MPG in the winter and 45MPG in the summer."