2001 Toyota Prius

Based on 126 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Most reliable batteries

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Quite small and therefore easy to park."

Cons: "Not very high horsepower."

"I am totally impressed that the original 220 volt battery lasted 13 years before giving out. The 12 volt battery lasted 11 years. That never happened on any other car I've owned. After all these years, gas mileage is still in the upper 30's when I am the driver (low 30's if it's my husband)."

Excellent shape mechanically. Body could use work

By on Monday, November 10, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, great sound system"

Cons: "body needs work"

"Car is in great mechanical shape. Clean interior, but exterior definitely shows age. Great gas mileage...over 40mpg!"

A Real Creampuff

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Pros: "Terrific turning radius, easy to drive"

Cons: "I'd like a little larger space in drivers seat"

"I have loved driving this car for 12 years. The maintenance is affordable, & the only major thing that went wrong was a fuel injector problem which appeared on a service bulletin. When I insisted that Toyota pay for the $1,300 repair, it did! AND it refunded my out-of-pocket on the diagnostic tests. Toyota really takes care of you. The only other major thing that went wrong in 12 years was the manifold needed cleaning ($600). I have replaced the small battery under the hood twice in 12 years($125 a pop). It has worked perfectly, handles like a dream, and I will never, ever go back to a full gas run car. The savings on fuel are tremendous. Even at 12 years old, I get 48 mpg in town, and way more on the highway."

Comfortable, easy to drive,navigate, handling

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Good visibility, handling, comfort. Reliable"

Cons: "It's older, doesn't get as good mpg as newer"

"I wish this car could last forever. I love the comfort, mpg, ease of navigation - secure driving, handling. Ideal car for a couple, not so good for family. Trunk is small, but we've used similar car with smaller trunk size. Back seat equally comfortable. Newer designs not nearly as good for seats, vision."

Typical Prius: Reliable; 37 MPG; New battery

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "Great price; extremely reliable; great mileage."

Cons: "Wish it had only 50.000 miles on it"

"We have relied on our Prius for five years and it is still running the same as when we bought it. There has been no need for major repairs. Toyota replaced the original battery with a new one in 2008 and that made us feel secure that we would not have to come up with big money to keep it running. Our shop says the battery is just still just fine. Our Prius is in good shape. Only minor body and interior repair would be necessary to put the car in perfect condition."

If Toyota still made this Prius, I'd buy it again!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pros: "Just about everything...great driving!"

Cons: "The driver's seat needs to slide back more."

"I wish Toyota still made this exact car; I'd buy it again at today's prices without even batting an eye. This car has been fabulous. It has more get-up-and-go than any car I've ever driven. I've had virtually no mechanical problems with the car in 12 years. The only thing I've replaced is a set of tires. It has held steady at 46mpg in summer driving, and 42/43mpg on winter gas. I drove across country at @ 80mph with the air conditioning blasting in summer and got 46.5 mpg in 2008. What a great car it's been. Mine is cosmetically challenged, but that's not the dear car's fault."

Very reliable, low gas consumption.

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"All maintenance by professionals. New 12V battery."

A fine car

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Good mpg, more reliable and cheaper than most cars"

Cons: "Braking can be slow to take hold, needs more space"

"Remember when the Prius just came out in 2000; everyone said any buyer will have to pay big bucks for a battery some time. Currently, I'm at 222,000 miles and never had to think battery. I did have to replace an inverter convertor at 186,000; I found a used one and had the work done by a non-dealer local hybrid expert which was much cheaper. I've been talking with other hybrid owners and they're at 280,000 and 350,000 so I figure I've got some miles I can still put on!"

Excellent car to own

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "45+ MPG, low maint cosy, super reliable"

Cons: "higher initial cost when new ($25k-$30K)"

"I've had the car since new and the OEM original brakes didn't need to be touched until 120K mikes. The HV battery reconditioning I did myself for only ~1,000 but would have only cost $1,700 to have done. The car has and still does get ~45 avg MPG but can do up to 50-60 MPG if you are not in a hurry and patient. Handling is AMAZING and the car hugs the road EXTREMLY well. The body has zero rust and the interior has not one rip or tear. This car is VERY well built and was the best investment I ever made. The DVD updates for the navigation system can be gotten online for ~$100 or less as well. Oil changes and trans fluid changes (the car does need a little lifting off the ground so you can get under it) are VERY easy to do. The interior air circulation has a very easy to replace filter and the engine air filter is changeable in seconds. There is NO WAY I will ever sell this car or part with it before 250K miles!"

I love my 2002 Prius!

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "great mileage, great small size"

"Just read Ron's review and had to post our experience -- not sure what "repair people" he spoke to, but my 2002 Prius has been the best! We have 3 cars and I always choose to drive the Prius, I think because it's a great size (small car convenience with plenty of room in the back seat) and handles well. It has about 220,000 miles and we've never had any major repairs, just the usual maintenance. Our issue is that our AC went out on it at about 200k miles--debating whether to spend the $ for a diagnosis. Just because "Ron" had a problem at 100k, don't assume that another Prius will -- ours is over 200k and going strong. We still get about 40 mpg even tho I commute highway to work; get higher around town."