2001 Toyota Prius

Based on 118 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Excellent car to own

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "45+ MPG, low maint cosy, super reliable"

Cons: "higher initial cost when new ($25k-$30K)"

"I've had the car since new and the OEM original brakes didn't need to be touched until 120K mikes. The HV battery reconditioning I did myself for only ~1,000 but would have only cost $1,700 to have done. The car has and still does get ~45 avg MPG but can do up to 50-60 MPG if you are not in a hurry and patient. Handling is AMAZING and the car hugs the road EXTREMLY well. The body has zero rust and the interior has not one rip or tear. This car is VERY well built and was the best investment I ever made. The DVD updates for the navigation system can be gotten online for ~$100 or less as well. Oil changes and trans fluid changes (the car does need a little lifting off the ground so you can get under it) are VERY easy to do. The interior air circulation has a very easy to replace filter and the engine air filter is changeable in seconds. There is NO WAY I will ever sell this car or part with it before 250K miles!"

I love my 2002 Prius!

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "great mileage, great small size"

"Just read Ron's review and had to post our experience -- not sure what "repair people" he spoke to, but my 2002 Prius has been the best! We have 3 cars and I always choose to drive the Prius, I think because it's a great size (small car convenience with plenty of room in the back seat) and handles well. It has about 220,000 miles and we've never had any major repairs, just the usual maintenance. Our issue is that our AC went out on it at about 200k miles--debating whether to spend the $ for a diagnosis. Just because "Ron" had a problem at 100k, don't assume that another Prius will -- ours is over 200k and going strong. We still get about 40 mpg even tho I commute highway to work; get higher around town."

Absolutely great car!

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Overall, a great car & economical to run."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Bought this car used in 2005 (I think). Haven't had a bit of major trouble with it. Maintenance done regularly. It fits my style and family of two dogs. Long distance trips (over 1,000 miles) were great."

Car totally broke down at 90k miles

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "First 90k miles a delight"

Cons: "Falls apart around 100k miles"

"Afer 12 great years and 90,000 miles, car broke down in multiple systems with estimated repairs over $6,000 plus $3,500 for battery. Broke down in middle of street, very dangerous, and had to be pushed to curb then towed. Was great car, now HORRIBLE, service people told us to never buy a used 2002 as it will fall apart around 100,000 miles."

super reliable easy on gas-low maintenance

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "economical-great second car"

Cons: "no key pad with car. can purchase if desired."

"great for a second car-good for local driving and very economical."

1 of the best I ever owned

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Gets 30 mpg. All new tires October 23, 2013"

"Would recommend it to anyone. People are amazed when they find out how old it is, still gets great mileage (mostly short hops in city driving!"

Wonderful experience every time I drive!

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "Efficient, Snappy Torque, Well designed"

Cons: "None!"

"I bought this car recently with 150,000 miles, and I absolutely love it! The mileage is wonderful; 52 mpg is what I got in the summer, and now when it is colder, I'm getting 45-46 mpg. The interior is beautifully set up, although the shifter is in the way of being able to see the volume and tune button on the radio. My Prius has plenty of snap for me, making accelerations for passing and merging a breeze. The brakes are amazing: I've never driven a car with better braking control. With 150,000 miles, the shocks are a little stiff when going over bumps, and may need replacing. And the recommended oil change intervals by Toyota are great! 7,500 miles for highway driving, and 5,000 miles for city. I changed the oil, and then when there were 2,000 miles on the oil change I checked the level, and it was right to where I filled it to, and the oil was golden amber colored still! I love when I drive in all electric mode, it is even quieter than it usually is. While in electric mode, the vehicle is silent, except for a little hum from the electric motor and wind and tire noise! I highly recommend a Toyota Prius, "They make more than just a statement!""

AWESOME, BEAUTIFUL, SAFE, ECONOMICAL

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"After just a few months with it I have put 3162 miles on it. My car is averaging at 40 mpg. I had previously owned an Accord. Now that I have my car I think I hate my Accord. Buy this car. GOOD JOB TOYOTA."

2002 Prius sedan, fabulous car!

By on Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pros: "see below"

Cons: "see below"

"I have loved my Prius from day one. I average 50 mph for distance driving, and my lowest average ever (in ten and a half years) was about 44 mph when just putzing around town for weeks on end. I take excellent care of this car, don't let anyone else drive it, keep it garaged when possible, and service it on schedule with Toyota. But more than all that, it's just a GREAT CAR. I haven't had a single engine problem yet, it still looks fine and people think it's a lot newer than it is, the visibility and comfort are exceptional, the turning radius is superb, and it's just an excellent design and machine. The single problem with the car is that the front tires wear out quickly and need to be replaced too often. Also one of my window buttons wore out. Still, not bad for ten and a half years. I plan to keep this car for at least ten more years......if the Hawaii ocean winds don't rust out the body first! I'm even planning on picking up another one of this same model for my Mainland car."

Good Gas Mileage -- But is it Worth it?

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Great Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Reliability"

"I have owned this car for over 70,000 miles (now has 162,000). We purchased it for the gas mileage. We have consistently gotten around 42 mpg, which is the best feature. However, we have had to put $$$ in repairs. Charging system was replaced ($3500, not including the battery); battery ($2800); power steering pump (part of the hybrid system - $500); Steering Rack Assembly ($2800 part I found re-built); frame bolts loose ($100 to tighten--after replacing cv joints through misdiagnosis. We bought the car expecting to save money over our 20 mpg minivan. We should have kept the minivan! To be honest, though, the Toyota service people said this is not the norm for a 2002 Prius and suggested we simply purchased a lemon."

VERY DANGEROUS VEHICLE

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "NOT MANY TO MENTION"

Cons: "IT COULD KILL YOU"

"BAD STEERING ,BAD BRAKES UNRELIABLE CAR LOST STEERING PS WARNING LIGHTS ON ABS WARNING AND DEALER WON`T FIX IT TOYOTA GIVES RUNAROUND I ADVIZE PEOPLE DON`T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND POSSIBLY YOUR LIFE"

Best ever

By on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pros: "Best car I have ever owned and I've had a dozen"

Cons: "Needs new tires every year, almost."

"Ice, snow, poor visibility, deer herds, high gas prices, the Prius deals with it. For a decade I have crammed this car with dogs, kids, horse grain, groceries, landscaping plants and given it very little attention and no repairs (do replace tires every 18 months). Purchased a Prius because of zero emissions, but it has turned out to be my best performing, most economical vehicle and that's not factoring in the money saved due to the 46 mpg I get on Maine roads. Comfortable for 6-foot-2 frame, roomy enough for family, pets and stuff. Reliable and inexpensive. I have never loved a car, but may be close with this one."

Reliable comfortable and economical transportation

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Saves time by letting you into the HOV lanes."

Cons: "New main battery is ~ $3K"

"Reliable, comfortable and economical transportation for the last 150,000 miles."

11 Years of No Problems

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, high quality and fuel efficient"

Cons: "Exterior and interior on the spartan side"

"This is one of the best autos I've ever owned. Dependable, obviously fuel efficient and fun to drive, it is a high quality vehicle that is close to perfect. I should add that it is more of a workhorse than show horse, convertible roadster it is not. While cleanly attractive, there is nothing fancy or eye catching about the interior or exterior. However, for dependable, economic and comfortable transportation it simply cannot be beat."

Great car now 10 years old

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

"Our car was a total lost back in 2004. Sat for a year after only two months on the road. I bought it salvaged, figured out what kept it from running,put it in the body shop,then back on the road. Only time it failed to come home was when a wire corroded from the accident 7 yrs later. And yes I now have two, a 2010 now with 31,000 miles."

Best car I've ever owned!!

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

"Awesome car. Great mileage. Low maintenance. Will replace this Prius with another one when this one wears out. Averaged 48 mpg so far--less in winter more in summer. Ample room for 5 people."

Great Vehicle.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"Bought as a total back in 2004, put humpty dumpty back together again and its a jem. So far in the 8 years owning it just maintenance, brakes, tires,oil changes every 5,000 miles etc..."

very safe, stable, reliable, inexpensive

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "safe, inexpensive, reliable"

"I have very much liked having this Prius as my car, it gets me everywhere I want, no mechanical problems, has never let me down."

I love my Prius!

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, gas sipper, excellent mechanics"

Cons: "basic vehicle this original year, no frills"

"An absolutely awesome car. Continues to be a great car with minimal mechanical problems over the past few years despite being over 100K. Still have the original and functioning hybrid battery component."

An excellent car -- 186,000 miles and still going

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage, handling, standard features"

Cons: "Needs snow tires in the winter."

"I purchased this car new in 2002 and have put 186,000 miles on it at of January, 2012. It's MPG performance is great, though it has dropped a bit as the car aged. For the first 100,000 miles we averaged around 40 mpg (which is what it was rated); in the past two years this has dropped to around 34 -- higher in the summer, lower in the winter (we live in Buffalo, NY). It drives like a dream -- very tight turning circle, good acceleration, handles well on street or highway. It does require snow tires in the winter, however -- but with them it does just fine."

Toyota Hybrids for Life!!!

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and easy to park"

"I currently have 191,000 plus miles and the car has been terrific. I drive 80 highway miles daily to work and it has never put me down. Didnt change brake pads until 110,000 miles. Changed small battery twice and once under warranty. It recently started cutting off every 20 minutes of driving and discovered it was the main hybrid battery after taking it to 2 toyota dealers. The first dealer could not figure out the problem and after letting the car sit for a year at home i took it to a second dealer in memphis, tn and they discovered the main hybrid battery was bad. Spent a total of $3500 for the battery and labor it is running like a new car. I also had to change the 4 spark plug coil wires and plugs when the car had a miss in the motor. I thought for a minute that it was the motor going bad after spending all that money on the hybrid battery.However, I have put another 900 miles since and have had no more problems. I purchase a 2011 Prius during the time i let the 2002 sit a year in the driveway. It is the package 4 with leather and all the extras. However, I enjoy driving the 2002 within the city and to work!!!"

very good and relaible car

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"my experience with this car has been good overall and i would do it all over again. the mpg is all that was advertised and the ride is smooth and quite good."

I love my Prius

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, reliable, satisfying to drive"

Cons: "The left door panel needs some padding for my knee"

"The car is a creampuff. Toyota made a terrific car. Even after 10 years I still get 52-54 mpg mixing freeway and town driving. The car starts every time. I've had to put very little into repairs over the years. I have never had to replace the brakes. I replaced the small battery only twice in 10 years. The interior ergonomic design is superb. The 2002 is like a modified Corolla, but I've also driven the later models which are even better, more solid and powerful. The '02 is less comfortable and roomy than the later models."

Very disappointed

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Economical, environmentally conscious, trunk space"

Cons: "A novelty, first generation, upkeep $, reliability"

"The Transmission has gone out at 136,000 miles My car lost power, would not "shift" or go into a gear where it was going anywhere. After a month at the dealership and $4500.00 in repairs (a new inverter) it was determined that the transmission was damaged and it would cost another $5000.00 to fix it. I was not willing to put $10K into a 10 year old car; I replaced the hybrid battery after 100,000 miles (for $3000) and just had the fifth set of tires put on three months ago! It is a total loss now,so they just took the $2300 inverter out and my car is worth $500 as a trade-in, after the $400.00 diagnostic bill from Toyota! Even their techs are not really sure what is wrong with it."

Excellant Car..I just love it

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "great price, great mileage andno maintainance cost"

Cons: "not enough space in trunk."

"I purchased 2002 toyota prius last year when it had 107100 mileage on it. It had no issue in last one year and gives excellent average. Superb car. It is also depends upon your driving style and maintenance. Good Luck."

See if you qualify for