2001 Toyota Prius

Based on 129 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Have absolutely loved my original Prius.

By on Saturday, February 07, 2015

Pros: "roomy back seat, great gas mileage"

Cons: "not a sporty ride, has trouble going uphill"

"I was 17 when I bought my Prius and loved the "new" hybrid technology. Over the years, they have changed the car from a sedan look to a hatchback to something unrecognizable. I've always enjoyed scooting around Los Angeles and being able to fit in any compact spot. My car is getting on the older side now and I'm having a hard time deciding what can take my Prius's place."

Best car I ever bought

By on Monday, January 12, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, economic, roomy, good trunk space"

Cons: "Design was discontinued! Too bad!"

"I bought this second hand 13 years ago ... and I have never been unhappy with the purchase. Still getting over 42 mpg ave year round. I paid the car off early by routing gas savings to the payments. I live on a dirt road in Vermont ... the extra weight of the car is a real benefit in the winter ... though it does mean the tires wear faster than "regular" cars. But the gas savings have always more than compensated for that. I love my little car. I meet others with the same model around town and we all have nothing but good things to say. I am sad the design changed ... this model looked like a regular car and not the "turtle" look of the newer Prius."

No way I will go back to not Hibrids.

By on Saturday, December 27, 2014

Pros: "great car."

Cons: "would like to have space for fog lights."

"This car make me happy with the interior space as well as the development on the road and the city. Great car, my only regret is that I did not buy before. I just get a second one. And still using this one."

Most reliable batteries

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Quite small and therefore easy to park."

Cons: "Not very high horsepower."

"I am totally impressed that the original 220 volt battery lasted 13 years before giving out. The 12 volt battery lasted 11 years. That never happened on any other car I've owned. After all these years, gas mileage is still in the upper 30's when I am the driver (low 30's if it's my husband)."

Excellent shape mechanically. Body could use work

By on Monday, November 10, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, great sound system"

Cons: "body needs work"

"Car is in great mechanical shape. Clean interior, but exterior definitely shows age. Great gas mileage...over 40mpg!"

A Real Creampuff

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Pros: "Terrific turning radius, easy to drive"

Cons: "I'd like a little larger space in drivers seat"

"I have loved driving this car for 12 years. The maintenance is affordable, & the only major thing that went wrong was a fuel injector problem which appeared on a service bulletin. When I insisted that Toyota pay for the $1,300 repair, it did! AND it refunded my out-of-pocket on the diagnostic tests. Toyota really takes care of you. The only other major thing that went wrong in 12 years was the manifold needed cleaning ($600). I have replaced the small battery under the hood twice in 12 years($125 a pop). It has worked perfectly, handles like a dream, and I will never, ever go back to a full gas run car. The savings on fuel are tremendous. Even at 12 years old, I get 48 mpg in town, and way more on the highway."

Comfortable, easy to drive,navigate, handling

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Good visibility, handling, comfort. Reliable"

Cons: "It's older, doesn't get as good mpg as newer"

"I wish this car could last forever. I love the comfort, mpg, ease of navigation - secure driving, handling. Ideal car for a couple, not so good for family. Trunk is small, but we've used similar car with smaller trunk size. Back seat equally comfortable. Newer designs not nearly as good for seats, vision."

Typical Prius: Reliable; 37 MPG; New battery

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "Great price; extremely reliable; great mileage."

Cons: "Wish it had only 50.000 miles on it"

"We have relied on our Prius for five years and it is still running the same as when we bought it. There has been no need for major repairs. Toyota replaced the original battery with a new one in 2008 and that made us feel secure that we would not have to come up with big money to keep it running. Our shop says the battery is just still just fine. Our Prius is in good shape. Only minor body and interior repair would be necessary to put the car in perfect condition."

If Toyota still made this Prius, I'd buy it again!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pros: "Just about everything...great driving!"

Cons: "The driver's seat needs to slide back more."

"I wish Toyota still made this exact car; I'd buy it again at today's prices without even batting an eye. This car has been fabulous. It has more get-up-and-go than any car I've ever driven. I've had virtually no mechanical problems with the car in 12 years. The only thing I've replaced is a set of tires. It has held steady at 46mpg in summer driving, and 42/43mpg on winter gas. I drove across country at @ 80mph with the air conditioning blasting in summer and got 46.5 mpg in 2008. What a great car it's been. Mine is cosmetically challenged, but that's not the dear car's fault."

Very reliable, low gas consumption.

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"All maintenance by professionals. New 12V battery."

A fine car

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Good mpg, more reliable and cheaper than most cars"

Cons: "Braking can be slow to take hold, needs more space"

"Remember when the Prius just came out in 2000; everyone said any buyer will have to pay big bucks for a battery some time. Currently, I'm at 222,000 miles and never had to think battery. I did have to replace an inverter convertor at 186,000; I found a used one and had the work done by a non-dealer local hybrid expert which was much cheaper. I've been talking with other hybrid owners and they're at 280,000 and 350,000 so I figure I've got some miles I can still put on!"

Excellent car to own

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "45+ MPG, low maint cosy, super reliable"

Cons: "higher initial cost when new ($25k-$30K)"

"I've had the car since new and the OEM original brakes didn't need to be touched until 120K mikes. The HV battery reconditioning I did myself for only ~1,000 but would have only cost $1,700 to have done. The car has and still does get ~45 avg MPG but can do up to 50-60 MPG if you are not in a hurry and patient. Handling is AMAZING and the car hugs the road EXTREMLY well. The body has zero rust and the interior has not one rip or tear. This car is VERY well built and was the best investment I ever made. The DVD updates for the navigation system can be gotten online for ~$100 or less as well. Oil changes and trans fluid changes (the car does need a little lifting off the ground so you can get under it) are VERY easy to do. The interior air circulation has a very easy to replace filter and the engine air filter is changeable in seconds. There is NO WAY I will ever sell this car or part with it before 250K miles!"

I love my 2002 Prius!

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "great mileage, great small size"

"Just read Ron's review and had to post our experience -- not sure what "repair people" he spoke to, but my 2002 Prius has been the best! We have 3 cars and I always choose to drive the Prius, I think because it's a great size (small car convenience with plenty of room in the back seat) and handles well. It has about 220,000 miles and we've never had any major repairs, just the usual maintenance. Our issue is that our AC went out on it at about 200k miles--debating whether to spend the $ for a diagnosis. Just because "Ron" had a problem at 100k, don't assume that another Prius will -- ours is over 200k and going strong. We still get about 40 mpg even tho I commute highway to work; get higher around town."

Absolutely great car!

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Overall, a great car & economical to run."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Bought this car used in 2005 (I think). Haven't had a bit of major trouble with it. Maintenance done regularly. It fits my style and family of two dogs. Long distance trips (over 1,000 miles) were great."

Car totally broke down at 90k miles

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "First 90k miles a delight"

Cons: "Falls apart around 100k miles"

"Afer 12 great years and 90,000 miles, car broke down in multiple systems with estimated repairs over $6,000 plus $3,500 for battery. Broke down in middle of street, very dangerous, and had to be pushed to curb then towed. Was great car, now HORRIBLE, service people told us to never buy a used 2002 as it will fall apart around 100,000 miles."

super reliable easy on gas-low maintenance

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "economical-great second car"

Cons: "no key pad with car. can purchase if desired."

"great for a second car-good for local driving and very economical."

1 of the best I ever owned

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Gets 30 mpg. All new tires October 23, 2013"

"Would recommend it to anyone. People are amazed when they find out how old it is, still gets great mileage (mostly short hops in city driving!"

Wonderful experience every time I drive!

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "Efficient, Snappy Torque, Well designed"

Cons: "None!"

"I bought this car recently with 150,000 miles, and I absolutely love it! The mileage is wonderful; 52 mpg is what I got in the summer, and now when it is colder, I'm getting 45-46 mpg. The interior is beautifully set up, although the shifter is in the way of being able to see the volume and tune button on the radio. My Prius has plenty of snap for me, making accelerations for passing and merging a breeze. The brakes are amazing: I've never driven a car with better braking control. With 150,000 miles, the shocks are a little stiff when going over bumps, and may need replacing. And the recommended oil change intervals by Toyota are great! 7,500 miles for highway driving, and 5,000 miles for city. I changed the oil, and then when there were 2,000 miles on the oil change I checked the level, and it was right to where I filled it to, and the oil was golden amber colored still! I love when I drive in all electric mode, it is even quieter than it usually is. While in electric mode, the vehicle is silent, except for a little hum from the electric motor and wind and tire noise! I highly recommend a Toyota Prius, "They make more than just a statement!""

AWESOME, BEAUTIFUL, SAFE, ECONOMICAL

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"After just a few months with it I have put 3162 miles on it. My car is averaging at 40 mpg. I had previously owned an Accord. Now that I have my car I think I hate my Accord. Buy this car. GOOD JOB TOYOTA."

2002 Prius sedan, fabulous car!

By on Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pros: "see below"

Cons: "see below"

"I have loved my Prius from day one. I average 50 mph for distance driving, and my lowest average ever (in ten and a half years) was about 44 mph when just putzing around town for weeks on end. I take excellent care of this car, don't let anyone else drive it, keep it garaged when possible, and service it on schedule with Toyota. But more than all that, it's just a GREAT CAR. I haven't had a single engine problem yet, it still looks fine and people think it's a lot newer than it is, the visibility and comfort are exceptional, the turning radius is superb, and it's just an excellent design and machine. The single problem with the car is that the front tires wear out quickly and need to be replaced too often. Also one of my window buttons wore out. Still, not bad for ten and a half years. I plan to keep this car for at least ten more years......if the Hawaii ocean winds don't rust out the body first! I'm even planning on picking up another one of this same model for my Mainland car."

Good Gas Mileage -- But is it Worth it?

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Great Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Reliability"

"I have owned this car for over 70,000 miles (now has 162,000). We purchased it for the gas mileage. We have consistently gotten around 42 mpg, which is the best feature. However, we have had to put $$$ in repairs. Charging system was replaced ($3500, not including the battery); battery ($2800); power steering pump (part of the hybrid system - $500); Steering Rack Assembly ($2800 part I found re-built); frame bolts loose ($100 to tighten--after replacing cv joints through misdiagnosis. We bought the car expecting to save money over our 20 mpg minivan. We should have kept the minivan! To be honest, though, the Toyota service people said this is not the norm for a 2002 Prius and suggested we simply purchased a lemon."

VERY DANGEROUS VEHICLE

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "NOT MANY TO MENTION"

Cons: "IT COULD KILL YOU"

"BAD STEERING ,BAD BRAKES UNRELIABLE CAR LOST STEERING PS WARNING LIGHTS ON ABS WARNING AND DEALER WON`T FIX IT TOYOTA GIVES RUNAROUND I ADVIZE PEOPLE DON`T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND POSSIBLY YOUR LIFE"

Best ever

By on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pros: "Best car I have ever owned and I've had a dozen"

Cons: "Needs new tires every year, almost."

"Ice, snow, poor visibility, deer herds, high gas prices, the Prius deals with it. For a decade I have crammed this car with dogs, kids, horse grain, groceries, landscaping plants and given it very little attention and no repairs (do replace tires every 18 months). Purchased a Prius because of zero emissions, but it has turned out to be my best performing, most economical vehicle and that's not factoring in the money saved due to the 46 mpg I get on Maine roads. Comfortable for 6-foot-2 frame, roomy enough for family, pets and stuff. Reliable and inexpensive. I have never loved a car, but may be close with this one."

Reliable comfortable and economical transportation

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Saves time by letting you into the HOV lanes."

Cons: "New main battery is ~ $3K"

"Reliable, comfortable and economical transportation for the last 150,000 miles."

11 Years of No Problems

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, high quality and fuel efficient"

Cons: "Exterior and interior on the spartan side"

"This is one of the best autos I've ever owned. Dependable, obviously fuel efficient and fun to drive, it is a high quality vehicle that is close to perfect. I should add that it is more of a workhorse than show horse, convertible roadster it is not. While cleanly attractive, there is nothing fancy or eye catching about the interior or exterior. However, for dependable, economic and comfortable transportation it simply cannot be beat."